Captain
I recently re-spec'ed my skill tree from my first noob-tree to a more focused one. In doing such, I maxed out power insulators in the hopes that it would help me when facing siphon drones/energy drain builds. Unfortunately, that is not what happened. When facing just one carrier that was running 2 hangars of siphon drones, the drones would take me down to 0 engines power and 0 weapons power within about 2-4 seconds. Shouldn't fully spec'ed power insulators help against this? It honestly felt no different running 9 points in that skill as running 0. Is this working as intended?

p.s. This is not about siphons or any other energy drain power, but it's about why the skill that is meant to counter these energy drains doesn't actually counter them.
Captain
# 2
11-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I think ghosty mentioned this in another thread. It definitely appears that SPI's one of the skills that's not functioning in the way one would assume that it would.

There are a few that say they do X, but they don't always do X. Some say they do Y, but they never do Y when dealing with Z...

...it definitely needs a QA pass - because it's borked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-02-2012, 12:37 AM
My testing is a few weeks old, but from what I could tell, Insulators in general do what they're supposed to. The one exception is the Siphon Drones, who are not affected by insulator resist whatsoever. In addition, their drain can not be countered by EPtoX, Batteries, or anything else.
Captain
# 4
11-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Actualy the drones probably are affected by power insulators, the problem is they tick too many times. Even if you had 99% resistance to them, given sufficient numbers and time they would drain you dry.

The problem with power insulators in general is that they reduce each incomming "attack" instead providing cap on how much can be drained from your system.