Lieutenant
# 1 The feeling of MMO leaving?
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Ill say first, that I've enjoyed the fact that many aspects of STO has moved to queues and the UI.

But I think that too much of that game has moved to the queues. Including the stores. The STF store is about to move to the reputation window. So now with the queue, we don't have to leave where we are to interact face to face with someone's character to play or buy.

Traditionally in mmo's if you wanted to buy something or get something, you traveled to a NPC. If you wanted to coordinate a raid, you meet up with other players. This gave you a more immersive feeling. And I'm afraid that this feeling is slowly exiting STO.

I believe we are trading and true experience for convenience.

Queues are great and convenience is good. But too much of a good thing can be bad. In this case, I think its true.

Thanks for listening.
Career Officer
# 2
11-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head here.

Specifically the ability to buy everything remotely now. We will no longer need to goto DS9 for STF Gear, All Romulan Gear will be via the reputation system.... with the fleet bases having banks, embassies having exchanges... I think some of these current hubs will become ghost towns... the game feels like we are moving back to a single player style...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
Captain
# 3
11-02-2012, 11:23 AM
As far as I am concerned the less zoning the better. I am sick and tired of needing to waste time zoning or transwarping all over the place just to get something done. And it is not as if needing to go to DS9 forces anyone to interact with others. Beaming in, running over and getting what you want, and then beaming out isn't role-playing or socializing. It is just wasting time. Time sinks are not role-playing, and avoiding them does not mean you role-play less or more.
Career Officer
# 4
11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
I'd like to think that the New Romulas adventure zone will help remedy this feeling of becoming a lobby based game. We'll have a zone that will have a variety of reasons for people to be there, not just one reason (i.e. like the queued instances). This should present the opportunity, the chance, of unscripted encounters between people - the essence of any socially successful MMO that I have ever played. Cryptic have not delivered such a zone in the past with STO and the real challenge, as I see it, will be in maintaining the zone's activity once people attain Tier V reputation.

As for loading screens, I think Cryptic AND Perfect World really need to address this going forward, and not just for this game. Its archaic in this day and age, where other titles have demonstrated that it is possible to shift instances via a phased loading approach without interrupting the player's experience. It concerns me that we are not hearing any news from the Executive Producer about Cryptic's Core technology team's efforts to create a better system.
nynik | Join Date: Dec 2009
<Dev> Oaks@dstahl: *checks for CBS listening devices in the office*

Last edited by nynik; 11-02-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
11-03-2012, 12:24 AM
Isn't this just part of the game's increasing emphasis on fleets? At this rate, soon your fleet starbase will be the only hub you need bother visiting anymore to get stuff done, and general-gaming-population hubs will be nothing more than glorified social zones, as though Club 47 expanded to include all of ESD.
Captain
# 6
11-03-2012, 12:35 AM
The social interaction I'n this game is poor
To begin with having npc vendors and not player
Vendors like swg had.

Now the npc vendors are going away so
Why travel anywhere unless it's to do a mission

Pretty much blows away having any kind of
Long distance ship like a freighter doesn't it ?

Social interaction will take a hit for sure
Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Empire Veteran
# 7
11-04-2012, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post

Specifically the ability to buy everything remotely now. We will no longer need to goto DS9 for STF Gear, All Romulan Gear will be via the reputation system.... with the fleet bases having banks, embassies having exchanges... I think some of these current hubs will become ghost towns... the game feels like we are moving back to a single player style...
You mean I do not have to try to drill in past the lag to visit my least favorite place in all of Star Trek? Thank Q!

But that said, I do not like the new rep system more based on it being another ENORMOUS Dilithium sink to go along with the already enormous sinks more than anything. That 8K barrier should just be done away with.
Lieutenant
# 8
11-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny111971 View Post

Agreed!

All these "Conveniences" are making this game feel like a single player game rather then a MMO....

Its 1 reason im considering going back to FFXIV for a while...or TOR. I miss the MMO feeling
Republic Veteran
# 9 Fleet Starbase
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Im hoping they will gives us an exchange for the Fleet Starbases, so the Fleets can use them for our hubs instead.

I prefer to hang with the fleet than a bunch of strangers.

Those are the same strangers who keep asking to be my friend just because of my costume.
Career Officer
# 10
11-03-2012, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdang View Post
I believe we are trading and true experience for convenience.

Queues are great and convenience is good. But too much of a good thing can be bad. In this case, I think its true.
This I totally agree with. I think queues for STFs and Fleet Actions where a good thing. No more waiting and group gathering through zone chat. Everything else, all this remotely accessible stuff has gone way to far. I mean, it's a space game, it's Star Trek. We should be out there, not siting at ESD waiting for a queue to pop, replicating things for projects and maintaining projects through some interface.

The only times I'm leaving Sol these days is to look for a couple DOFF assignments or to do a daily or two. And everything else like Fleet Starbase or other major hubs are connected via Transwarp, so no need to really travel somewhere.

Not long ago while playing Guild Wars 2 a thought suddenly came over me. How much more of an explorer feeling I had there than in Star Trek, where I more feel like in a fish bowl. Really a weird feeling that was.
-----------------------
decker999

Last edited by decker03; 11-03-2012 at 03:55 AM.