Starfleet Veteran
# 1 PvP ranking system
11-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello all.

I see a lot of talk about PvP and how it needs to be fixed. If it does ever get fixed then I'd like to put my 2 cents in.

I've played a few PvP matches and from those matches but it seemed painfully clear that people who PvP spend a hell of a lot of time perfecting their builds to the point of ultimate alpha strikes and incredible endurance. I'm not saying that that's necessarily how it actually is, I'm basing this on my experience only.

I found it quite off-putting as I don't really want to spend the time it takes to make those master builds, plus I make my builds to be balanced between effectiveness and fun. I know that some of the fun things I do wouldn't cut it in PvP. Based on that I found myself not really wanting to participate any further in PvP.

If PvP is ever revamped PWE may want to encourage newer players by creating a ranking system that groups players of similar rank in to the same matches. That or have a standard lobby and an elite lobby like the STFs. This sort of system would encourage people like myself, people who wouldn't mind the occasional dabble without really getting in to it, to visit the PvP arena.
Captain
# 2
11-03-2012, 11:53 AM
We have a PVP forum. This is headed there ;-)
Captain
# 3
11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Can't really argue against this to be honest, thing is that STO just doesn't have the playerbase to statistically rank its users (at the minute teams are lumped in with solo queuers to save on already-long queue times, where coordination heavily tilts victory odds).

vids and guides and stuff

[9:52] [Zone #11] Neal@trapper1532: im a omega force shadow oprative and a maoc elite camander and here i am taking water samples
Career Officer
# 4
11-03-2012, 12:11 PM
There are only really a couple hundred PVPers, and the vast majority are in OPVP and even know each other. We all know where we stand. A leadrboard would be lovely but other things need to come first to make it viable.
Captain
# 5
11-03-2012, 12:23 PM
It's a gamble.

As has been pointed out, there really aren't enough players to segregate the queues in that sense. One might say though, that if it was separated like that - there might be more players. But that's a gamble.

Considering the work on the systems/mechanics that would be needed for that - the manner in which they would have to determine who fit in where - it could end up being a lot of work for nothing.

So again, as has been pointed out - there are other things that really need to be addressed as well. Those things, mind you, will not only make PvP more enjoyable for those that do currently participate - they could very well make PvP more inviting for other players. It's not a gamble - it's a fix with a potential bonus.

That potential bonus, could lead to the increased playerbase in PvP - which in turn could lead to the work being done on such a system where it wouldn't be as much of a gamble.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
11-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I agree that such a ranking system would be very helpful for improving everyone's PvP experience.

But how would the algorithm rank people? By DPS/HPS? By "activity"? By "matches won"?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Promote what you love, instead of bashing what you hate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...lM_skuv4#t=584