Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
I was going to wait for another "ask Cryptic", but it seems that someone forgot to collect questions :-)

I'd like to know - since Mr. Stahl mentioned the eta for saucer seperation of the Galaxy-X during Season 7 - when will we see it? And will it be fleet version, or just an upgrade to the saucer sep console? Any other stats you guys can share? Like an extra console slot? or maybe a universal Lt.Cmdr BO slot? something like that... anything? pretty please?

P.S. While you are at it... can you please move all the Galaxy-X upgradeparts back to the center of the ship where they belong? Thank you! :-)
Captain
# 2
11-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I hope it never gets saucer sep, because then the Galaxy-R will be truly worthless.
Career Officer
# 3
11-17-2012, 05:07 PM
oh come on peeps... no body else intrested in this information except this freindly gloomster up here?
Career Officer
# 4
11-17-2012, 05:08 PM
i would love a fleet galaxy X but that be about it for me uesd the ship up till the new one you see in my display pic
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
11-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostysly View Post
oh come on peeps... no body else intrested in this information except this freindly gloomster up here?
I can't say that I am, sorry. I've considered buying the Galaxy retrofit, but I couldn't bring myself to get the Dreadnought. It just doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not sure why a saucer separation would even work for a Dreadnought. The spinal phaser is supposed to be directly connected to the stardrive section and the warp core. That's... not something I can foresee being easily separated.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stofsk View Post
I can't say that I am, sorry. I've considered buying the Galaxy retrofit, but I couldn't bring myself to get the Dreadnought. It just doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not sure why a saucer separation would even work for a Dreadnought. The spinal phaser is supposed to be directly connected to the stardrive section and the warp core. That's... not something I can foresee being easily separated.
Its not directly connected, if you look you see a line on the phaser lance, its easily explained how there can be connection power modules that detach so the saucer can still seperate. It was never STATED that it could not, even the diamond select models of the galaxy x that i own can seperate and shows where it does on the model. So unless its been stated in tv, its not un-cannon for it to be able to seperate. I get tired of people saying it cant because of the lance, it could probally hold one charge of the lance after seperating its connections.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
Its not directly connected, if you look you see a line on the phaser lance, its easily explained how there can be connection power modules that detach so the saucer can still seperate. It was never STATED that it could not, even the diamond select models of the galaxy x that i own can seperate and shows where it does on the model. So unless its been stated in tv, its not un-cannon for it to be able to seperate. I get tired of people saying it cant because of the lance, it could probally hold one charge of the lance after seperating its connections.
Back when the devs were planning a Galaxy-X that could separate, they had intentions to modify the phaser lance such that in separation mode, you could still fire it, but with a weaker, 'shotgun-like' effect as opposed to the mega-phaser blast it is capable of in docked mode.

Although the tech was created (and improved upon), to the extent that Chris Fisher was shown a demo on the now-defunct STOked podcast, the reason the Galaxy pack didn't get released was because they couldn't figure out how to charge money to add the separation upgrade for people who already had the Galaxy-X. The Galaxy Pack was thus taken off the release calendar and put on indefinite hold.

I'd link the relevant post, but the information was related back before the forums got destroyed. You'll have to take my word for it.

I used to be able to play STO, but then Season 9 happened. | Join Date: Dec 2009
1000 Paper Cuts for Star Trek Online
Survivor of Romulus
# 8
11-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan512 View Post
You're right that they never said on TV that they can't perform a saucer separation, so it could be possible. Having looked at screencaps of 'All Good Things...' from TrekCore, I have to say I still remain dubious. The phaser lance module just looks like it is too far merged with the neck to really be easily dislodged.

Then again, I have to assume that refitting the Galaxy-class to hold the phaser lance would not have been too invasive for the ship's superstructure, otherwise what would be the point - it would be better to design a new ship class built around the phaser lance rather than plug the lance onto a pre-existing class. So, eh - I really don't have any horse in this race to be honest.
Captain
# 9
11-17-2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulleatherjacket View Post
I hope it never gets saucer sep, because then the Galaxy-R will be truly worthless.
naw the ops oddy already did that

i still love my obsolete galaxy though
Captain
# 10
11-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpgtx View Post
naw the ops oddy already did that
I would argue that the ops oddy is worthless too because of the tac oddy.