Commander
So most folks should finish Tier 1 Omega and Romulan levels by Sat. Has anyone already decided what you'll choose as your tier 1 captain skills?

For Omega I figure I'll choose the Weapon proficiency boost. And for Romulan I'll choose the enhanced personal shield boost.

If anyone is going to pick different I'd love to hear reasons why.
Ensign
# 2
11-16-2012, 02:30 AM
I'd like to choose omega weapon proficiency but am currently maxed out at 99 on that skill rank.
Does anyone know if this would push the skill up to 129 or if the 99 is a maximum cap?

Should've checked on tribble whilst I had the chance
Career Officer
# 3
11-16-2012, 02:35 AM
I'm going with the Critical Chance and the Health Regen from the Omega Reputation. Because increased chance at criticals to me is more viable than a raw increase in shields and weapons.

Last edited by azurianstar; 11-16-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-16-2012, 02:44 AM
I mostly operate in space, so that's the start of my thought process right there. Might go for criticals since as a cruiser pilot, I don't usually have to worry too much about shields unless I'm doing something wrong. Haven't even started thinking along these lines with my alts, though.

I wonder if someone at Cryptic was really into XCOM during S7's development? The new Reputation skills are structured almost exactly like XCOM's soldier specialization. Granted, XCOM is hardly the first to do that, but it is one of the most recent examples.
Career Officer
# 5
11-16-2012, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by delsaberedux View Post
I mostly operate in space, so that's the start of my thought process right there. Might go for criticals since as a cruiser pilot, I don't usually have to worry too much about shields unless I'm doing something wrong. Haven't even started thinking along these lines with my alts, though.
FYI Tier 1 and 3 are Ground, Tier 2 and 4 are Space.
Career Officer
# 6
11-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
FYI Tier 1 and 3 are Ground, Tier 2 and 4 are Space.
Yeah, I was happy to see it set up that way. The way they were phrasing it made it sound like each tier would make you choose between either Ground or Space skill. In that case, almost nobody would pick Ground skills since the focus of most players is Space. This way ensures you get some of both.
Captain
# 7
11-16-2012, 02:49 AM
They all seem equally worthless, meh @ passive stats.
If you had to code something easier than changing a few numbers around, what would it be, because I can't think of anything

Most npcs I fight blast my shields first round they fire and I don't rely on crit hits to get the job done.

The bug spray > reputation passives

1) it's free
2) no cooldown
3) has an animation

My advice to people though is to go with either dps or tanking purely, so if you pick the shield ones pick everything that works with shields and vice versa, not that you will feel or see any marginal difference
Empire Veteran
# 8
11-16-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
I'm going with the Critical Chance and the Health Regen from the Omega Reputation. Because increased chance at criticals to me is more viable than a raw increase in shields and weapons.
The only reason you'd really want to get that shield boost is if you are wanting to ground tank, and pull aggro from big baddies. Even if you don't, things like the Borg insta-pop your shields no matter HOW much you have in it. So I will probably be going with the same as you are, Azurian.

Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I've been fairly comfortable with my survivability, and even all the defensive options on both tracks won't stop a oneshot, so I'm probably taking the offensive options. 30 weapons skill might be boring, but not an insignificant damage boost.
Career Officer
# 10
11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
The defensive skills are worthless against enemies that can drop your shields with a single shot and drop you with two more.

Increased Crit Chance and Weapons Proficiency are the only skills worth anything for any of my characters (Tac/Sci/Eng). Health regen is what Hypos/Cordrazine are for...
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012