Empire Veteran
Greetings all,

I posed this question to the forums well over a year ago and it was pretty much panned at that time so I thought I?d bring it up again and see what the perception is on the idea this time.

Here?s a quick break down:

Let?s say that Cryptic offers a quality series of missions or a block of one off missions that scaled to the level of the player and could be run whenever we chose to run them and were tailored to both factions.

Let?s say that the DLC also included a new Bridge Officer (perhaps someone from the story contained in the missions) and new DLC exclusive equipment and Doffs and perhaps even Ships.

Let?s say that the asking price for these new DLC was setup like this:

$15.00 for F2P

$5.00 for Lifetime and Gold subscription holders

The above is just a very rough outline but I?m sure it presents the general idea that I?m trying to get across.

ATM STO offers very little incentive to hold a membership and the above idea would help out a bit in that area.

I know that most are already saying ?members should not have to pay extra for game content? but come on we all know that that ship has long since sailed.

I don?t think anything else will ever be added to STO unless it can be seen has profitable to PWE and I fear that it also includes regular non foundry created missions and story driven content.

I has a Lifer since open beta really do not mind the idea of paying for content has long has the content is enjoyable and worth the price I?m being asked to pay for it.

Thanks for your time!
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
11-16-2012, 12:42 PM
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Empire Veteran
# 3
11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwebranflakes View Post
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
and I personaly love that about Cryptic.
Richard Hamilton (1975-2014)
goodbye good friend. We will see you in the DMZ in the sky oneday, save a shot for us.
Empire Veteran
# 4
11-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
There are no current plans to charge players for missions -- PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Thanks for the response flakes!

I?ve heard that PWE position on game content is a no charge approach; however, I need to know if this also includes non-grinding content has well?

I?ve been begging for new story progress missions and new story arcs for STO for quite some time now and it?s getting harder and harder to wait for it.

Thanks again
Career Officer
# 5
11-16-2012, 01:12 PM
It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Quote:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurianstar View Post
It was brought up a couple of times that people would pay for an expansion if it really added tons of new content.

Well nobody can complain about Free. But seems things are slow with expanding STO, like it's a little bit at a time, if you know what I mean. Could you imagine if you opened up areas of the Galaxy with enough content that kept people busy for months without repeating the same missions over and over? That be the cats meow.

Agreed,

The type of content that I looking for shows up maybe once a year.

What about new missions that fit in with the Fed missions that we used to level our Toons with the 1st time out in STO, will we ever see missions like those again?

I know that we have foundry missions but Foundry missions just do not fill the void for me.

The Klingon Alpha mission was a great one off mission and I'd love to see more Cryptic made missions like it.
Commander
# 7
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
paying for the type of missions that cryptic has written wouldn't work. while there have been a handfull of good missions, i'd say the majority aren't very fun or interesting. if i don't want to play them for free, i'm certainly not going to pay to play them, knowing that there's maybe a ten percent chance that they'll be any good. lots of people would feel ripped off when they find that its just more of the same.

however there is one area where it would probably work well... canon missions. this is something that is almost completely lacking in sto. the 2800 missions is probably the only set of missions that has truely captivated me, because it's so closely related to canon events. but it mostly wore off after playing them once when i realized that it was just a good idea wrapped in more of the same... run a million miles, fight a million mini-battles, scan a million things, etc.

i want truely well though out ways to play through iconic events in star trek history. i want to mine the wormhole, i want to fight alien nazi's, i want to destroy the xindi weapon, and i want to retake chintoka...etc.

from what i can recall from reading the foundry tos a while back, it looked like there cant be anything too canon in-game because cryptic doesn't want to pay licensing fees on additions to the game. but charging per play for the licensed content seems like a perfect way to make it work. something like $2.99 for a series of missions that represents a multi-part episode, with replays costing like 49 cents. or a monthly subscription for like $10 for the canon missions, with one new series guaranteed each month.

this kind of content selling wouldn't have worked before, but now that the game is f2p, and we have the ability to only pay for what we want to pay for, i think it would be easy for cryptic to pull it off, and make it very successful.

so please, make it so, and i'll pay cash money for it...
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Commander
# 8
11-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Quote:
PWE and Cryptic's general F2P gameplay philosophy is that missions are free. This philosophy can be found currently through all Cryptic and PWE games.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 9
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Funny last time I checked Champions Online was run by Cryptic and you DID have to use c-store credits to do special mission chains unless you were a gold member.
I commented about that here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...11&postcount=7

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Commander
# 10
11-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerkorhil View Post
Pretty sure he emphasized "was". Since the PWE merger all content has been free to download and play. For as greedy as people think PWE to be, I don't think they'd allow paid content anyway.
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting

Last edited by lewstelamon01; 11-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.