Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
Ok, I was ready across a Hive STF post in FED gameplay. Someone posted that the only thing harder that the Borg would be the Q. That got me thinking.
I think Q created the Borg.
Captain
# 2
11-18-2012, 02:19 PM
why do you think that?

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-18-2012, 02:26 PM
I sincerely doubt that the Q would create the Borg. It's more likely that the Borg stemmed from a single species that embraced technology a little too much, and began to wage a campaign against neighbouring systems. After successful defeats and mechanical assimilation of their technology and denizens as slaves, they expanded, laying the seeds of the frightening breadth of Borg space.
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
11-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Dont shoot the messenger here but Star Trek Legacy provides an idea
The Borg came from Motion picture , and they wanted to become perfect, like in the motion picture and then ... well they die beacuse I kill them all the time

Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!
Commander
# 5
11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
There are many theories on the origins of the Borg. Some of William Shatner's novels gave one story that the Borg descended from the Voyager probes.

Another set of books puts their origins on a world displaced from time by a disaster and eventually they rejoin their "mother race".

Who knows the true origins of the Borg?
Lagging, D/Cing, or rubberbanding? Here's some help.

Current ships: A lot. RTR 15 National Championships....and counting
Captain
# 6
11-18-2012, 02:56 PM
As stated there are many theories, some semi-official, some not - if I recall correctly in the Japanese Star Trek comics it was implied that it happened as a result of the actions of the original Enterprise or something like that; I forget the details.

The one that STO seems to espouse is the V'ger theory - you can find this by looking at Red Alerts. The instakill torp is virtually identical to V'ger's instakill weapon, and perhaps more importantly the mothership references V'ger in the combat logs - I forget the precise name, but it's in there, or at least used to be.

That said, I personally find it unlikely Q actually created the Borg. If anything, he may be trying to STOP the Borg. If you look at it in a longer cycle, it could be argued that Q "encouraging" the first contact with the Borg actually saved humanity and the Federation, instead of the Borg catching them by complete surprise.
Captain
# 7
11-18-2012, 03:50 PM
The last one is saw was from the Destiny novels

Spoiler below

In the books, the Borg originated from part of the crew of the NX02 and the Caeliar after going back in time thanks to the destruction of the Caeliar homeworld

Spoiler above
http://www.auroratrek.com/index.html
Captain
# 8
11-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Dont shoot the messenger here but Star Trek Legacy provides an idea
The Borg came from Motion picture , and they wanted to become perfect, like in the motion picture and then ... well they die beacuse I kill them all the time
The Borg are not the V'ger aliens.
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
11-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundrelic View Post
The Borg are not the V'ger aliens.
He's not saying that the Borg are the Aliens that modified V'ger.

What he is saying is that the Borg could be considered "descendants" of V'ger.

This is originally mentioned as part of the backstory for the Video Game Star Trek Legacy, and STO seems to follow this, based on some of the attacks from the Unimatrix-Type Borg Vessels.
Originally KiraYamato before the Account Linking - True Join Date August 2008

"In the game of war, there are no clear rules you can follow." - Andrew Waltfeld
Rihannsu
# 10
11-19-2012, 03:16 AM
The official origins of the borg have been mentioned by the queen guinan, and a few others as just having evolved over thousands of years.

i know the whole V'ger thing has been mentioned from time to time but outside of shatner's books, it does not really add up.

either way, that does not really explain what Q has to do with any of this, or why they would create them in the first place?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission