Career Officer
# 1 Leeches
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
What is a Leech?

Since the dil shortage they are now a common occurance for the game. They are people who join STF's or borg alert ect. and just sit there waiting for others to do all the work so they can get their marks.

Now I am not going to argue semantics or small points. I am going to put forth a way how we can take a active role in this problem besides filling out tickets and HOPING something will be done.

I for one will bring action in any fleet that I belong to any member caught doing this.

I also am asking for Fleet leaders and senior officers to put there voice in here so they may be contacted also if a member in their fleet was a issue.

I will starting today be asking all my fleets to report issues to me and will send out notifications to the fleets that these leeches are in. Fleet leaders. It is your responsibly to make sure that your members represented your fleet in the manor you wish it to be.

I realize this will not solve the issue, and leaders, and admirals of fleets may be doing this as well. But sitting and doing nothing is as good as helping them do it.

So please contact me if you have seen this issue with one of the fleet members below.

Stonewall@lordharconan -

Fed
Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet - 272 members and growing
Admiral of the Liquidators of the Divine Vault - 30 profit members and growing

KDF
Grand Nagus of the House of One - 50 STF warriors
General of the House of Omega - 100 warriors and growing
Stonewall@LordHarconan

Lifetime Member
Vice Admiral of the Omega Family Fleet
(228 members and growing)
Career Officer
# 2
11-25-2012, 11:00 PM
wow i saw this before season 7 from year one but now happy im not the only one now
swimwear off risa not fixed
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
It's not their fault you feel trolled by the new ability to be immune to your disco ball, sorry'boutit.
Captain
# 3
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlofthar View Post
What is a Leech?
AFK "warriors " ?
Yeah , nothing new sadly .
What is curious is that you are noticing them now .
Did you miss the surge when the game went F2P ?
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Republic Veteran
# 4
11-26-2012, 01:13 AM
We used to have a major problem with this in a competing MMO. Then they eventually added the Kick feature which allowed group members to vote out a member that was not doing their job. I hope Cryptic will soon implement the same measure.

I have come out publicly in ESD chat about one individual in particular that I have gotten stuck with 3 times and each time, he has several unhealed inuries, some critical, and all he does is just run around, aggroing Borg to attack us. Then, after he has gotten us killed a few times, he AFKs till we end up finishing the instance. He is just as much a troll as he is a leech. I have in fact reported him but of course I have no way to know if that had any effect. I guess if I end up with him again, I will know it didn't.

Sadly, even if fleet leaders and others did come together there is no way to prevent people like this from jumping in the que. Someone will eventually end up with them and they will have to deal with the problem. I know the idea may be to get them cast out from their current fleet, but again, I think that's a pointless venture. There are so many fleets out there desperate for members that some fleet leaders will overlook what one member may be doing with the hope that they will still give to fleet and embassy projects.

I think the only reasonable solution is to hope Cryptic develops a Kick system that works well for these issues. I doubt there will be any abuse of the system. In the competing MMO, it worked VERY well and many players are happy to have the tool. It worked so well in fact most notorious AFKers stopped doing what they were doing, at least on the servers I played on.
# 5
11-26-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia211 View Post
I have come out publicly in ESD chat about one individual in particular that I have gotten stuck with 3 times and each time, he has several unhealed inuries, some critical, and all he does is just run around, aggroing Borg to attack us. Then, after he has gotten us killed a few times, he AFKs till we end up finishing the instance. He is just as much a troll as he is a leech. I have in fact reported him but of course I have no way to know if that had any effect. I guess if I end up with him again, I will know it didn't.
How do you know this isn't a 4-year old child being allowed to play for a while on his parent's or older siblings account?

How do you know this isn't a person with a mental or physical handicap, unable to grasp or perform all the tasks of the game?

Should they be disallowed access to the game because they can't perform as well as you and me?
Empire Veteran
# 6
11-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealfluffy View Post
How do you know this isn't a 4-year old child being allowed to play for a while on his parent's or older siblings account?

How do you know this isn't a person with a mental or physical handicap, unable to grasp or perform all the tasks of the game?

Should they be disallowed access to the game because they can't perform as well as you and me?
If a person can enter password, launch the game, navigate the menu, filter the queue for stfs, wait till the game starts, clicks need without any problems then the person is good enough to understand what is going on.
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Republic Veteran
# 7
11-26-2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealfluffy View Post

to do the exact same thing 3 straight times takes at least some thinking. you come in, run around and aggro stuff to kill us, then AFK at the same time during each run. Plus there is also some thinking involved in opening the que and choosing the same instance 3 times. I am pretty sure this person knows what they are doing. This isn't someone who is just running into walls and petting their tribble while we battle it out. This is someone who knows to run into a room, fire their weapon, then run back toward and past us while he is pursued. No, I did not give all this detail in my original post. I didn't think I would be on here splitting hairs with anyone.

To answer some other posts, as I said before, i doubt the kick button would be abused much. There will be a time or two, but for the most part I am sure most of us will use it correctly. In the big, giant MMO I used to play, it was left to a majority vote. At least 3 people had to approve the vote for it to pass. In the time that I played with the kick feature in place, not once did I ever see it misused.

Last edited by olivia211; 11-26-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-26-2012, 04:53 PM
I don't think that Cryptic has much interest in policing this, or resolving any griefing complaints.
( although I wish they would )
The most obvious solution for players is to avoid the queues, and team only with friends and Fleet.
Building stronger and larger Fleets would be in Cryptics self-interest, the social aspects of a good Fleet could keep players in the game longer. ( and potentially spending more RL $$ )
Fixing a system that could end up even more broken, with new bugs, and works counter to that idea, wouldn't be a priority. ( imo )
This concern has been expressed in more than a few threads over the months, and I don't believe I have seen any Cryptic response anywhere.
Career Officer
# 9
11-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Quote:
We used to have a major problem with this in a competing MMO. Then they eventually added the Kick feature which allowed group members to vote out a member that was not doing their job. I hope Cryptic will soon implement the same measure.
The problem with a KICK feature is that they are abused. I cant recall how many times i was in a group in "WoW", and because someone did not like what someone said or did, threatened to leave the group if the person was not kicked. The person threatening to leave was usually the tank or healer so people did not want to wait to find a replacement, which we all know could take quite some time.

Now i get the mechanics here are so that one particular player doesn't have that significant group role, but the ability to abuse the system still exists.

Best course currently is just to report them as a STF afkr and hopefully Cryptic will actually do something, like ban them from STF's for 30 days ar something.
Career Officer
# 10
11-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Quote:
To answer your question, yes.
Yes, you'll send me 10 million EC? Because I am running low.

Was there another question? ;-)