Career Officer
# 1 Borg Cutting Beam
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
It's obviously a type of beam weapon (in the TNG episode "Q-Who" Data referred to it as a type of laser) but in this game the beam deals kinetic energy. Now does your projectile skills increase its effectiveness or does energy skills? Are there any tac consoles that will also enhance its damage? The tool-tip isn't very descriptive on it.
Captain
# 2
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
maybe particle generator could increase it, but thats just a guess. Probably have to wait a little longer to get info on that.
Go pro or go home
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
11-29-2012, 09:07 PM
I wasn't able to see anything but Weapon power setting and the Rule 62 buffing the beam, but I have not tested the Sci skill tree.
Empire Veteran
# 4
11-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Well if rule 62 module enhances it (+11% mine and torp dmg) then presumably Variable Geometry Detonators and/or Warhead Yield Chamber will do it too?
Dislike the forum theme? Try THIS. Dislike the STO home page? Try THIS.
Devs, need Fleet Orion Marauder and Dacoit please! :-)

Using - Sheshar, Voth Fighter Favs - Corsair, Bulwark, Mogh, Nicor, Mat'Ha
Some others - Qib, Orion Marauder, Guramba, JHEC, JAS, Bastion The rest - HERE
Career Officer
# 5
11-30-2012, 01:07 AM
I just got my cutting beam. It will be the topic of my next story.

The weapon is a bit odd. It has a really severe firing throttle - it takes a few more seconds to fire than most weapons. It doesn't look like the cutting beam from Deja Q, rather it looks like a generic red Gateway beam. Actually, I didn't realize those beams were supposed to be cutting beams until now.

I was a bit disappointed by the animation; I was hoping to go, *fwizzzzzz* "MUWAHHAHAHA".

It does hit very hard though. If shields are down the thing will cut an opponent to shreds in short order. It's fun and elegant to get a shield down, get a cutting beam lock, then start turning to face the next target while the previous target is being cut apart.

...you know what we need? A Plasmatic Pulsar Device weapon.
Captain
# 6
11-30-2012, 01:19 AM
I dislike that the cutting beam is 1 per ship, and says this absolutely NOWHERE.

I mean, only after you queue the project for a second or third one and try and stick them on your ship do you find this out, right?

and then you've got a bunch of wasted resources for zilch.

And I was so looking forward to a polarized tetryon+cutting beam build too. Alas.
Career Officer
# 7
11-30-2012, 01:20 AM
to answer the OP's questions, no nothing effects it other than weapon power and energy weapon skills.

honestly, it makes for a great torpedo boat weapon. I've been running 2x mk xii borg photons forward and this thing aft, been absolutely ripping things apart.

Last edited by darimund; 11-30-2012 at 01:22 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
12-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eradicator84 View Post
Well if rule 62 module enhances it (+11% mine and torp dmg) then presumably Variable Geometry Detonators and/or Warhead Yield Chamber will do it too?
I tried both and all the other basic consoles to no effect. Think Rule 62 is just a bug to be honest.