Commander
I've read Dan's veiled accusation, that the new changes have come in because only a small amount of people tested season 7 on Tribble and they had to wait to get better metrics.

I think most people don't believe that anyway and it was an extremely poor excuse of getting caught and having to backtrack, however I digress.

So, why don't all you people who purport to love this game, not test it? Do you think you should be paid?

For me, I think you should be paid (yes paid) in Zen or Dil, by the hour to test their stuff. I don't believe it's the players job to do it, however if it's needed (which it looks like it is), then shouldn't you be paid (and I don't mean a meaningless pet).

What about a free ship?
From the man himself - "And as far as Season 7 being "grindy" - welcome to the MMORPG genre"

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under..."Grind is good".
Captain
# 2
11-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I would go on tribble and test IF I could avoid having to endure another COMPLETE download of the entire game.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf
Commander
# 3
11-27-2012, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I would go on tribble and test IF I could avoid having to endure another COMPLETE download of the entire game.
Yup, that's my problem, too. Test servers are too inconvenient.
Career Officer
# 4
11-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Seriously.
Um , what ?
I never had to "RE"download anything except for the new patches as they are released.
And one decent sized , patch when first running tribble.
But I didn't have to download the whole game.
Far from it.
You are spreading untruths.
Check your facts.

To the OP's question.
Nah.
I don't need to get paid to test on Tribble.
I'm a crappy tester, as I am sure MOST of the people who go on tribble are.
They go just long enough to get their free OH MAH GERD ITS A NEW TRIBBLE ! Test reward and that's it.

What they need to do, is pick a dedicated group of people who have shown that they understand the game, and are willing to test systems and specifics for them on Tribble. (PvPers, STFers, Fleet Actioneers, and others) Those people , who are actually ya know , TESTING for them , pay them with Zen or a cool gimme beyond the HEY HERE'S A NEW TRIBBLE !
Captain
# 5
11-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiejon View Post
Seriously.
Um , what ?
I never had to "RE"download anything except for the new patches as they are released.
And one decent sized , patch when first running tribble.
But I didn't have to download the whole game.
Far from it.
You are spreading untruths.
Check your facts.
From the (STO) Test Server FAQ:
Quote:
The first time I patch Tribble/Redshirt, the launcher tells me I have to download another 10 gigabytes of data! Can't I just copy over my LIVE directory to the Tribble/Redshirt directory?

It's true that you will be adding 10 GBs to your hard-drive to test on the Test Servers. When you patch to Tribble/Redshirt, let the launcher do its thing, it's the fastest and least problematic approach.
You saying Cryptic is lying to me ? That's 52 hours to download @ my DSL speed.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Last edited by lordmalak1; 11-27-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Career Officer
# 6
11-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:

Sorry that 10 Gigs takes you 52 hours.
That flat out sucks, for you.

As I said, when I first installed tribble, yeah, there was decent download, but it didn't take 52 hours. It was the kind of set it running, go make dinner, hang with the household all night, and when I checked back, it was done.

And, NO, I am not saying Cryptic is lying to you. Having never experienced anything remotely annoying while getting tribble installed, I was unaware of the trials and tribble-ations of those with (I have no idea how) a worse system than I run.
Career Officer
# 7
11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Actually, the patcher is pretty smart about downloading just what you need - initially it'll copy all the Holodeck stuff to a Test Server folder and then will only download the changes - prior to Season 7 that was a big download (2.2 gigs I think?) due to all the new art assets for New Romulus - since you've got all that now, the actual download should be considerably smaller.

And regarding the OP's question - I don't need to be paid to spend time on Tribble but I'm not going to waste my time on there if the community's feedback is ignored - which is exactly what happened with Season 7 - the reputation system, Dilithium and the changes to Doffing were all flagged as big issues with the testers but Cryptic completely ignored the feedback and pushed it live anyway.

So really, what was the point?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Rihannsu
# 8
11-28-2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:

No they are not lying. The word is 'adding' not 'downloading'.

when you patch tribble it copies over holodeck, then applies any new patches.

right now tribble is 99.9% the same as holodeck. if you open tribble, it will copy over the folder and then apply the latest patch (which you are going to have to download in a couple of days).

the only problem is is you dont have the space for another 10gigs. the copy process should take 10-20 minutes, perhaps longer depending on how fast your computers can copy files over.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 9
11-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
No they are not lying. The word is 'adding' not 'downloading'.

when you patch tribble it copies over holodeck, then applies any new patches.

right now tribble is 99.9% the same as holodeck. if you open tribble, it will copy over the folder and then apply the latest patch (which you are going to have to download in a couple of days).

the only problem is is you dont have the space for another 10gigs. the copy process should take 10-20 minutes, perhaps longer depending on how fast your computers can copy files over.
I had hoped that was the case, but after reading the FAQ's and it said another 10 gig download I decided it wasn't worth my time or effort to setup to be one of cryptics bugged content guinea pigs.

You promise it won't hose my holodeck install ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Career Officer
# 10
11-27-2012, 08:10 AM
all they need is a proper tribble test weekend, and announce the test rewards ahead of time

not like it is now, "oh there will be a reward, but we are not tellin what it is or when you will get it."

also they need more requirements than just "spend one hour"...

for F2P testing they wanted us to level up a character to lvl50 to test stuff, they had some nice rewards and people came out and played.

this time, it was all just too rushed, not enough incentive and by now everybody knows that Cryptic wont fix anything or delay the Holodeck build until it is working as intended anyway, so why should i go and test for them if they only start to listen when the crowd starts raging over the broken Holodeck stuff anyway?

you know it goes both ways, if people report the problems, stuff goes live anyway and only after the masses complain it gets fixed... then soon nobody will care to beta test stuff for you.

if all you want is data mining and metrics, then use the stuff you have already from the last 3 years of Holodeck!
if that is not enough to build something from scratch that fits the rest of the game...

*shrug* not my problem.