Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
Kudos to Cryptic for making this available for free to everyone participating in the Winter Event - it looks like a great ship and I'm looking forward to acquiring at least two of them for my KDF characters so bravo!

However, this begs the question:

When the Jem'hadar ship was introduced via lockboxes instead of the C-Store it was justified by Cryptic telling us that CBS mandated that the only way exotic non-faction ships would be allowed in the game is in small numbers.

Obviously this policy has changed since everyone currently playing this game can get the Breen ship if they run the race for 25 days - and make no mistake, there are going to be a lot of these ships sitting outside ESD and Qo'noS.

So really, it's time the Jemmie, the Galor and all those other lockbox ships were put in the C-Store since there's no longer any credible excuse not to.

Make brand new ships and put them in lockboxes instead.
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 139
# 2
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Might be less than you think. I will have to fly this to see if it outdoes my fleet defiant. I honestly dont think it will in raw numbers. A few other factors but if i'm flyin that thing i'm looking to blow something up. However This breen ship has potential i'll say that. I think a lot are going ot get it but may not become permanently flying it.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,020
# 3
12-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw51825 View Post
Might be less than you think. I will have to fly this to see if it outdoes my fleet defiant. I honestly dont think it will in raw numbers. A few other factors but if i'm flyin that thing i'm looking to blow something up. However This breen ship has potential i'll say that. I think a lot are going ot get it but may not become permanently flying it.
Oh, I agree - ultimately it's down to personal taste and nothing's going to get my Feddie out of his Fleet Excelsior but again, the modus of distribution for ships like the Jem'hadar and the Galor has always been justified by CBS only wanting limited numbers of them in game - since everyone can have a Breen ship, presumably it's now OK for everyone to have a Galor or a Jem'hadar no?
Please join our peaceful protest to help make STO a better game
Proudly not contributing to PWE's bottom-line since October 2012
Ensign
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
# 4
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
seems logical to me...
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,037
# 5
12-05-2012, 06:14 PM
Or maybe they just want to make plenty of money selling "rare" ship with lockbox. Maybe that's true, and they turn that into a gamble for mass profit, or it's a lie, and they just saw an opportunity for mass profit. In both case, they won.
BTW, don't expect to see them comes free or for a said amount of cash, even if CBS allow them to do so, since they makes a lot more money from gamble and lockbox.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 941
# 6
12-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw51825 View Post
Might be less than you think. I will have to fly this to see if it outdoes my fleet defiant. I honestly dont think it will in raw numbers. A few other factors but if i'm flyin that thing i'm looking to blow something up. However This breen ship has potential i'll say that. I think a lot are going ot get it but may not become permanently flying it.
Plus, a lot of people have made a huge hooplah over flying the ships they like -- it's why we constantly get threads asking for Fleet versions of the Exeter and Excalibur, after all. Even if the Breen ship ends up outperforming current ships (which I kind of doubt, with its Escort layout but middling turn-rate, and only 4 Tactical consoles instead of 5), people will still fly whatever ships they like the best.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 891
# 7
12-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
When the Jem'hadar ship was introduced via lockboxes instead of the C-Store it was justified by Cryptic telling us that CBS mandated that the only way exotic non-faction ships would be allowed in the game is in small numbers.
I'm pretty sure we all know by now that this was just marketing spin to justify lockboxes. It's not going to change now that the community is more at ease with them, it's too big of a money generator for them.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,010
# 8
12-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weylandjuarez View Post
Kudos to Cryptic for making this available for free to everyone participating in the Winter Event - it looks like a great ship and I'm looking forward to acquiring at least two of them for my KDF characters so bravo!

However, this begs the question:

When the Jem'hadar ship was introduced via lockboxes instead of the C-Store it was justified by Cryptic telling us that CBS mandated that the only way exotic non-faction ships would be allowed in the game is in small numbers.

Obviously this policy has changed since everyone currently playing this game can get the Breen ship if they run the race for 25 days - and make no mistake, there are going to be a lot of these ships sitting outside ESD and Qo'noS.

So really, it's time the Jemmie, the Galor and all those other lockbox ships were put in the C-Store since there's no longer any credible excuse not to.

Make brand new ships and put them in lockboxes instead.
You aren't the only one that sees a major incongruence between STO devs claiming cbs wanted to limit numbers of bug ships and galors and then seeing a rare breen ship which will be handed out to players in a way that will get it into a lot of players hands. IMO, a breen ship is just as a rare as a galor, if not rarer. Even the discussion of which one is rarer is silly as both the galor class cruisers and breen cruisers were a common site during the domion wars.

Even so, I am grateful that I will be getting this ship for free.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 12-05-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,770
# 9
12-05-2012, 07:56 PM
If this was a different ship, namely Starfleet/KDF only ships, the problem wouldn't be here at all.

And in a way, it could still be rare.

1. A lot of people left when season 7 hit, not to mention there are a lot of people who are already gone from the past anyways.

2. Not everyone is going to be flying it forever. Same goes for every new ship, a huge influx of them, then they filter out.

3. Even for everyone playing, not all people on will get the ship over the next month.

4. Don't think this is the only Breen ship, we could possibly see another one...one that would cost. (or other potential Breen items)

Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,010
# 10
12-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimey2 View Post
If this was a different ship, namely Starfleet/KDF only ships, the problem wouldn't be here at all.

And in a way, it could still be rare.

1. A lot of people left when season 7 hit, not to mention there are a lot of people who are already gone from the past anyways.

2. Not everyone is going to be flying it forever. Same goes for every new ship, a huge influx of them, then they filter out.

3. Even for everyone playing, not all people on will get the ship over the next month.

4. Don't think this is the only Breen ship, we could possibly see another one...one that would cost. (or other potential Breen items)
To adress point 1: Not a valid argument since Cryptic claims the number of active players has gone up since season 7 hit

Point 2: You could have used this same argument for the bug and galor.

Point 3: You could use a similar argument for the bug and galor. Had they been offered for free for a limited time, it would be no different.

Point 4: Same could be said of the galor. We could eventually see a cardassian mini-faction with free galors. If that happens, again your point would be invalidated b/c the cbs goal of ensuring it is owned by low numbers of players is completely undermined by offering that supposedly "rare" ship for free at some point.
=^= Starfleet Code Red Message =^= Starfleet intelligence's central network was compromised by an insidious ARC virus. All captains are to avoid contact with the ARC until we can ascertain how dangerous it is. All ships remain on high alert!

Last edited by knuhteb5; 12-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:31 AM.