Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
I think that we can all agree that exploration is one of the weakest areas of the game, when it could be one of the strongest. I'm not sure how to redo the Genesis Engine, as I'm not entirely sure how it works, and what sort of effort it would take to "Bring it up to snuff". As such, all of the following suggestions do not require the Genesis Engine.

1. Hide Episodes in them.

When you pull up to a "Explore Uncharted World" interact button inside a star cluster, you should have a small chance of getting a Featured Episode quality mission. You could have 20 of these things scattered all throughout the galaxy, and players would have to track them down in order to play them. You could have missions tied to a specific star cluster (Every cluster should at least have one. So there's a reason to visit all of them) while others could happen anywhere.

2. Hide the Foundry Spotlight missions in them.

Like the above, there could even be a small chance where you would be given one of the Foundry Spotlight missions to play. This would have the dual bonus of expanding content, and give players a reason to use the Foundry, when they would otherwise avoid it.

3. Include the Doff System.

Much like how using the Doff missions allows you to unlock other Doff missions, and how playing Episodes unlocks Doff missions, Doff missions should unlock Episodes. There should at least be a handful of episodes (Maybe 2 or 3?) that are rewards for tinkering with the Doff System.

4. Give them all Dilithium.

Why was the B'Tran cluster rewards taken away? That was a good idea! That was literally the only reason to do Exploration missions other than kicks and giggles. All the Cluster missions should have rewards like Season 6 B'Tran.

5. Give huge rewards for team play.

Not everyone want's to play in teams, but after all, this is an MMO. You should reward them for doing so. Cluster missions should extra EC's/Dilithium for every team member, give 30 Fleet Marks for every Fleet Mate you are teamed with (giving you a maximum of 120 Fleet Marks), the B'Tran cluster should give small amounts of OMEGA Marks, all the clusters in Romulan space should give Romulan Marks, and all the other clusters should be kept open for future Mark types.


Now this is a little bit different request, but I want alien worlds that feel ALIEN. I realize that the show had a limited budget, and therefore most planets in the Star Trek Verse ended up looking like southern California, but this is a Video Game. We don't have that limitation. Give us water planets, planets full of deadly gas, molten hot planets, planets where the sun is so hot it vaporizes you if you leave the shade, Gas Giants, Alien Starbases, Alien cities, Planets where the gravity is low, Planets where the gravity is high, throw curveballs at us. Make us use those fancy shmancy EVA suits you guys made.

This is Science Fiction! Let us go weird and wonderful places! And when we get there, let us meet weird and wonderful things!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 894
# 2
12-10-2012, 07:05 PM
I particularly dig the idea of hiding Foundry missions within exploration clusters - in fact, sometimes I wonder if they should have been done so in the first place.

For obvious reasons I also support more dilithium sources

Game features I'd like to see improved / expanded: Better Ship Interiors // BOff Costume Slots
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,416
# 3
12-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I don't like the idea of "hiding" missions, rather I feel they should be unlocked after you take certain actions. Like with new civilizations, before you can take missions in their space, you got to actually have a First Contact and become friends. Then learning more about their history and culture before you stumble upon the mysteries that they offer.


With the Foundry, I don't like the idea of randomly tossing UGC missions as content. As I said in other similar threads, the best idea for the Foundry is that an area of space is claimed by an Author or a group of authors and they work together to bring to life a civilization (and perhaps hostile or rival civilizations). And that could keep players interested in an area for a while. Later, if Cryptic likes that civilization, they too could add their and making it more official, maybe even with CBS's blessing, making it canonical.


The DOFF system, gotta be with pure exploration itself. Like helping you find resources that you need to contruct repair items far away from home. Or discovering hints to a new location to visit.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,627
# 4
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
Most Foundry missions are crap, even the "Featured" are not exactly up to snuff to the standard Cryptic mission, regardless of what some authors like to claim about their quality.

So no, Exploration needs some work but that just means they are exploration and not MISSIONS, that means a lot of the boring stuff since that IS exploration (not running into a Klingon Battlegroup that attacks in waves of 3 ships at the time) and even more missions on the light of first contact that are just "hello!" and thats it.

Also we certainly DONT need a reputation system if anyone wants to pitch a "hey, you know this game needs? MOAR GRIND!" idea about Exploration since it seems the only people that manage to be worst that Cryptic with system is players that want to shove the system even further in.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
# 5
12-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Most Foundry missions are crap, even the "Featured" are not exactly up to snuff to the standard Cryptic mission, regardless of what some authors like to claim about their quality.
But even the worst foundry mission is better than the best Exploration mission.

I'm not saying that the exploration missions should use Foundry Missions, I'm saying they should use the Foundry Spotlight missions. To become one of those, it needs to be played, and approved, by Devs. As such, quite a few of them are better than the actual Dev made missions.

If you're really that bent up about UGC being used in place of really S***ty content, then okay, if you could turn it on and off, say by the "Review Content" button, then would you be okay with it?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,032
# 6
12-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Exploration Reputation w/ marks of- i mean, Exploration marks.
Handle: @kirian_darkstar
Registered: Oct/2009 , LTS : Feb/2011
Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries
Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
# 7
12-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstarkirian View Post
Exploration Reputation w/ marks of- i mean, Exploration marks.
What do you mean by that?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Rihannsu
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 811
# 8
12-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
4. Give them all Dilithium.

Why was the B'Tran cluster rewards taken away? That was a good idea! That was literally the only reason to do Exploration missions other than kicks and giggles. All the Cluster missions should have rewards like Season 6 B'Tran.
I'm pretty sure they already do, if you take the "explore 3 systems in X cluster" wrapper, all of the clusters give Dilithium. The VA B'Tran mission was removed because it was made redundant after the conversion to Dilithium. (Explore B'Tran gave Exploration marks while Chart B'Tran gave VA marks, both of which were replaced by Dil, thus they both gave the same reward.)

Last edited by f9thaceshigh; 12-25-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 972
# 9
12-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
5. Give huge rewards for team play.

Not everyone want's to play in teams, but after all, this is an MMO. You should reward them for doing so. Cluster missions should extra EC's/Dilithium for every team member, give 30 Fleet Marks for every Fleet Mate you are teamed with (giving you a maximum of 120 Fleet Marks), the B'Tran cluster should give small amounts of OMEGA Marks, all the clusters in Romulan space should give Romulan Marks, and all the other clusters should be kept open for future Mark types.
I think the numbers you propose are too high. more like 5-10 per team member, with an extra 10-20 each for completing optional side missions related to profession (so you're encouraged not to have 5 tac officers since that's only 1 side mission).

I also think that the technology from "The 2800" where three duty officer missions were required to complete part of a mission chain would be fan-freaking-tastic in an explore scenario.

Imagine, you lead the away team, find some cool device, fight to get it from hostile critters, realize that now you've got some negative side effect of the environment/artifact/hostilecritters to deal with and your doffs do some background work to give you something you need while you're investigating further on the ground.

I would love this. Plus, doff missions give some decent rewards (average 5 dil and 400 EC plus 200 exp) so added to the fleet marks, over time and across a player team this would add up fast. Doubly so if these were all 5-15 minute missions like the ones in "The 2800" and the 125 dil on a crit really adds upfast.

I assume they could make a pool of a few optional side objectives and doff missions to randomly select between, just like some of the "scan 5 glowies" on the ground missions include enemies to fight and others include one last item to interact with after the 5th glowie. Small variations but fit to a template so they can make the workload realistic.


Quote:
Now this is a little bit different request, but I want alien worlds that feel ALIEN. I realize that the show had a limited budget, and therefore most planets in the Star Trek Verse ended up looking like southern California, but this is a Video Game. We don't have that limitation. Give us water planets, planets full of deadly gas, molten hot planets, planets where the sun is so hot it vaporizes you if you leave the shade, Gas Giants, Alien Starbases, Alien cities, Planets where the gravity is low, Planets where the gravity is high, throw curveballs at us. Make us use those fancy shmancy EVA suits you guys made.

This is Science Fiction! Let us go weird and wonderful places! And when we get there, let us meet weird and wonderful things!
I totally agree, while exploring we should bump into worlds that require our eva suits. This just makes sense to me.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.