Lieutenant
# 1 Questions from a Noob
12-17-2012, 10:33 AM
Hello, just started STO about two weeks ago (CoH refugee). I am starting to pick up a few things and others I am confused about. Here are a few questions:

1) You do stuff you earn skill points and expertise. Skill points for you skill and expertise for your Boff? At level 50 I guessing you no longer acquire skill points? When you hit lvl 50 do you continue to gain expertise? Mostly wanted to have decent Boffs and hate to invest heavily in one to have points lost without way to earn more.

2) Selling stuff in exchange .. I have been posting a few things for about 50% value. Is there a guide to help someone understand the market? I played with whetworths in CoH and could rely on that for influence but with this system it seems harder to find a niche.

3) Last night made lvl 30 and talked to Quinn at ESD. I went quickly through the promotion stuff/dialogue. I did see Lt. Laura's name appear for a moment. I went to Space dock to get free ship at level 30 and it appears I do not have a free ship token. Is there a way to check if I have one? So did I miss something Quinn wanted me to do?

Thanks
Celtic Fist
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
12-17-2012, 10:38 AM
1 yes

2 theres a guide here on the forum yes

3 go back and make sure you finished the conversation with Quinn
Captain
# 3
12-17-2012, 10:51 AM
make sure when you search something on the exchange, you search inside the right category...other wise you get wrong search results, meaning you do find items of the same name etc, but they are not actually the cheapest from the list.

for example: fleet ship modules, if you do not search within datasamples you'll find them for 9-20 millions, yet they actually are worth between 4-5 million EC.
this effects every other item present on the exchange so far.

possibly you overlooked something when talking to quinn...check your missions under "in progress" you might have a follow up mission still to do.

another tip: do the feature series now! they reward special items, which aren't available again for a long time. dividian cane, or the shard of possibilities...very usefull items, yet only available until january.
Go pro or go home
Captain
# 4
12-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I strongly recommend you read the script slowly. It's worth reading and provides clues to what needs to be done. This applies to everything in STO.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Lieutenant
# 5
12-17-2012, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the prompt reponses. Just made a killer for a beginner on some beads. Someone must have wanted them quickly.

Previously, I did chat with Quinn and closed out the promotion storyline. Its still buggy when I talk to the contact at space doc and do a sort for cruisers at captain level I get the two ships (one which costs zen and the "free one"). I try to acquire the free one and its just not happening. I have enough delithium (25k) to purchase but even the "buy ship" tab is not lite up. Is there a limit to the number of ships one can I have? I thought that you can get one at each rank up basically and then purchase other ones with ZEN.

again thanks for all the prompt responses. Just have to figure out the ship thing.

Celtic Fist
Captain
# 6
12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Celtic, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO" There's a bunch of us playing STO and it's a very helpful place to talk.

Also you're welcome to join the Paragon Expeditionary Fleet, which is a fleet entirely composed of ex-CoH players.

The invitation link is here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=373611

But you can find us in game pretty easy, there's quite a lot of us =)
Commander
# 7
12-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinruneblade View Post
Celtic, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO" There's a bunch of us playing STO and it's a very helpful place to talk.

Also you're welcome to join the Paragon Expeditionary Fleet, which is a fleet entirely composed of ex-CoH players.

The invitation link is here:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=373611

But you can find us in game pretty easy, there's quite a lot of us =)
Add CoX as well although that started over in CO a number of us play STO as well.
Captain
# 8
12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfistcoh View Post
1) You do stuff you earn skill points and expertise. Skill points for you skill and expertise for your Boff? At level 50 I guessing you no longer acquire skill points? When you hit lvl 50 do you continue to gain expertise? Mostly wanted to have decent Boffs and hate to invest heavily in one to have points lost without way to earn more.
Specifically, when you hit level 50, any more skill points you get are converted to Expertise as well. You won't have any shortage of Expertise as a Vice Admiral, believe me.
Career Officer
# 9
12-17-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfistcoh View Post
2) Selling stuff in exchange .. I have been posting a few things for about 50% value. Is there a guide to help someone understand the market? I played with whetworths in CoH and could rely on that for influence but with this system it seems harder to find a niche.
Vendor price is 50% of listed value (40% in Recycling, Ferengi, and I think Sector Space traders), so that's the price floor for items on the Exchange. Lower than that and things will sell due to other players buying them to vendor.

Generally, you use the Buy window and search for what you're selling - make sure to filter by item type and rarity, otherwise you won't see the lowest price available. If everything else of your rarity and mark is already at around 50%, there isn't much demand for those. Just vendor them. The one exception is with weapons, since certain modifiers are worth more than others. So a [Acc]x3 weapon would be worth more than a [Dam]x3 weapon.

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference." - James T. Kirk