Starfleet Veteran
# 1 animation questions
12-23-2012, 03:03 PM
I am trying to get a couple sitting animations and a couple talking animations to work. I have one NPC using the sitting animation on a chair, but he is hovering about a foot above the chair and I don't know how to fix that - there isn't any height setting for him that I can see.

Another NPC is set to use talking - gesture, but he doesn't gesture at all, in fact I don't see any difference from his default stance that I set for him in character creation. I have tried setting him to be both a "Contact" and a "Legacy Contact" and under legacy contact I set talking - gesture for both a chatting animation and an idle animation, but he still isn't gesturing. Am I missing a setting or something?

I watched a few videos on Youtube, particularly "Animations with Helna" and "Sitting with Helna" and I can see the gesture animation working just fine for that guy. If someone could point me to a tutorial on how to correctly set the animations in the first place, I would appreciate it!
Captain
# 2
12-23-2012, 03:18 PM
The chair thing requires finesse. It took me about ten adjustments to get a guy sitting properly in a chair.

The other animation not appearing... no idea. I've run into a lot of animations that don't seem to do anything. I don't know if they are bugged, if it's something off about preview, or what.
Career Officer
# 3
12-23-2012, 04:33 PM
The animations have been changed since they were put in the Foundry, which is annoying. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional.

Talk - Gesture now doesn't gesture, it just has their mouth move. Talk - Neutral has more gesturing now.

With the sitting you just have to play with moving the NPC around. If it's, for example, on a bridge then you have to adjust them to get them just right. They will never be perfect, unfortunately.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Captain
# 4
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
Getting the npc to sit in a chair can sometimes be a nightmare. It's also really irritating when you realize that many of the sit animations don't work with the specific chair.

I have the easiest time with the desk chair. Getting an npc to sit at a console... I don't even try anymore, lol.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
12-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Alright it helped when I turned off snap to grid and zoomed way in. I moved the NPC just a hair forward and they are sitting on the edge of the chair now.

I will take a look at talk - neutral. Thanks for the help!