Lt. Commander
# 1 -th consoles broken?
12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
So I got a shiny new threat decreasing console from my embassy hoping it would give my BoP a free ticket to do what it wants and jumped into Cure to try it out.

Everything wanted me dead.

While I used to be able to fly around under a cube for a while without provoking it, they now attack me as soon as I fly in range. Even when they were already targeting someone else, they switch to me without me firing a shot at them.

Negh'vars and raptors gun for me as soon as they see me.

Even during firefights where everyone is attacking the same thing they happily try to murder me and only me.

It's far worse than it was before I got the "threat reducing" console. Did you just copy and paste the stats for the threat increasing console? Is anyone else having this problem?
Captain
# 2
12-26-2012, 01:11 PM
Does the item's description say "decrease threat" or "threat control"?

These are two very different things.
Career Officer
# 3
12-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Are you sure you got a threat reducing console instead of the threat augmenting one?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Career Officer
# 5
12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
initial agro is kinda weird in stfs. theres been times where in CSE the tac cube gets face pulled and some how I have agro on it when ive been 15k+ away from it the entire time. However, ive got 2 of the -th consoles on one toon and 3 on another and I could immediately tell a huge difference when those were equipped. I'm pulling a whole lot less threat from dps. They really do help... course if everyone in your group has them, well =p
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, I've done some more testing in Infected and these things work very strangely. They most certainly need to be worked on.

The moment I came into range of the initial cube it went for me, before I provoked it, but as soon as the others joined in I wasn't able to keep aggro. From there I wasn't really able to see it doing anything.

For a while it seemed as though it was lowering my threat generation but simultaneously making me far more noticeable. I couldn't steal aggro from others in the sphere phase, but anything that wasn't specifically being shot by someone else went straight for me, and everything new that warped in was on me first and chased me down until someone else got around to shooting it.

That theory went out the window when the gate and tac cube at the end both went after me despite the whole team focus firing, with only one other person on the team able to occasionally draw the aggro. Perhaps I managed to get into games where everyone else (including engineers in cruisers and carriers) were running even MORE -th consoles than me, or were using mk I weapons or something, but I got this console so I could slip by unnoticed and from what I can see it does not work AT ALL.
Captain
# 7
12-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscowboy View Post
Threat generation: That means not your initial threat is lowered, but the one you generate by firing upon a target is reduced. Meaning its easier for other players to steal your enemys attention, because they generate more threat than you, even if you have a higher dps output.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Even so, my initial threat seems to be much higher. I used to be able to coast by cubes without provoking them, and I certainly wasn't the only target for every new ship warping in. I'm very noticeably being singled out by everything whose aggro isn't being specifically stolen by others, and it was never like that without the console.

Edit: Just played khit and had to laugh. I was right, someone on left summoned a cube but left it alone. It took me as its target from across the map and flew all the way across just to get to me.

Last edited by mscowboy; 12-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Rihannsu
# 9
12-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Was this in a pug? You are sure the other players weren't running [-Th] too? Those embassy consoles are currently pretty much the best thing to put into a sci slot, I have 3 myself.