Former PWE Community Team Lead
Quote:
Literary Challenge #35 : New Year's Resolutions
This is the comments thread for Literary Challenge #35 : New Year's Resolutions.
We also have an Index of previous challenges HERE.

Feel free to link directly to the entry you are commenting on. And please remember: we're not here to tear each other up. Do not troll your fellow Captains, give feedback! Let the others know what you liked and disliked. Maybe they can even go back then and tweak their entries!

Let's get those creative juices flowing!
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Captain
# 2
12-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Done. For ease of reference/visualization, here're the actors I would cast if I was filming this tomorrow...

Meliden Bowen - Eve Myles
S'rR's Kane - Amy Smart
Caral Bowen - Alison Steadman
Captain
# 3
12-28-2012, 02:03 PM
@ ironphoenix113: Short and sweet, a really nice entry
Commander
# 4
12-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Made my very first entry.

Some background: It's the Terran Empire, in a MU. A different one than depicted in Enterprise or DS9, as the Terrans weren't Evil Stupid, and so Spock's reforms - the main one being the ending of promotion-by-backstabbery - didn't cause the Emprie's complete decline and enslavement. There's more to it, but that will be enough to understand this story.
Captain
# 5
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfamily View Post
Made my very first entry.

Some background: It's the Terran Empire, in a MU. A different one than depicted in Enterprise or DS9, as the Terrans weren't Evil Stupid, and so Spock's reforms - the main one being the ending of promotion-by-backstabbery - didn't cause the Emprie's complete decline and enslavement. There's more to it, but that will be enough to understand this story.
I got MU from the use of Terra, but it wasn't overdone at all, nice and subtle And I could definitely picture the scene and the Ferengi trying to keep things under control, an awesome entry
Rihannsu
# 6
12-28-2012, 07:46 PM
@marcus

Thanks for the compliment! I read yours too, and I've got to say, you've got a real talent yourself.

@theroyalfamily

Really clever! I was rather confused by your story until I read your explanation. I can't wait to read more!

A couple things I feel I should explain about mine:
First, yes Bryan is actually the XO (well, one of two XOs actually) in the fleet that I'm in.
Second, the AI (Athena, which shares the name of the ship) is actually a full AI, completely self-aware and capable of independent thought and emotion. She controls the ships point defense turrets, makes adjustments to the ship's power systems as needed among other things that no crewman could handle quickly enough.
Th rest of the story should be fairly self-explanatory (especially the part at the end with the ring )
Vice Admiral Bryan Mitchel Valot
Commanding officer: Odyssey class U.S.S. Athena
Admiral of the 1st Assault Fleet