Captain
# 1 Operation Foundry Forward
01-03-2013, 12:29 AM
Dear Foundry Authors,

I would like to invite you to a discussion about finding a way to actually get some things done with regards to the Foundry as opposed to simply being unhappy about them or tossing ideas out into the dark and unreceptive void like so much spit in the wind; accomplishing nothing by doing so.

I have decided to keep this off the STO forums for the time being for a number of reasons, like trolls, derailing, and others which will be apparent when you have read the article. It is quite short.

There are a great many problems with the Foundry and we need to be organized and proactive to actually achieve anything. I believe this, or something like it, is exactly what we need to get what we want out of this fabulous, if incomplete tool.

Many thanks,

AJS
Lieutenant
# 2
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Since you posted here about it, I'm going to respond to it here. I agree, proactive is the way, but despite the fact that we are suppose to be customers, they would like to think that we're wrong and their right. It's not about what we want, it's about what they want. Convincing them that Foundry is probably one of the only reasons STO still thrives is going to be tough, but I think doable. Now, I'd like to say your method of approach to solving the issue, is probably the only thing we can do. But I think it is safe to say that a lot of people make it known what they need/want in their own words.

Now, one thing that I think you're missing is a website, for a potentially big project such as this. If you got the willing authors, then you already have a project to work on if you can get those authors to act more than just agree. Also, besides the 4 points you brought up on what should be there (and I'd say a number of serious Foundry authors would agree to that), is to get a survey together to see how many other authors would agree to those, and even the players themselves to see if they feel Foundry missions are lacking in something authors can't provide. That in its self would likely be another key to convincing Cryptic that Foundry should get better looked at.

Also, I do believe that people would indeed try something terrible that would make Cryptic look bad. I've seen players downrate simply because there was no nudity. Take someone like that and make him a Foundry author, and I'd bet he'd put something 'ugly' on a map. So, if Foundry was given less restrictions as it should it would likely indeed make it easier for 'ugly' things to appear. This is why I think Cryptic should restrict on who can author Foundry missions by giving them a few 'tests' by having them create a few missions to be tested by GM's just to see what kind of missions that player would build. If the player passes their test, they get to be an author, and their works published, but if not, they don't and their missions aren't published. That would seem reasonable to me.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
Reposted from Starbase UGC:

I?m fully on board.

As for the lists, a lot of that work is done, but scattered in request, complaint and bug report threads on the forum, we would need one one or more people to go through and collate it all into one document (with nice headers, table of contents, etc) print it up, get it bound and then deliver it to Cryptic. Hand-delivered would be ideal, but mail would do. I think a physical copy might have more impact than anything digital. Sign it with all our names (@handles or real names, for those willing to put that forward).

As for the mission series. It?s been talked about before but not done to my knowledge. I think it would be really cool though to essentially create a Foundry Season. 24 episodes, just like the shows used to do including one-offs and ?bottle shows? but some kind of overall plot thread, akin to a DS9 season. Break it down like a real season, plot it out ahead of time, have people sign up to ?direct? a certain episodes throughout. Then get all the episodes done and start releasing them one a week like a real TV show.

I?ve even got an idea for that overarching plot thread. I?ve been thinking about all the complaints that the Federation in STO isn?t the one we know and love. Wars on every front, ignoring the prime directive, etc etc. Maybe there?s a reason for that. Maybe there?s something rotten at the heart of the Federation government, harkening back to ?Conspiracy? from TNG, heck maybe its even those same aliens. IDK, but let?s take it on ourselves to explain over the course of a season why the Federation is what it is today and maybe give the player a chance to change it back. What do you think?
Join the Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable

Looking for a Foundry mission for your Romulan character? Look no further!
Lieutenant
# 4
01-03-2013, 10:46 AM
That idea actually sounds quite good drogyn maybe even the Federation President is involved. Yeah I quite like the sound of that plot.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34676144000&dateline=  1356220537
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
01-03-2013, 11:26 AM
While im willing to help... im against gene's vision of a peaceful future.... now.. if you want something based on genocide and destruction I can help out there.

As for a series, Im still working on Mirror Wars (Add the Tholians dammit, so I can finish it Cryptic!!!) .. once all the parts are out i'll go back and fourth spell checking it to make it "perfect"

that said, if theres anyone out there who hates building maps but loves writing, pm me and we'll try to get a co-op'd mission out

Last edited by thay8472; 01-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Captain
# 6
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
As far as the lists go, we've done these lists many times. I'll be happy to help with yet another one, but I'm not sure it will do much good, really, especially since just the list of bugs would be very long.

If someone at Cryptic was presented with a nicely printed and bound "Here is what is wrong with the Foundry in 114 pages," I doubt that it would get read or referenced.

It would just be overwhelming. But we can try anything at this point.

I do really like the idea of a season. I'd be happy to help with that. Maybe someone could create a shared author account, so 1 person could build sets, another could do etc.
Lieutenant
# 7
01-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
Reposted from Starbase UGC:

I?ve even got an idea for that overarching plot thread. I?ve been thinking about all the complaints that the Federation in STO isn?t the one we know and love. Wars on every front, ignoring the prime directive, etc etc. Maybe there?s a reason for that. Maybe there?s something rotten at the heart of the Federation government, harkening back to ?Conspiracy? from TNG, heck maybe its even those same aliens. IDK, but let?s take it on ourselves to explain over the course of a season why the Federation is what it is today and maybe give the player a chance to change it back. What do you think?
I've thought about this several times, on why Cryptic went that route. I think they did it on purpose, so Cryptic could be able to do what they want to do with the Star Trek Theme, and to let players do what they want to do. This is likely because that STO is theme based, and not sandbox. If STO were sandbox. We players could do so so so much more than what we can do now.

And to note on the mission series, I think its a good idea. We'd need to definitely sit down and talk which way we'd want to go, who would be responsible for what, etc. If authors could collaborate more than just talk, that be better (like have the ability to share maps that you've made with others).

On that note, I have a some suggestions for a plot line for a Foundry Season:

Borg assimilate Earth, destroy the Federation, or most of it. Or they could also go back in time and succeed in doing what Picard prevented them from doing in First Contact, and the only Federation survivors are you and a task force that followed you into the time portal to try and stop the Borg. Then since they succeeded you'd have to find a way to restore the timeframe.

Klingons win the war, and seriously hurt the Federation, maybe even conquer the Federation. Federation then becomes part of the Klingon Empire.

Mirror Universe agents find a way to join the two universes, thusly making the Terran Empire exist in both. You are one of few remaining independents set out to thwart the Empire, or as a twist, you become part of them.
Primary Character: Ramin
Ship: U.S.S. Versailles (Assault Cruiser: Strategic Ops/Support)
Specialty: Tactical, long range/assault