Captain
# 1 NEW FEATURE: Costume sharing
01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
My idea is this have an online library where authors can share the jpeg save files that are used for custom npcs. Stoacademy.com has a feature for uploading custom aliens but it is glitchy and restricted to aliens only. It would help foundry authors out if they could share their designs instead of reinventing the wheel all the time. Any thoughts from the starbaseugc guys???
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 2
01-19-2013, 01:07 AM
I agree, it would be nice if we could get some sort of database setup at StarbaseUGC where we can share costumes and even entire NPC profiles. I don't know that STOacademy is the right place for that sort of resource.

Click here for my Foundry tutorial on Creating A Custom Interior Map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-19-2013, 01:50 AM
not just costumes, we could share races.. maybe someonem akes a epic race... gets in contact with the mission guy and says "oi, Can I use your racwe for X project?"
Captain
# 4
01-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagorak View Post
I agree, it would be nice if we could get some sort of database setup at StarbaseUGC where we can share costumes and even entire NPC profiles. I don't know that STOacademy is the right place for that sort of resource.
That's the ticket!

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Captain
# 5
01-19-2013, 09:02 AM
I just had an idea for an experiment.

When I save a costume in the Foundry, the editor exports the costume's portrait to my screenshots folder. From there I can re-import it into another Foundry project, or even into the main game for my alien captain.

I've uploaded one such portrait. Someone try saving it to your STO screenshots folder and see if you can upload it into the Foundry.

If it works, we might be able to share costumes without needing a distinct database.
Please fix the Foundry lag!
Career Officer
# 6
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
IF ONLY...

They would allow us to (legally) Mod this game...

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Survivor of Romulus
# 7
01-19-2013, 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I just had an idea for an experiment.

When I save a costume in the Foundry, the editor exports the costume's portrait to my screenshots folder. From there I can re-import it into another Foundry project, or even into the main game for my alien captain.

I've uploaded one such portrait. Someone try saving it to your STO screenshots folder and see if you can upload it into the Foundry.

If it works, we might be able to share costumes without needing a distinct database.
You can. Its as easy as dropping the image file into your screenshots folder. It shows up with the @handle of whomever saved it.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
"I would rather take a chance on getting a change made to the game through positive engagement than know for sure that I got a change made by complaining" -drogyn1701, May 14, 2014.
Career Officer
# 8
01-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drogyn1701 View Post
You can. Its as easy as dropping the image file into your screenshots folder. It shows up with the @handle of whomever saved it.
I've been doing this for a good while at this point.

Recently they added an 'import' and an 'export' button to the costume editor in the Foundry.
Costumes you export to disk get saved to your screenshot folder as a headshot jpeg.

Simply use something like dropbox or google drive to get that file to someone else.
They simply have to drop it into their screenshots, and then that costume will be available via the aforementioned import button.

This also addresses the idea Thay asked for above.
Create an Epic Alien.
Share the costume, share the alien design.

It's actually already very easy to do.
There is no need for new feature.

Now , if we're talking about the ability to share maps.
That.
That would be really cool

Peace, Love and Happy Writing
Captain
# 9
01-19-2013, 04:55 PM
I would love to see maps! But my post was about creating a database of custom characters for all authors to use. Would it be as simple as creating a deviantart or photobucket account???

Rihannsu
# 10
01-19-2013, 06:44 PM
I have to say it would be nice to have a web archive of various aliens.

I created some really cool Boslics. (the purple haired version)
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.