Lt. Commander
Issue # 1 is now for sale. Read more here:

http://trekmovie.com/2013/01/22/trek...to-darkness-1/
Career Officer
# 2
01-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Computer, deactivate lens flare. Deactivate lens flare! AHH!
I miss my _.
Republic Veteran
# 3
01-23-2013, 07:47 PM
*sigh* What happened to the days of writing a movie where you don't have to do background research ahead of time in order to ejoy it?
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Republic Veteran
# 4
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commadorebob View Post
*sigh* What happened to the days of writing a movie where you don't have to do background research ahead of time in order to ejoy it?
I don't recall ever needing to read the first comics for the 2009 movie since it was self explanatory....this is just for fans who want extra....and Trek fans love elaborate explanations
Republic Veteran
# 5
01-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I don't recall ever needing to read the first comics for the 2009 movie since it was self explanatory....this is just for fans who want extra....and Trek fans love elaborate explanations
Unless you wanted to know why Nero was after Spock to begin with and why he would spend 25 years moping. With the comics, Nero becomes an effective villian. Without the comics, he's a brooding emo who just does bad things because he's the bad guy.

I shouldn't have to do research in order to see the difference.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Unless you wanted to know why Nero was after Spock to begin with and why he would spend 25 years moping. With the comics, Nero becomes an effective villian. Without the comics, he's a brooding emo who just does bad things because he's the bad guy.

The deleted scenes on the DVD flesh out Nero's story, too. I really wish they hadn't been deleted, it was pretty cool to see what Nero was up to for 25 years. Simple miner my ass.

Oh yeah, and the Romulus story arc in STO gives some nice explanation as to why Nero's ship was so powerful.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Quote:

The mind meld scene in the movie explain that Nero wants revenge because Spock was too slow to save Romulus. It might not have been in as much detail as we would have liked, but it did explain that basic fact. So no, you dont actually need to read the comic to understand his motivation.
Republic Veteran
# 8
01-23-2013, 10:00 PM
Quote:

They pretty much explained why Nero was chasing Spock...the comic was just extra

The same way you don't need to research Space Seed to know why Khan is chasing Kirk.

Trek villains are obsessive....no explanation necessary.