Captain
# 1 JJ Wars
01-24-2013, 03:34 PM
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...xclusive-74596

I think we can agree that he'd be a better fit for Star Wars.
# 2
01-24-2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...xclusive-74596

I think we can agree that he'd be a better fit for Star Wars.
The majority of critics and viewers thought he fit just right for Star Trek:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-trek

It will be interesting to see whether the Star Wars movie he directs gets a higher score than ST09 or Into Darkness.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
01-24-2013, 03:47 PM
I can dig it. #TeamJJ
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Captain
# 4
01-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by betawatcher View Post
The majority of critics and viewers thought he fit just right for Star Trek
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. But it couldn't even pull off convincing technobabble since it was using "science" that even a fifth grader could tell you was nonsense.

"Magic" fits Star Wars better.
# 5
01-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twg042370 View Post
I enjoyed the movie for what it was. But it couldn't even pull off convincing technobabble since it was using "science" that even a fifth grader could tell you was nonsense.

"Magic" fits Star Wars better.
To be fair, I think he pulls together decent writers for his sci-fi work but countermands them a bit too much.

Orci and Kurtzman are very capable, IMHO. But J.J. basically cut every explanation and mandated most of the sillier aspects. And they had a similar experience with Bay on Transformers.

I'd actually really like to see Orci and Kurtzman stay onboard for Trek but get paired with a thinking man's director, somebody who is highly detail oriented in some way.

Top picks: Aronofsky, Fincher, Nolan, Richard Kelly, Ronald D. Moore, Jane Espensen.

Partner any of these guys with Orci/Kurtzman. I'd also suggest soliciting Dorothy Fontana or David Gerrold for consultant roles.
Career Officer
# 6
01-24-2013, 05:23 PM
I realize it would be just as heretical as J.J. for some people, BTW, but I'd be REALLY intrigued by a Richard Kelly Star Trek.

He has a habit of using real science fairly accurately in places but making it incomprehensibly woven it with weird fantasy elements. I think that could be interesting for Trek because he could really sell the future aspect by making everyone feel like they didn't understand a lick of what they just saw and they weren't supposed to either.

He did Donnie Darko, Southland Tales, The Box. I don't think his prior work is perfect as credentials go but I kinda like the idea of a director doing a type of film he hasn't done before. He's good at working with actors and a range of camera techniques, including explosions and SFX. I think the real trick is pairing him with commercial writers who ground him, kinda like how Mark Frost grounded David Lynch on Twin Peaks.

(It's actually a pretty common pairing in Hollywood. You get an almost borderline schizophrenic artist who makes incomprehensibly dense high art and someone who thinks like a merchandising/advertising exec and force them to collaborate and if they don't kill eachother, the result is almost always great. And REALLY great writers generally can play both roles, reining themselves in.)

I'll also add, this pairing is pretty much what gave us Ghostbusters. Dan Aykroyd has pronounced, I believe diagnosed Asperger's (he identifies publicly as having it) and is very fixated on time travel, UFOs, and the paranormal. And his screenplays are unfilmable, densely packed. I seem to recall that his concept for Ghostbusters had them on a space station and revealed that ghosts were artifacts of time travel and the rate of the universe's expansion creating spatial folds or something like that. And the humor was VERY highbrow. Like, you'd need a Ph.D to get most of it. But pair him up with Harold Ramis and you wind up with Ghostbusters, which is more commercial than anything Aykroyd could do on his own but still, well... I think it stands out as being tremendously more cerebral than Ramis' work on Meatballs or Caddyshack. And Ramis paired with pretty clever writers for Analyze This and Groundhog's Day.

Aykroyd brings the genius, Ramis made it filmable.
Lt. Commander
# 7 reply
01-24-2013, 06:20 PM
how about jerry brukymer taking over you know the who did armeggedon and csi shows he knows how to handle a group cast well.
Captain
# 8
01-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I remember reading a week or two ago that he turned that offer down so he could work on Star Trek. I guess he changed his mind.
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Survivor of Romulus
# 9
01-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I remember reading a week or two ago that he turned that offer down so he could work on Star Trek. I guess he changed his mind.
Or the Disney lawyers threatened to Force-choke him if he revealed it before they were ready.
The Foundry Roundtable live Wednesdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Forum Logic dictates that if the devs don't do what a poster wants, they therefor actively hate what that poster is advocating for. Forum Logic =/= Real Logic
Republic Veteran
# 10
01-24-2013, 04:08 PM
The Star Wars trek has just got interesting