Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Career Officer
So here's the core idea.

1) The poison pill of this proposal: traits get removed.

2) All species get a reputation. The old traits become optional passive unlocks at various tiers of the reputation.

3) You get to start out maxed with your species of choice at login. Additionally, people who own the Joined Trill, Caitian, Ferasan, and Liberated Borg unlocks are automatically maxed with those species factions.

4) You earn species reputation points DIRECTLY whenever you complete a mission with a member of that species in your away team. This excludes Foundry missions, exploration missions, and certain short missions. No marks. No projects. Just a hidden passive on each BO that awards rep for that species. As soon as the "hail contact to complete mission" dialogue appears, you gain rep for all species in your away team, whether bridge officer or player. (This requires content team to manually add a reward trigger to all such missions and add a hidden passive to each BO that determines the reward type.)

5) Alternative projects exist for raising reputation with standard species of your faction. These require dilithium and commodities. Rep is also added to certain Duty Officer assignments. However, because rep is earned directly through mission completions, these are an alternative means of progression to actually earning rep through away team compositions.

6) Fleet CREDIT and Bioneural processors may be exchanged directly for any reputation via project. Fleet CREDIT (rather than Fleet MARKS) so as not to hinder fleet projects. Bioneural processors because you don't have a choice of away teams ESTFs and because BNP stack up more without a designated use whereas Omega Marks have much more continued lifespan. (This also encourages ESTF play.)

7) When you have maxed out a species reputation, you may purchase a species respec token to change species to that species for 1000 ZEN. This is referred to as a Captain Reassignment Token. This clears all costume data and includes a rename, while shifting the player's costume data to the species of choice. You may only respec to a species you have maxed relations with. The supporting text indicates that this is the process of transferring all of a captain's assignments to a captain of a friendly species. This does not alter reputation or traits (because traits are now simply reputation passives).

Side notes:

- All species at character creation start with their home species maxed out and one additional species half-complete. For example, a human starts with maxed human rep and 50% done with Vulcan rep. A Trill starts with maxed Trill rep and 50% done with Vulcan rep. A Bajoran starts with maxed Bajoran rep and 50% done with Human rep.

- This is retroactive for current player characters.

- What about special BOs such as Jem'Hadar, Reman, Breen, etc?

These species -- when part of an away team -- award Jem'Hadar, Reman, Breen, etc. species rep, which may enable a Captain Reassignment to these species when complete. However, this form of reputation will be acquired much more slowly as there are no DOff assignments or projects that will advance reputation with these species and you can fill fewer away team slots with members of these species.

- What about androids and Liberated Borg?

CBS has vetoed player captain androids and Liberated Borg remain a lifer exclusive perk. As such, the Amazon Liberated Borg BO and androids award BYNARS reputation, with supporting text to indicate that Bynars have asked Captains to study the computing and operational systems of certain cybernetic and artificial lifeforms.

- What other perks does reputation for a species provide?

Tier 1 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for common quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive ground trait, which is the award for Tier 1.

Tier 2 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for uncommon quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive space trait, which is the award for Tier 2.

Tier 3 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. This is an addition to the selection of one species passive ground trait, which is the award for Tier 3.

Tier 4 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for very rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers.This is an addition to the selection of one species passive space trait, which is the award for Tier 4.

Tier 5 of a species rep allows requisition projects to be launched for ultra rare quality Duty Officers of a species. A project also exists for bridge officers. A highly expensive project exists for photonic replicas of famous historical members of that species. (Space Lincoln, ahoy!) This is an addition to the selection of TWO species ACTIVE GROUND traits, which is the award for Tier 5.

Additional projects may include species hangar pets, specialty combadges, weapons, and reinforcement consumables.

Thoughts? Feedback?
Empire Veteran
# 2
01-25-2013, 04:12 PM
Even if i like complexity, it's going really too far. I think it's time for you to get back to Earth.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-25-2013, 04:26 PM
I'm not sanguine about exotic species requiring a leveled-up character already in place to be swapped out. Perhaps the reward with them could be access to purchase EITHER a re-species (if, say, you built an Alien as a placeholder to work towards the exotic) or a token to spend on creating one (much like CO's freeform slot).

Other than that... well, I like it because it adds some flexibility and something to work towards over the course of normal types of play - as opposed to diverting time specifically just to grind. But I doubt that, even if they took the core structural idea, it would get implemented as anything other than another ridiculously deep dilithium sink.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Captain
# 4
01-25-2013, 04:32 PM
I do think it's an interesting idea.....

.... for a different video game. If I want to play as a specific race, I should be able to play it right out of the box.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
I do think it's an interesting idea.....

.... for a different video game. If I want to play as a specific race, I should be able to play it right out of the box.
This is an overlay on the original system. It won't shrink anyone's current library of available species. Its primary focus is adding the ability to re-trait/re-species some people have been asking for since the game started. And then it goes way beyond that, but hey, think big.
SQUIRREL!
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
Sarcastic Venom Award!!!!
Bitter old mollusc since before the forum change.
Career Officer
# 6
01-25-2013, 04:58 PM
My only problem is if you are excluding the foundry what other missions exist to take your BOs on that you would typically do at end game - stf doesn't use BOs, neither do fleet actions, or the various 'queues' for romulan and fleet marks.

Seems as though it would be limited to 'episode replay' of the levelling eps....... is that how you envisage it? Because I would want nothing less than to play the levelling missions again!

Jo