Ensign
# 1 Crypitc-Please Retcon us
01-28-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't know how much of this is Perpetual Entertainment's original ideas or Cryptic, but the game is a mess. We have more admirals flying around than captains. The Federation is at war with EVERYBODY. Strange new worlds are nowhere to be seen as the Federation is now on permanent war footing building more Warships than anything else. So many early missions are so badly written that we're left asking the bad guy what we should do. PVP is a mess. The themes of redemption, discovery and cooperation are out the window. Everything is out of whack. So in the spirit of Star Trek itself - Retcon us.
Just use an upcoming season to fix all this. Get the story straight. Figure out where you want to go. Then go back and tweak existing missions and story-lines. Hell, get Will Wheaton to do some voice work for a mission called "The Many Deaths of Wesley Crusher" where Wesley Crusher breaks time and we have to help him fix it, there by changing the story so far slightly.And with any and all solutions ending in a horrible random death for Wesley. Please ,something, your just painting yourselves into corners that are getting harder to get out of. I'm not asking for a new game, just that the game I'm playing make some kind of sense within the Star Trek universe.
You have one of the greatest resources at your finger tips- the Star Trek fan-base and the foundry. Use them to get the stories polished and streamlined. Star Trek Online still has the potential to be a GREAT MMO. Right now it's a mess. Let us help make it better.
Lieutenant
# 2
01-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoulter View Post
I don't know how much of this is Perpetual Entertainment's original ideas or Cryptic, but the game is a mess. We have more admirals flying around than captains. The Federation is at war with EVERYBODY. Strange new worlds are nowhere to be seen as the Federation is now on permanent war footing building more Warships than anything else. So many early missions are so badly written that we're left asking the bad guy what we should do. PVP is a mess. The themes of redemption, discovery and cooperation are out the window. Everything is out of whack. So in the spirit of Star Trek itself - Retcon us.
Just use an upcoming season to fix all this. Get the story straight. Figure out where you want to go. Then go back and tweak existing missions and story-lines. Hell, get Will Wheaton to do some voice work for a mission called "The Many Deaths of Wesley Crusher" where Wesley Crusher breaks time and we have to help him fix it, there by changing the story so far slightly.And with any and all solutions ending in a horrible random death for Wesley. Please ,something, your just painting yourselves into corners that are getting harder to get out of. I'm not asking for a new game, just that the game I'm playing make some kind of sense within the Star Trek universe.
You have one of the greatest resources at your finger tips- the Star Trek fan-base and the foundry. Use them to get the stories polished and streamlined. Star Trek Online still has the potential to be a GREAT MMO. Right now it's a mess. Let us help make it better.

I agree with this guy! Atleast do the many deaths of wesley thing... that would be hilarious!
ODYSSEY SCIENCE CRUISER - U.S.S. MAIDEN TORONTO NX-971312-B
VESTA MULTI-MISSION SURVEILLANCE EXPLORER - U.S.S. HOPE IN HELL NX-902013-A
Fleet member of Access Denied
Captain
# 3
01-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianmetalfan View Post
I agree with this guy! Atleast do the many deaths of wesley thing... that would be hilarious!

There is a book where Veger's big brother is at the center of the galaxy opening wormholes and tossing solar systems into the black hole at the center of the galaxy. Wes shows up and and does his "traveler" thing to bring the enterprise there to deal with it. And he talks about running into a time anomaly and runs into 12 versions of himself and has to convince the other 11 of himself to die.
Captain
# 4
01-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake721 View Post
There is a book where Veger's big brother is at the center of the galaxy opening wormholes and tossing solar systems into the black hole at the center of the galaxy. Wes shows up and and does his "traveler" thing to bring the enterprise there to deal with it. And he talks about running into a time anomaly and runs into 12 versions of himself and has to convince the other 11 of himself to die.
If I were stuck talking to Wesley Crusher for an infinite span of time, I'd probably agree to kill myself, too.
Ensign
# 5
01-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake721 View Post
That sounds like a noble death(s). I want a episode where Wes dies in the course of the mission. Start on the bridge and you and he have to get to the engine room through a ship full of hostile invaders. You'd have multiple routes to get there. Use a Jefferies tube to go through the hanger, and a shuttle craft lands on him, and you'd get the "Crushered" badge for it. And at the end you could replay it and make a different choice where you bypass the hanger and instead go through the kitchen where he slips and knocks himself out and drowns in salad dressing, giving you "Hold the Ranch" badge. Then after you've replayed the mission and seen him die in oh,ten different ways you get the last one where you get him through alive, you beam out, he turns around and walks into an open ,malfunctioning turbo lift tube and fadeout on scream.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
01-28-2013, 10:22 PM
STO is an amusement park for children ...
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Commander
# 7
01-29-2013, 06:43 AM
While I agree with some of the OP's thoughts; the war on all fronts is their storyline, as the Iconians are manipulating various factions into doing their work for them, including the Undine who seem to be doing an admirable job of manipulating others in turn to create as much conflict as possible. That's the setting we're in.

My main issue with the STO storyline is that so many missions are just references to existing episodes of the series rather than being anything truly original. It'd be nice to see of the "hey look at this, another reference" missions being retconned into something that fits the storyline better, but shove them into optional content if you want to play it. For example, it might be nice to see a temporal events mini-arc that focuses on time-travel related missions rather than forcing them into the main story arc.

Exploration could definitely be greatly improved, first of all by adding a lot more content in exploration clusters; currently it's all "delivery X of Y or scan Z things on the planet" which are boring, badly copy-pasted and boring. I'd like to see some properly fleshed out missions, say two or three per exploration cluster where players have to work to learn about a race, find common ground and forge a real connection. Investigate mysteries such as drifting derelicts, or spacial anomalies. Even if they still come from a common pool it'd be nice to see a lot more stuff, ideally with some new mechanics. For example, if I find an anomaly I don't want to just scan X things, I want to gather data then enter my ship to head down to the lab and properly investigate for greater rewards (especially good for science officers), if I find a derelict ship I want to board it and look for survivors, maybe even bring some systems back online (as an engineer character) and send the survivors on their way or, if I can't do it, transport them somewhere else and call for a dedicated repair ship. If I find raiders operating in a region I want to find their weak-points by analysing charts of their activity, then hit them hard with my ship (and maybe some backup) before launching an away team raid on their base to rig their reactor and ensure they can't just set up again. Have these things tie in with duty officer assignments and such, and ideally offer us hands-on ways to earn some of the duty officer experience types.

I don't think Star Trek fans will agree on any one direction for the game, which is why the aim should be to provide plenty of content so players can choose what they want to do, and forge their own story that way.
Captain
# 8
01-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haravikk View Post
I don't think Star Trek fans will agree on any one direction for the game.
Go to ESD.
Ask which Captain was the best.
Ask which series was the best.
Ask which episode was the best.
Ask which movie was the best.
Ask which ship was the best.
Ask which "enemy" was the best.
First Officer? Chief Engineer?
Etc, etc, etc, etc...

Star Trek fans agreeing on anything as a whole...heh, well...yeah - why would it be any different with the game?

Willard the Rat, Klingon Science Officer

Swordsman has a bounce to it...
Commander
# 9
01-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Go to ESD.
Etc, etc, etc, etc...

Star Trek fans agreeing on anything as a whole...heh, well...yeah - why would it be any different with the game?
Getting any fanbase to agree on anything as a whole is impossible.
Lieutenant
# 10
01-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer View Post
Go to ESD.
Etc, etc, etc, etc...

I'll help your point with my ragtag favorites
My Favorite Captain Is Picard,
Best Series TNG
Best Episode What you leave behind. (Final Chapter Arc) DS9
Best movie: Nemesis. (I know..shame)
Best Ship: The Saurians, ship in "The Distant Origin" Voyager Episode 3x23
Best Enemy: The Undine. (Make Harry Kim decay or something like that just by contact)
First Officer: Chakotay
Engineer: Tripp Tucker

As you can see I'm all over the map lol.