Captain
[s]Bring your A game. Load up on the most cheesiest combos and equipment. You like one tric ponies? Well, its authorized!

Clear them as fast as you can, as often as you can. Rate them as low as possible.

And with enough times, the AI would consider it unsuitable for the IOR.

(You can keep the vendor change as you **** the grinder dry, or donate to a charity of your choice.)

I've already done a lot of battleship grinders by participating in them and completing them way ahead of time. Going to try and break some boff grinders soon. But I can't do this alone. Are you with me?
[/s]

UPDATED:

Figures that the last hare-brained scheme I come up with while on a very bad streak of luck blows up into a 7 page thread of kicking the proverbial nest.

Firstly, I didn't know I had any respect to be 'destroyed', I'm mostly just a forumite that posts and gets ignored most of the time. I'd just play the game, and occasionally I get an idea that I think I should share, shoot it into the forum and carry on trucking.

Now for some context. I hated the notion of grinders initially. And I had ignored them too. It was only until DJ Gir Aiynd appeared that I got curious enough to go see what's the fuss about. The mission was Battleship Royale, one that I hear being tossed about as the next big thing of the Foundry. So I fire it up. Immediately I was thrown face to face with a "WWF ring lady" and warped into a dense 3-way fight which was dissolved by a DPB3 + tric mine salvo in the middle. Each wave after that I just wrecked with the same strategy and using cannons to mop up any survivors.

There was loots, but it was a terrible mission. I thot at that time that there was no immersion, the dialogue broke the 4th wall, and why on earth was there a ringlady?! I cleared it, rated it a 1-star, and gave the author a piece of my mind in the reviews section. So much for curiosity.

Then I turned in IOR and realized I had cleared the mission under 15 mins. That was where the hare-brain of mine started ticking and I started running Royale over and over, trying to best my earlier timing. I got up to 8min on my third run, but I also noticed that replaying the same mission merely opened up my last review and rating, not allowing me to submit a new one. That's when I ran to the forums asking for more lightning grinders. Based on the threads I read, I thot I was doing the community a service!

So I went back into the game and ground me some STFs.

Later, a fleetmate was asking for more to do Royale, and that he was going to do it on elite. Thinking it would be a good idea to clear it fast and disqualify it quicker, I agreed.

I really didn't know what I got myself into. Dropping the mines didn't 1-shot the melee, and instead I had very angry npcs blasting through my shields and half my FTER hull while I was turning to make a 2nd attack run at half impulse. eSTF serious mode engaged, blew cooldowns and I scrambled back to the others for heals. We had vent too, and another fleetie had just got shredded by a torp spread, so there were cries of wtf all over subspace.

The rest of the game went by freaking hilariously. 5 endgame experienced and geared STF grinders from the fleet were present and yet the mission was putting up quite the fight. I saw ships I never encountered before. And they were HUGE compared to the FTER so it felt epic just weaving through the mess of beams, frigates and exploding torps to get to the sweet spot to drop my payload. And I got one-shot by Tholian Stasis Cannon over and over like in the Red Alert.

It was so crazy we were actually having fun.

We did Royale 2 more times, and then I discovered the daily loot limit. In total I made about 400k from vendored trash and put a couple of rare XIs on the exchange. In the face of 80million EC starships, 400k is but a river emptying into the ocean. Looks like there was a economic safety put in place.

So, on hindsight, I realized that not all grinders were dumb exploits. Those that actually involved playing the game made you earn your keep, but rewarded you handsomely for effort. Sure, I still hate that ringlady, and the wall-breaking dialogue, but I also realize that Investigate Officer Reports has me playing through holodeck simulations. That means we could easily put grinders under the metafictional category of Tactical Simulations for captains to learn/refresh themselves about potential threats to the Federation. Playing it with the right people and the right difficulty makes a good grinder fun. And because of the effort needed, its not an exploit. Because, on hindsight, what's the difference between grinding official content on a 15min timer and 1h cooldown, and grinding UGC on a 30min cooldown?

I still think DJ Gir Aiynd was a terrible mission along with the other afk boff grinders present. I wish there was a way to differentiate between afk and non-afk grinders as well as between grinders and story missions. But I must confess that on hindsight, not all grinders are evil. It was another scatter-brained moment I had on the level of suggesting that the dil limit be halved to fix the economy (yeah I said that once too.)

Edited OP with my new insight. And thanks again for showing the error of my ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.

Last edited by khayuung; 01-29-2013 at 04:00 PM.
Ensign
# 2
01-28-2013, 11:58 PM
After lengthy and heated discussion with my officers it has been unanimously decided to reject your proposal.
tl;dr:no
Captain
# 3
01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khayuung View Post
Bring your A game. Load up on the most cheesiest combos and equipment. You like one tric ponies? Well, its authorized!

Clear them as fast as you can, as often as you can. Rate them as low as possible.

And with enough times, the AI would consider it unsuitable for the IOR.

(You can keep the vendor change as you **** the grinder dry, or donate to a charity of your choice.)

I've already done a lot of battleship grinders by participating in them and completing them way ahead of time. Going to try and break some boff grinders soon. But I can't do this alone. Are you with me?
Way ??????
There is nothing wrong with the grinders that is all the game is any way.
Career Officer
# 4
01-29-2013, 12:44 AM
Frankly, I find it sad that you would rather spend your time trying to mess things up for other people, instead of just ignoring the missions you don't agree with in favour of spending your time playing content you do agree with. Like most of us do.
Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since Beta.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs.
Take one down, patch it around.
127 little bugs in the code...
Captain
# 5
01-29-2013, 12:50 AM
And just who do you think you are to decree how others are supposed to play the game? Live and let live, ya petty dictator wannabe.
Career Officer
# 6
01-29-2013, 01:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamseenair View Post
Frankly, I find it sad that you would rather spend your time trying to mess things up for other people, instead of just ignoring the missions you don't agree with in favour of spending your time playing content you do agree with. Like most of us do.
Agreed and the important part of Khamseenair's post is highlighted for effect. If you dont agree with grinding missions then IGNORE them!! FFS dont ruin something OTHERS find useful. There's room for both grinding content and good story mission content. Trust me if there are good foundry missions in the list they will get played too and there are some EXCELLENT ones in there that I play regularly as well as grinding missions.
Admiral Rednall
* Server Hamster - This time it's personal *
Rihannsu
# 7
01-29-2013, 01:31 AM
It would be amusing to watch haters try to "destroy" grinders by furiously grinding them all day...

Even if they did manage to get the average time low enough not to count, that mission would just be remade and/or 5 copycats would pop up in its place.
Ensign
# 8
01-29-2013, 01:56 AM
Seriously, it's not enough that Cryptic shafted players with these horrendous dilithium sinks in s6 and now even worse in s7, no, you also have these contemptible collaborators such as the OP who want to ruin the game even more.
Career Officer
# 9
01-29-2013, 01:58 AM
Come on, let's keep this elitist foundry stuff to the foundry forum. Some (actually most) of us subhuman animals that obviously can't read well enough to sift through 90 minutes of walls of text in a shooter and exploration game actually like the quickies. You guys just stay up in your castle on the hill sipping wine and let us peasants do our thing.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 10
01-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxadrill View Post
Agreed and the important part of Khamseenair's post is highlighted for effect. If you dont agree with grinding missions then IGNORE them!! FFS dont ruin something OTHERS find useful. There's room for both grinding content and good story mission content. Trust me if there are good foundry missions in the list they will get played too and there are some EXCELLENT ones in there that I play regularly as well as grinding missions.
I agree. I use the BOFF grinders to test my BOFFs. I wondered why I always fell to Roms. Doing the Romulan grinder, I found my team didn't last against them. No problem against the others.

Grind if you want, but, I appreciate a good tool when I have it.
I love nice long walks in the country.
Especially if they're taken by people who annoy me!
Ar ais olc leis an doer olc
Closed Thread