Lt. Commander
What happens if one day STO 2 comes out? Will I lose everything or could there be perks for my new character in the new game depending on the progression of my old STO 1 character?
Career Officer
# 2
02-01-2013, 01:06 AM
What happens if a massive asteroid hits the Earth? Will it impact in Europe and mostly kill people there or could it also kill people in the Americas?

This game will not last forever, but I doubt that there are any plans for a STO II at the moment and I doubt anyone can tell you how the transition will be handled.

So don't worry about it until it happens. It is very possible that you will be run over by a bus and die long before this game does.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
What happens if a massive asteroid hits the Earth? Will it impact in Europe and mostly kill people there or could it also kill people in the Americas?

This game will not last forever, but I doubt that there are any plans for a STO II at the moment and I doubt anyone can tell you how the transition will be handled.

So don't worry about it until it happens. It is very possible that you will be run over by a bus and die long before this game does.
I highly doubt that the game will last longer than I do, unless you take an active role in my demise .
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
02-01-2013, 01:08 AM
Your grandkids might be interested in that retro sci-fi stuff
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Captain
# 5
02-01-2013, 01:25 AM
MMOs usually don't do "Part 2" like ordinary videogame sequels. The beauty of a MMO is that it can be constantly improved and updated over time and never be shut down so long as it's making money. For example, WoW could go on long after all of us die of old age if the internet continues to exist and there are people alive who want to play and pay enough for it to make a profit. The same could be for STO.

We will never see "STO: Part 2". We will probably see "STO: Season 10". We might even be lucky enough to see "STO: Season 50". By that time, the game will be so much more enhanced from its original release that it might as well be a different game. The upshot is that our accounts will still be there if we want to keep playing for that long.
Commander
# 6
02-01-2013, 01:52 AM
Typically saying MMOs don't release a sequel until they feel they've done all they can with the current engine. That being said, whatever happens will be a decision made by CBS with possible advisement from Cryptic/PWE.

Last edited by bluedarky; 02-01-2013 at 01:58 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
02-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by logicalspock View Post
Actually thats something predictable ... instead of STO 2 Transitions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedarky View Post
Typically saying MMOs don't release a sequel until they feel they've done all they can with the current engine. That being said, whatever happens will be a decision made by CBS with possible advisement from Cryptic/PWE.
And there is no real reason to release STO with a different engine, since PC-Graphics are kind of stagnant for years now ...
Career Officer
# 8
02-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Yeah, it would be up to CBS and if investment into a new MMO is worthwhile, especially with STO still active.

So IMHO, if CBS did decide to start a new MMO, STO likely would be shut down since the new MMO would be the same thing as STO with us flying canonical Star Trek ships and going to canonical locations. But seriously doubt that will ever happen since Cryptic will keep expanding the game and improving the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
What happens if one day STO 2 comes out? Will I lose everything or could there be perks for my new character in the new game depending on the progression of my old STO 1 character?
Of course, it's a new MMO.
NO to ARC!

Season 9.5 = STO's NGE is Here! Welcome to the Grind!
Expansion 2 - Delta Rising: Welcome to Tier 6, where everything is now obsolete. Have fun with the new Crafting!
Lieutenant
# 9
02-01-2013, 02:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gong1fu1panda View Post
What happens if one day STO 2 comes out?
What happens is that it will shutdown within the year.
Assuming STO 1 won't get shutdown within the next couple years and someone will actually be willing to part with the investment to develop STO 2 (which is somewhere on the probability scale of overthrowing the illuminati banking system and hanging politicians alongside their rich 1% tycoon buddies for perpetuated crimes against western human society).

# 10
02-01-2013, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oriklein View Post
(which is somewhere on the probability scale of overthrowing the illuminati banking system and hanging politicians alongside their rich 1% tycoon buddies for perpetuated crimes against western human society).
I think your tin foil hat is a wee bit tiny, its hurting your critical thinking skills (assuming you had them in the first place)