Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Ensign
Hello there. I seem to have a bit of a problem with the Fleet system.

I'm a relatively new player, got my first 50 1-2 months ago. Since then ofc i have been dreaming of having one of those cool ships the vice admirals ride in. I did some research on the ZEN and fleet systems and i'm starting to lose hope.

The ships that require a T5 Shipyard are my main goal. They'r powerful and good looking and have all the cool stuff i'v been wanting to have. But the problem i face is a big one. As far as i know if i join a low lv fleet it would take a lot of time to get it to the stage i desire so the ships i'v been wanting to have become available. Don't get me wrong. If i could play the game many hours a day i wouldn't mind building a fleet from scratch. The reason that's not ideal for me is that i rly don't have that much spare time because of work. When i asked around if someone would take me in a high lvl fleet i got 2 types of responses: " we had to do so much work to get a fleet to that lv and you want to get what we achieved with no effort at all?" and " i can get you what you want for 25mil EC. Whatcha think?"

As a new player that amount of EC is sooo huge. Considering the time i can spare to play the game it would take me forever to grind. The second idea i understand - you can't just trust an outsider with the fleet you invested so much in. He can steal stuff or just get a ship and disappear.

I am rly not that guy. I'm not seeking some dishonest gain or something. I just want to get a cool ship i couldn't otherwise afford considering my free time. Is there rly no fleet that would let me join them? Can i at least try to win their trust before being rejected? Sure i want a ship but it doesn't end there. I will be friendly and helpful to the fullest of my ability but to do that i first need a chance. Is there someone here that can give me that?
Career Officer
# 2
02-01-2013, 06:14 PM
there are fleets who sell ship provisions for much less (or much more with better conditions). you may just keep an eye open and have to wait a while.... you may want to give your @handle, so anyone reading this could respond ...

my fleets shipyard is only t2 btw, so i can't help you directly. you may also should consider joining a fleet and contributing for a while before getting able to buy things. it's just normal ...

Klink: House of Beautiful - J'Luc / Rommie: Lag Industries - D'Waste
Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PLZ ADD MARKS-TO-CHOOSE PACKS AND AFK/LEAVER PENALTY TO PVP PUBLIC QUES (not privates!)
AND DON'T TOUCH OUR DIL!!!

Last edited by wast33; 02-01-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Rihannsu
# 3
02-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wast33 View Post
there are fleets who sell ship provisions for much less (or much more with better conditions).
But is kinda of the issue, Fleets were turned from Guilds into another money making scheme that 2 sides are exploiting ... Cryptic and some players.

I dont think its provisions that are a problem, its the "I want you to pay for them" that is a problem because this created a situation were players feel they payed for something (and they did) and feel they need to be compensated from it, of course I could say not everyone feels the same but heck, you seen the replies the OP got that shows this is exactly what is happening.

So congratulations on your long term goal Cryptic, I could have said you shouldn't had bothered because your playerbase was quite as capable as going as low to exploit others even before the Fleet system come about, they didnt need the Fleet to go so low you know ...
Career Officer
# 4
02-01-2013, 06:36 PM
...+ it's the only way for non-fleet players (who don't want to join ever) to get fleet-ships and an opportunity for the fleets to give rewards to their members.
indeed it's caused by cryptics policy, but i also think there's nothing wrong with it (besides the initially policy, which is now set and to handle).
the provisions fleets are selling were earned over long time and with great sinks, so there's nothing wrong with selling access i guess ^^...
on the other hand: just join and wait to get promoted... got ribbed off? found your own fleet or take your time to look for a proper fleet...
just my 2c

Join Date Hoster: Dec 2011 - Join Date Symbiont: 1403 A.D. and not a dull moment
PLZ ADD MARKS-TO-CHOOSE PACKS AND AFK/LEAVER PENALTY TO PVP PUBLIC QUES (not privates!)
Career Officer
# 5
02-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Problem is its really easy to get burned right now..

..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino
Rihannsu
# 6
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Of course there is something wrong, it segregated not only the players but also the Fleets.

I could swear before Season 6 come they said there would be Public Fleets ... that did not happened, why?

A public Fleet would allow all players access to the Fleet system without either having to be part of it or having to be at a certain level, it would mean that sure we would likely having to pay more for the same things but access would not be denied based on being in one or not or the Fleet actual level.

Also it really changed Fleets, before it was shared bank and sure, there was the occasional complain about it being raided by someone (fortunately a rare event) but after Season 6 we now have to deal with a situation, the Megafleets that have it all and the not-Megafleets that have some things (maybe T3) but lack the ability to go beyond that and their choices are either linger and die because nobody will join then (only saving grace is the 500 members limit, pray that its not extended meaning at one point the small Fleets are the only option to actually be in the Fleet system), linger and advance at the pace they can (T4 upgrade when the great 2010's depression is over) or push forward the best they can (T4 next year or so).

Do I think its wrong? Yes because Fleets should be a community ... not a shop, Cryptic turn then into shops were people sell goods, goods they acquired by spending money on them and few have the feeling of sharing something they helped create with their fellow guildmembers ... instead is a good and I should not even go over who actually PAYED for provisions because I am pretty sure some officers that are taking the 25 millions into their accounts payed exactly zero for it.
Captain
# 7
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
There is a Guy that is always in ESD selling access to his tier 5 shipyard, 40 mil EC
Career Officer
# 8
02-01-2013, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post

Do I think its wrong? Yes because Fleets should be a community ... not a shop, Cryptic turn then into shops were people sell goods, goods they acquired by spending money on them and few have the feeling of sharing something they helped create with their fellow guildmembers ... instead is a good and I should not even go over who actually PAYED for provisions because I am pretty sure some officers that are taking the 25 millions into their accounts payed exactly zero for it.
that's about the fleet's policy itself and how close it works as a micro-community. actually i agree that fleet's not should be "shops", but on the other hand i love that most of the best ships are fleetships. and you just have to play the game to get em, you can't buy em with real money. only with distributions+time, or now sometimes with ec (+fleet credits and fsm in some cases, which are also obtainable with ec...) which also takes time and effort to gain.
actually i build my own starbase with some help of a friend because i don't wanna be in a fleet with people i don't know personally. f.e. i bought the recon-sci-vessel (4tac consoles) from my own t2 shipyard...
so again OP and as stated elsewhere: take your time and look out for proper people to be with, that's the easiest way ....

Last edited by wast33; 02-01-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Career Officer
# 9
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I get where most fleets are coming from, ours is at t4 and t5 is a long way away. Why would a fleet with a T5 starbase (which has costs of about $7000 if you used the dil exchange) want to give you something when you didn't help in the least? Does the fleet need you? No, you admittly don't play much, won't contribute nearly anything (not that they have any issue with resources because most fleets at T5 now are huge) and just want the best of the best without any real effort. So if you want the best of the best, you pay up, or you work hard, but the best things in STO life aren't free.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Rihannsu
# 10
02-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicha0 View Post
Why would a fleet with a T5 starbase (which has costs of about $7000 if you used the dil exchange) want to give you something when you didn't help in the least?
There is another question.

From that point when all upgrades are completed how can someone help?

Sure they can run the 30 minute projects because they were meant exactly for that, generate Fleet Credits (even if, as expected, they screwed up by forcing all projects to have something more that Fleet Marks input making such projects to eventually stall for new players) and sure there are the provisioning projects, upgraded right to T5 requirements (again, potentially leading to stalling) but fact is anyone that comes after its done is not going to help building the Starbase.

So are Fleets now just for Alts?

That is why I said the only good thing is the 500 limit because the Megafleets will reach that point ... to a degree (they cannot as if that will prevent their Alts from joining and leaving and also of being able to sell their access to T5) leaving only the smaller Fleets being able to take new players that really have no choice, Megafleets will not take then because Alts and Shop and they cannot generate the amounts to pay to but access to those stores.

Fat Cats getting Fatter ...

Also as I pointed out ... community, "helping" is not when I am expecting a payment and the payment is provisions and access and right now this is what the Fleet system is, payments.

Also I kindly shown a alternative, Public Fleets ... equal access, tiered payment model.