Career Officer
# 1 Just curious.
02-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Blah blah blah balance. Blah blah blah skill. Blah blah blah facerollers in bugs. Derp.

But anyways. Why are we in here. I guess it should be known by now that I consider the foundation of this entire system effed up to the point that without fixing it first anything else is just a huge waste of resources. C'mon now, who's going to balance special sooper powers like placates that work off the obviously broken acc/def/crit Unholy Trinity? Well the answer is it isn't happening so lets just accept that gaffe and move along.

Suppose you DID think at least SOMETHING about the present state of play. Say you have SOME idea of what you feel about the basic level of interactions between the different systems at work. And by THAT I mean before Doffs. In all thier profoundly held back intellectual development glory. Lets just pretend that BEFORE Doffs there was at least some thought put into things like cooldowns. No and not the make believe global cooldown some of you wonders still insist exists. But the system cool downs and shared cooldowns. The ones we actually have. Yah those. So gee someone had to pick numbers for those. Let's assume they didn't pick them out of a hat. They must have had or you would like to THINK they had some sort of reasoning behind the values they picked.

So.....Doffs that can reduce the cooldowns of.....oh just about anything these days. Who thought that was clever? Really now. Why not just say "We consider our entire system so effed up that we can't possibly make it any worse by doing this"?

You have to understand that cooldowns are one of the key components to balance. Oh I guess everyone does because placates eff up some long cooldown abilites causing them to be wasted so sure I guess the idea that cooldowns are there for a reason isn't entirely strange.

You just can't blatantly mess with cooldowns to the degree that Doffs allow and expect anything to be balanced. It can't be. It's FAR to dramatic a change. So there's really only one way to regard CD doffs. And that is that they severely unbalance the game by trivializing the original CD's that were implemented for cause.

And it isn't restricted to AuxBat builds. That build is out there, but it isn't the only one. In general, Doffs that blow away core design concepts are BAD. Doffs that give a slight boost, or even a LARGE boost to a single ability are preeeettty good. Like shield distro Doffs. Or the Doff that can add a bit of heal over time to aux to structural. Or the doff that increases healing after emergency to aux. Doffs that with some thought can be very strong.

But who would use them when you can just reduce every ability to a system CD?

Anyways. I'm not actually curious. I just thought it WAS curious. You know. Like..."Hey thats curious!" And then you would point out a monkey named Phil. Sort of like that.

Cheers and happy flying!

Awesome Blog
Awesome Videos
Website that's always under construction
And...FACEBOOK MEH!
Captain
# 2
02-02-2013, 07:19 PM
I say it and i say it again as i have advocated for:

Return to 1.2 of the game. Problem solved.
Co-founder of The Spanish Inquisition TSI - Cause no one expects it!

PaxOttomana: gawd mirror event is like fighting a tsi premade, they keep comin and comin!
Commander
# 3
02-03-2013, 01:56 AM
^^ THIS, THIS, THIS!

I buy lifetime sub, heck, I can buy one each year if I get one of the pre-F2P versions of STO.
Ensign
# 4
02-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Agree with the above posters...
Career Officer
# 5
02-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarathos1978 View Post
^^ THIS, THIS, THIS!

I buy lifetime sub, heck, I can buy one each year if I get one of the pre-F2P versions of STO.
What? You'd just complain about teams beating you queues.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.