Lt. Commander
# 1 Cryptic should give up...
02-03-2013, 09:50 PM
After reading Peregrine Falcon's informative history on Cryptic and the Klingon Empire. It appears that in three years, Cryptic have been consistently lying and manipulating their player base. It is sad to see Star Trek used in this way, I've never been overly enthralled with the Klingon Empire so I never noticed before but I really feel for Klingon players due to what they have had to put up with from Cryptic.

Cryptic had made consistent mistakes on both the Federation and Klingon side and now they want to bring in a third faction as well? I think its about time they admitted that they just cannot cope with the scope of the project and give it over to somebody who can.

Unfortunately, I fear that things are only going to get worse when the lockboxes and ships are going to wear thin over the gaping lack of content. Why should Stahl and the rest of the team care about the monster they created? Not with people signing their paychecks each month with lock-boxes.

Last edited by warbird001; 02-03-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Captain
# 2
02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
I am waiting for May's update to see if Cryptic has completely screwed over the KDF faction. If they introduce a new playable faction and KDFs aren't at the level that Feds were at launch, then they have screwed up. It is possible to have two well designed factions in one major update, but considering their past, then it is not surprising that most people doubt that they can do it. Cryptic had a really short development time which initially screwed up the KDF faction. They should have just done the Federation faction, then introduce the KDF faction later instead of releasing the KDF faction as a PvP faction. Then there was the problem of Atari screwing over Cryptic since they obviously wanted to just sell Cryptic and not provide a decent budget. Even after PWE took over and hired a bunch of people, it takes time for employees to be properly trained and develop content. Hopefully, STO is done with all the idiocy that has hindered the development of this game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I am waiting for May's update to see if Cryptic has completely screwed over the KDF faction. If they introduce a new playable faction and KDFs aren't at the level that Feds were at launch, then they have screwed up. It is possible to have two well designed factions in one major update, but considering their past, then it is not surprising that most people doubt that they can do it. Cryptic had a really short development time which initially screwed up the KDF faction. They should have just done the Federation faction, then introduce the KDF faction later instead of releasing the KDF faction as a PvP faction. Then there was the problem of Atari screwing over Cryptic since they obviously wanted to just sell Cryptic and not provide a decent budget. Even after PWE took over and hired a bunch of people, it takes time for employees to be properly trained and develop content. Hopefully, STO is done with all the idiocy that has hindered the development of this game.
So how long are we supposed to sit here and hope while they milk us for money and add items into the game the unbalance PvP and have no need to be in the game in the first place. I would be happy to have another Year of Hell if it meant they would completely redesign the game from the ground up.
Empire Veteran
# 4
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Captain
# 5
02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Here is how I see it...

During the first six months of my "STO" experience, Cryptic kept saying they were: (1) developing new featured episodes, (2) pushing to restore the first 25 levels of KDF, (3) adding content for casual players, and (4) adding new 'overall' content for KDF.
(Jan 2012-June 2012)

After my first six months of experience, Cryptic did a complete one-hundred eighty degree turn on all four issues. According to the folks in charge, KDF doesn't make enough money. Instead of creating new featured episodes, Cryptic decided to abandon them for the 'Foundry Spotlight'.
(June 2012-December 2012)

Approximately three days ago, I decided to seek out another game. Even though its F2P elements are slightly restricted, compared to "STO's", I am having a one hell of a great time. Since Cryptic didn't want to deliver a variety of factions, new clothing styles, new main quests, new c-store items (outside of duty officers and cruiser ships), and less grinding, I decided that I had to find my thrill somewhere else.

...and, I did.

Even though I have decided to play another game, I will come back to see what Cryptic has done for season eight. If they do not finally deliver the goods, while keeping the costs down, I may decide its time to move onward.

As far as I am concerned, "Star Trek: Online" is a great game overall. When it comes to delivering new content, the only thing we will get is grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding, grinding, etc...

Cryptic will never-ever flesh out the KDF faction, nor will they reduce the insane grinding caused by the reputation system, fleet bases, and embassies combined.

When it comes to the Romulan faction, I personally do not think Cryptic is going to come through. Instead of getting a full Romulan faction, I bet we are only going to get a 'playable character'. We will get something similar to the Caitian, Trill, and Ferasan. Its not going to be a completely new faction. Its going to be a 'playable character'.

I bet you a lot of money that players have hyped season eight into something it is not.

Unless someone comes down from the heavens, the only thing Cryptic will do is add to the grindfest.

I love Cryptic. I really do.

I just do not think they know the definition of fun.

Cryptic's version of fun is insane grinding, and I do not think that will ever change.

Last edited by linyive; 02-05-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 6
02-03-2013, 10:05 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~BranFlakes

Last edited by pwebranflakes; 02-03-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Career Officer
# 7
02-03-2013, 10:11 PM
:O I hope they dont give up, I bought a lifetime sub a couple of years ago. I expect to be able to play for many years to come still. Even if they started to create flying snowcones that shoot sillystring while playing frosty the snowman, I would stay. I have found friends on here that I wouldnt wanna see go. Our fleet is a good bunch of people, we are really a close-nit community. Im always glad to be recived by them. They are my main reason for being here, well that and getting to play as CatStar =^.^=

Lets say they did make flying snowcones....would that be the next breen ship giveaway? :3
Deviant Art-Youtube- =^.^=The Red Pill
The path I choose to resist ARC
How Picard dealt with ARC!
Empire Veteran
# 8
02-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Well forgive me for my earlier remark if you managed to read it before branflakes took it down but I have to say that cryptic is doing good.I mean seriously this game was free MMO of the year and I'm sure cryptic does their best so think about that next time you bad mouth them.
Ensign
# 9
02-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by westx211 View Post
Well forgive me for my earlier remark if you managed to read it before branflakes took it down but I have to say that cryptic is doing good.I mean seriously this game was free MMO of the year and I'm sure cryptic does their best so think about that next time you bad mouth them.
well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out
Ensign
# 10
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkoneeightseven View Post
well given that sw:tor is now free2play, sto will never win that title ever again.

sorry guys, but coming from a die hard trekkie, this game blows. i left it a year ago, i have two lifetime accounts, and i still can't see any reason to come back.

I don't like how the games been developed, and it's lack thereoff. it's just a little bit repugnant to me that this game is associated with the name of star trek.

goodluck to those of you still here, i'll drop in occassionally to see whats been happening, but i have no expectations that this game will ever be something that i as a trekker could be proud of.

/out
Really? The buggy, bland, kludgy, looks like a five year old game but isn't SWTOR is going to win? With it's inane lockouts and push to subscribing? I'd have put down some credibility if you'd said DDO or, hell, even LotRO for instance, but until SWTOR makes some massive changes, it's DOA.