Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,557
# 1 New Miranda Class please
02-08-2013, 08:02 AM
Hello people.

I've been thinking that the Miranda class needs a new lease on life. Sure, we get to fly it when we start (well, those who haven't bought z-store ships), but I really think we should have a higher level version of the ship.

Why? Well, the ship is iconic. Kahn almost defeated Kirk in Star Trek II in one, they fought at alongside the Defiant at the battle for DS9, they fought the Borg defending Earth in First Contact, etc etc etc.

Now, by no means should this be a VA ship!!! That would be ludicrous. A commander or captain variant, however, would be quite cool. Load it up with a new console and stick it in the z-store. This would help the fact that not too many things have been going in to the z-store lately. It could be a cruiser/escort hybrid.

Anyone else like to see the Miranda get revamped? Comment if you do.

Oh, please no hijacks about Feds getting all the ships from the klinks. If you have a ship you'd like to see in the game then make a thread that suggests the idea. I'd support it even though I don't play klink.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,394
# 2
02-08-2013, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darramouss1 View Post
Now, by no means should this be a VA ship!!! That would be ludicrous.
Why not? You yourself stated they fought at alongside the Defiant at the battle for DS9, they fought the Borg defending Earth in First Contact, etc etc etc. Why couldn't it be as powerful as a saber? Or a Ferengi Marauder? Or a Vulcan science ship? The whole idea of what can or can't be a VA ship has decayed so much with the lockbox lotto that I'm not really sure why it's worth a debate anymore. The Miranda will be less powerful than a Galor or a Bug Ship or whatever. So it should be a-OK in terms of what's what. Howbout this, make it an RA ship instead? One bump below the VA, sort of. And definitely below whatever pops out of a lottery box.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,557
# 3
02-08-2013, 08:15 AM
Just because they fight alongside a ship doesn't make them as strong. That's like saying if I fought alongside Muhammad Ali in his day that I would have been just as great a fighter as he.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 4
02-08-2013, 08:31 AM
If I'm not mistaken, Mirandas in DS9/FC were basically the space equivalent of redshirts.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 5,993
# 5
02-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Faught along side you say?

Funny... I always thought it was "Blown to pieces alongside the Defiant" xD
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,086
# 6
02-08-2013, 08:44 AM
This would make an excellent candidate for that role.

...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 227
# 7
02-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
Faught along side you say?

Funny... I always thought it was "Blown to pieces alongside the Defiant" xD
This...

In the Dominion War and against the Borg the only thing I saw from the Miranda was it getting blown to bits all over the screen. Even in Star Trek II, the Miranda catches the Enterprise with pants down/no shields and still the Connie takes a beating and keeps on going. However when the Miranda has no shields, Kirk blows it to pieces with 2 torpedoes and some random phaser fire.

At least the Connie/Excelsior are tankish and were shown to be pretty durable ships in the Star Trek films and shows. The Miranda though is mostly just cannon fodder.

That having been said, I don't mind those that want to have their nostalgic ship later on in the game. They could do a variant like they did for the Nebula and Galaxy to upate the look so it feels more like an updated ship and make it playable at Commander/Captain level. Especially for Engineer, who I feel has the worst ship options at Commander, but at least we have the Ambassador now along with the Excelsior.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 640
# 8
02-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
Why not? You yourself stated they fought at alongside the Defiant at the battle for DS9, they fought the Borg defending Earth in First Contact, etc etc etc. Why couldn't it be as powerful as a saber? Or a Ferengi Marauder? Or a Vulcan science ship? The whole idea of what can or can't be a VA ship has decayed so much with the lockbox lotto that I'm not really sure why it's worth a debate anymore. The Miranda will be less powerful than a Galor or a Bug Ship or whatever. So it should be a-OK in terms of what's what. Howbout this, make it an RA ship instead? One bump below the VA, sort of. And definitely below whatever pops out of a lottery box.
I like this idea please make it so
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 267
# 9
02-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Beautiful ship --- but what's the OBSESSION with Trek "insignia-shaped" saucers there days?
http://media.photobucket.com/image/dofftrader/yoreantiques/DOFFtrader.gif
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,086
# 10
02-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon92518 View Post
Beautiful ship --- but what's the OBSESSION with Trek "insignia-shaped" saucers there days?
They've used up the Round & Oval ones?
...... DaveyNY ...STO Forum Member since February - 2009
..............Star Trek Fan since Thursday Sept. 8th, 1966
There are No Longer any STO Veterans... We're Just People who have Played the Game for the last 4.5 years.
I Really Do Miss the little TOP Button at the bottom of the threads.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:10 AM.