Career Officer
# 1 Chat channels Listings
02-08-2013, 04:09 PM
can you guys start a list here of all the chat channels that are available in game if there is such a list forgive me I have not seen it I just think it should be here for those of us to look at instead of guessing whats there and we can join those channels that intrest us hell who knows it might make the game even social ya know ?
Former PWE Community Team Lead
# 2
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildweasal View Post
can you guys start a list here of all the chat channels that are available in game if there is such a list forgive me I have not seen it I just think it should be here for those of us to look at instead of guessing whats there and we can join those channels that intrest us hell who knows it might make the game even social ya know ?
http://www.stowiki.org/Global_Channel_Directory These are the more popular ones, it seems, but there are many, many more out there. Feel free to add more!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Brandon "BranFlakes" Felczer | Former Community Team Lead for Perfect World Entertainment
Republic Veteran
# 3
02-08-2013, 04:46 PM
Create a Ferasan KDF player and join the Ferasan Shadow Force. Our channel, Catphone, is open to all of your characters as long as one of them meets the aforementioned requirements.

I find that channel to be far more informative and entertaining than Zone chat. They only two rules are no politics and no religion, and they are strictly enforced by a handselected group of moderators.

Otherwise, it's a great channel to be involved in.
Click here to watch my STO play-through video series.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
The global chat channels are very useful, and as the name suggests, global.

They're cross-fleet, cross-faction, cross-server, and accessible outside of the game with an XMPP client.

To access outside of game, you used to have to a) be a gold/lifetime member, and b) sign up to the tribble test server. Not sure if thats still the case, Brandon, can you confirm?

The STOwiki list Brandon linked is a good list, I'm subbed to most of the channels with the exceptions of PVP, Podcast, and radio station ones.

Other channels I'm subbed to that may be useful to others;
  • Foundry; Pretty self explanatory, for discussion, advice, questions relating to the foundry.
  • Multi-Fleet; For offering/requesting the services of fleet starbases/embassies.
  • EliteSTF; Was of two minds whether to list this channel or not. The channel has changed a lot since I first joined it, its gone private, invite only, and has more rules, ops and admins, than seem necessary. If you can handle the bureaucracy and get an invite, it's a good channel for finding people to run STFs who know what they're doing. Though you may be better going with PublicEliteSTF channel instead.
There's probably a few more I'm dubbed to that I can't remember right now.

Finally I have a suggestion. Brandon, can we get a chat interface added into the STO Gateway? That way, we could communicate when outside of the game without a third-party chat client.
MikeWard1701 (Special Envoy)

facebook twitter Steam STOwiki Raptr - feel free to follow/friend me : )
Career Officer
# 5
02-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeward1701 View Post
Finally I have a suggestion. Brandon, can we get a chat interface added into the STO Gateway? That way, we could communicate when outside of the game without a third-party chat client.
There are actually already TWO ways to do this:

Cryptic operates an XMPP/Jabber server that connects to the ingame chat system, and thus allows you to participate in global channels, as well as fleet channels and even private message "tells".

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?p=2706970

Also, several channels operate IRC "bots" that allow you to communicate back and forth between that channel and an IRC channel. Two that I'm aware of from that list are SSR and TrekRadio, both of whom have their IRC channel on the Coldfront IRC network.

A chat interface on the STO Gateway would be cool too, but unless and until that happens, you've already got options!