Rihannsu
To keep things short:

- No shadow options to select above medium, even though I'm normally playing high on Holodeck
- AA is off by default, even though I play 4x on Holodeck
- Soft Particles, SSAO, Depth of Field and Underwater View are turned off automatically as soon as you enable AA... It even says so in the tooltip. So it's either... or...
- Textures tend to load longer and until then everything is black

As much as patch notes such as "Addressed many of the graphics-related issues players have reported." sound interesting, it would seem that in the end you've made the game look and run worse. What's the reasoning behind that? I'd call it a bug if not for the sudden tooltip information...

Running Win XP, DX9, GeForce GTX 460 with 310.70 driver version, if that's important.

EDIT:
Additional observations:
- Bloom Quality goes to Low automatically as soon as you enable AA
- High quality shadows seem to be available only without AA. Turning on the AA makes them all pixelated.

What is this I don't even... Why? Just why? What was wrong until now? The game looks ugly now without any kind of AA, while it lacks many visual effects without the rest of the options...

EDIT2:
Updated to the latest nvidia drivers. No change - AA still disables many visual options and gives me the info that my GPU/Drivers don't support them. All that despite the fact that it all works fine on Holodeck.

EDIT3:
Worst thing is, I can't seem to force AA through nvidia control panel in STO... There goes my hope for a workaround, should this "feature" go live... *sigh*

It's clearly an issue with AA solely. I certainly hope this will get looked into, because I'm sure I won't be the only one to experience this drop in graphics quality if this actually goes live (and, sadly, it proably will...).

Last edited by suaveks; 02-09-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Ensign
# 2
02-09-2013, 01:57 PM
This started about a week ago on Holodeck for me. No idea why, I almost wonder if it's a problem with the gui like we have on the HUD options page.
Ensign
# 3
02-09-2013, 08:33 PM
I have this problem. I thought it is a driver, but it isn't.

FYI, My rig (sli mode) can handle STO on MAX/highest settings.

Now, STO graphic starts looking so ugly. I can't change graphics options to highest settings?!? No high bloom? No high shadow?? No 16xAA?? and more... why???

This problem happens in Holodeck, not tribble.

Why did cryptic change it?
Rihannsu
# 4
02-10-2013, 04:42 AM
That's strange, because everything works fine for me on Holodeck. At least for now... It's only the Tribble that's messed, and this started with the recent patch.

Screenshots to illustrate the issue:
Holodeck options - everything's fine
Default Tribble options - AA turned off
Tribble options with AA - the moment I turn AA on most effects go down and the tooltip states they're not available with my current GPU/Drivers.

I see absolutely no reason why this should be happening. I've got the latest drivers, rig that could handle such effects with ease, and the only thing I didn't try is reinstalling the game - assuming that would help in any way. Cryptic has changed something for whatever reason, perhaps when tweaking something in the game's engine, yet for some people it made things worse, not better.

Hope this will get looked into by the dev team...
Ensign
# 5
02-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Interesting... What version of driver? What kind of monitor? Mine is Asus VG278HE - I got a great deal on it and love it. After I switched an old monitor with that, everything changed. Graphic settings is locked. I can't stand ugly graphics. I decided to switch back to old monitor, and the problem is still there??? Is there a way to override the settings?
Career Officer
# 6
02-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Very interesting about Cryptic turning of AA by default because during their Tribble test weekend for season 7 and subsequent Holodeck release, I was getting low rez texture problems and didn't know why. And after submitting a ticket and posting my problem on the forum with no response or solution, I was able to deduce the problem which I posted in this thread:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...d.php?t=445381

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypineapple View Post
Well I finally figured out my low rez texture problem and it had to do with antialiasing. Once I disabled it in game, my video memory overload problem leading to a texture reduction ceased resulting in textures loading properly once again. I than forced AA in my nvidia control panel to remove the jaggies.

To reiterate, this was not a problem in S6 but I noticed it within the tribble server prior to the release of S7. It has remained a problem, at least for me and of course others within this thread, ever since.

To those wondering I am using two MSI nvidia GTX580 cards with 3GB of vram a piece using driver build 310.64.
I will check Tribble and verify my AA is still working through the nvidia control panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveks View Post

EDIT3:
Worst thing is, I can't seem to force AA through nvidia control panel in STO... There goes my hope for a workaround, should this "feature" go live... *sigh*

It's clearly an issue with AA solely. I certainly hope this will get looked into, because I'm sure I won't be the only one to experience this drop in graphics quality if this actually goes live (and, sadly, it proably will...).

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
Come Visit the 44th Fleet
Career Officer
# 7
02-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Ok in tribble, not only did they not fix the memory overload issues resulting in texture reduction due to running higher in game AA (4x/8x and 16x is now missing from the settings) but I can no longer force AA (16x CSAA) in the nvidia control panel. Using in game 2x AA works fine, as it doesn't reduce my textures due to memory overload, but only looks marginally better as opposed to not running AA.

#It'sJustaGameAndAFreeOneAtThat!
Come Visit the 44th Fleet
Career Officer
# 8
02-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Question: Are you guys using the Dx9 mode or Dx11 mode under trouble shooting > video card?

16x AA only shows up for Dx11 mode, where as Dx9 mode only allows to 8x AA ingame, as been implemented from the intro of Dx11

I can't reproduce the issue under Dx11 nor Dx9 on my system on TTS, I have gone through all the AA settings ingame.

I do see the AA settings visualy applied at each tier.

my settings are as follows with nvidia inspector for the global profle under driverset 313.96: http://i.imgur.com/EbXoukF.png
Click to visit Subspace-Radio
Twitter | Blog | Original Join Date: Dec 2007 | Gaming Setup | Raptr Profile | Gamer DNA
The opinions expressed in my posts are my own views and do not reflect on any other entity(s) or person(s) I may or may not represent at the time.
Rihannsu
# 9
02-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltypineapple View Post
Ok in tribble, not only did they not fix the memory overload issues resulting in texture reduction due to running higher in game AA (4x/8x and 16x is now missing from the settings) but I can no longer force AA (16x CSAA) in the nvidia control panel. Using in game 2x AA works fine, as it doesn't reduce my textures due to memory overload, but only looks marginally better as opposed to not running AA.
But I assume, from what you're saying, that enabling AA does not influence any of the Effects options for you, such as SSAO, Depth of Field, Soft Particles etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3xr34p3r View Post
Question: Are you guys using the Dx9 mode or Dx11 mode under trouble shooting > video card?
I'm running Win XP, so DX11 is simply not an option for me.

No idea what to make of this. Several people I know have said that they do not have such problems, even on Nvidia card. Still, this sudden issue is disturbing to say the least, especially since it'll probably go live as it is, ruining the game's graphics for me and perhaps many other people. It'll be either playing without AA at all, or without many other visual options. Strange thing that you can't even force AA through Nvidia CP anymore...