Commander
# 1 What's the Vulcan D'kyr like?
02-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Hello,
I'm looking for opinions of the Vulcan D'kyr science vessel. Is this a good vessel? Is it worth buying some time, or is it a waste of money?
Thanks.

If you like Foundry missions, try mine here!
Captain
# 2
02-11-2013, 06:53 PM
From what I've gathered: Like the free ships you get at Lvl40 but more Vulcany.
# 3
02-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Wow. I JUST started flying this ship again. I like it.
Functionally it is like a science oriented cruiser. A little slow but very sturdy, with a combination of high shields and good hull. Not all that good at DPS but with the sci abilities and the lt. cmr. engineer you can tank/heal very well. Also pretty good for control/disable builds. The pet provides a small heal over time which helps you survive even longer.

Plus you get a free shuttle and it looks cool.
Captain
# 4
02-11-2013, 11:11 PM
The irony: The visual design they used for the D'kyr is actually a Vulcan Command Cruiser... which essentially was their version of a Terran BattleCruiser from SC. Slow, but very tough, and LOTS of firepower, and a lot larger than the in-game version. Long story short: the ORIGINAL 22nd century design for that ship (the one from the series "Enterprise"), with 22nd century weapons, shields, hull, everything, would have been able to take on and defeat multiple Jem'Hadar Attack Ships from the 24th century, with their epic Dominion 24th century technology.

Really powerful TACTICAL ship. And now it's a science cruiser. LOL. Love Cryptic XD.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Captain
# 5
02-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
The irony: The visual design they used for the D'kyr is actually a Vulcan Command Cruiser... which essentially was their version of a Terran BattleCruiser from SC. Slow, but very tough, and LOTS of firepower, and a lot larger than the in-game version. Long story short: the ORIGINAL 22nd century design for that ship (the one from the series "Enterprise"), with 22nd century weapons, shields, hull, everything, would have been able to take on and defeat multiple Jem'Hadar Attack Ships from the 24th century, with their epic Dominion 24th century technology.

Really powerful TACTICAL ship. And now it's a science cruiser. LOL. Love Cryptic XD.
Didn't the Constitution-class U.S.S. Defiant easily destroy one of those ships?
Commander
# 6
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
My two cents?

Don't.

Don't get a D'Kyr until they decide to go back and knock the rust off the pre-lockbox ships.

The D'Kyr it's self isn't a horrible ship, but the pet is ... awkward at best. That's pretty much it's selling point. Anything else it does another ship does better. I'd suggest a Long Range Science Vessel Retrofit over it (or the Atrox if you just like carriers).

Edit: Word of warning about the Atrox. It ages less gracefully.

I've seen a total of two D'Kyrs in my time (not counting my own), and never for longer then a a single match. If that's any hint.

Last edited by resoundingenvoy; 02-12-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Captain
# 7
02-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thratch1 View Post
Didn't the Constitution-class U.S.S. Defiant easily destroy one of those ships?
That was an alternate reality/mirror universe. Vulcan tech was different. Muuuuch different. Also I don't think it destroyed one of the command cruisers, I think it got the support cruisers. Not 100% sure, going to have to watch that episode again.
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Career Officer
# 8
02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
Well, the Nebula was used for planetary bombardment in BOTF. Just saying.

Porthos is not amused.
Career Officer
# 9
02-12-2013, 12:55 AM
It's probably full of Vulcan zombies.

Porthos is not amused.
Republic Veteran
# 10
02-12-2013, 02:36 AM
It is sadly overshadowed by the other major players in the Science Ship world, namely the Retrofit and Fleet Intrepid, Wells and Vesta.