Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Closed Thread

Lieutenant
I could use collective wisdom on how to deal with tractor beams. Zooming along in cuiser *ha* and enemy ship gets close and wham see that green trail from borg cube to my ship. I hit polarize hull and evasive action and pull free if those skills are ready. I would like to get a better understanding of how to more effectively deal or in some cases apply tractor beams effectively.

1) Limited range - I believe tractor beams have a range of 5-6km. So keeping your distance could be effective .. never get too close for them to catch you!

2) Polarize hull - science boff - grants resistance to tractor beam grabs but it does not set you fully free (wording of power needs to be changed). You might gain some small movement but without massive output from engines your still moving at crawl. Evasive action and polarize hull have let me squirm out from many tractor beams but when I had three tractor beams stacked on me it only gave me minimum movement. (Would an engine battery or Auxiliary to Dampers help with dealing with tractor beams?)

3) Attack Pattern Omega - not tried it but in reading it allows escapes or defense against tractor beams.

Besides the above method and blowing up the tractor beamer .. are there any other ways of dealing with tractor beams? thanks in advance
Career Officer
# 2
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfistcoh View Post
Besides the above method and blowing up the tractor beamer .. are there any other ways of dealing with tractor beams? thanks in advance
The Anti-Matter Spread Console will cause the target to abort a Tractor Beam attack, upon a successful sensor jam...
Lieutenant
# 3
02-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchyotaku View Post
The Anti-Matter Spread Console will cause the target to abort a Tractor Beam attack, upon a successful sensor jam...

Does the anti-matter spread have a chance to miss or is auto-hit?
Rihannsu
# 4
02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfistcoh View Post
Does the anti-matter spread have a chance to miss or is auto-hit?
it's an AOE and hits every enemy target within 5 km.

I also use that Romulan rep cloaking power, Quantum Singularity Manipulation or whatever it is.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-12-2013, 08:48 PM
i find that attack pattern omega works best out of any power or ability that i've used for escaping tractor beams.

as for using the tractor beam against the enemy, it can definitely be useful. if you have a tractor beam doff on active space duty, and some points in the skill that affects tractor beam, you can drain a decent amount of the enemies shield power. what you do from there depends on your career. i'm tactical in a DPScort, so my attack goes like this: i activate cannon rapid fire and torpedo high yield, along with attack pattern alpha, attack pattern omega, tactical team, and a weapons battery, then activate the tractor beam and open up with all the cannons. this will take down the shields, then i hit em with the torpedos and cutting beam. then hit cannon scatter volley, torpedo spread, tactical team, and open up with everything all at once. you should also throw in whatever team buffs and resistance debuffs that you have whenever they're available. this attack turns any ship in a story mission to dust in like 20 seconds or less. in elite stf's, i can take down a cube by myself in a few minutes. its all about taking down their shield as quick as possible, then pounding the hell out of their hull while you're at max dps with powers and abilities.
Fleet: Stargate-Union
Pizza: Pepperoni
Kalek shel'tek!

"Do not make me look foolish by allowing yourself to be murdered" -Lord Yu
Captain
# 6
02-15-2013, 04:41 AM
Barrel rolls - They'll save your life
Head of PR - Ausmonauts

Captain
# 7
02-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Who says that a Borg tractor beam does not give damage (As it seems to do in some STF's) At the end of the day if you try and break a tractor beam you will get stress on your hull.

I personally use Polarise hull, APO and if none of them are available Envasive manuveurs seems to work ok allowing me to stay alive long enough to fight back once the the beam is gone
Ensign
# 8 Tractor beams
01-18-2014, 06:35 PM
I just reroute engine and weapons power to the shields and ride it out. Then I transfer most of that power to weapons and try to knock it out.
Captain
# 9
01-18-2014, 06:46 PM
I have noticed in STFs and a few other places whenever an NPC tractors me, if I use Eject Warp Plasma, the Borg will let go immediately most of the time.
On a mission to put the "Casual" back into "Casual Player"

The only gear any ship or Away Team really needs is a competent Captain.

Career Officer
# 10
02-12-2013, 12:52 PM
well edited because I was a dummy lol

The new Dominion power, attack pattern gamma is like an attack pattern omega too.

I am sure there are more ways but I cannot think of them atm. I am sure the PVP people know.

Last edited by vinru821; 02-13-2013 at 06:59 AM.
Closed Thread