Career Officer
# 1 Cooldowns
02-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Shared: The exact same CD effects all abiliites that share that CD. Activating any of the abilities activates the full CD routine for all abilities that share a CD. It's like sharing a popsicle. Something kids might do, but not many game designers. It basically is used to force a player to choose between one of two abilities.

System: Abilities that are on the same system CD cannot be active at the same time. Typically when one of the system abilities is active, all other system abilities go on CD for the duration of the active ability. Once the active ability is no longer active it will go on its normal CD, and the other system abilities become available. This is commonly used.

Global: When any ability is used ALL abilities that are on the Global CD go on a short CD before any of them can be activated again. This CD is always the shortest of the three, typically measured in units as small as half seconds. Some abilites may not be on the Global CD, and thus in games that use a Global (almost all of the majors) Off Global Abilites are very desirable.

STO does not use a Global CD. STO is designed around very fast activation or stacking of abilities. Globals are designed to inhibit this. Thus a Global is not included in STO

There's a reason why industries develop standards. Fighting that is baffling.

This can help you if you make any friends, or post on any other boards, so that people understand you. If you insist on using them incorrectly, I suggest that in person you do so while holding a drink. People may assume you're drunk and not....um....less well informed. If you're posting on the forums....use a lot of LOL! in your posts and leave it at that.

Have a nice day!
If I don't respond to posts on this forum don't be offended. I don't sub or follow any of them.
Captain
# 2
02-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Ok some questions before I do some editing. You really made me think here.

EPTS lasts 30 seconds, has a 45 second cd, starts a 30 second on a second copy, and a 15 on other EPTx. The 30 is shared and 15 would be system cd?

So I wrote that and I thought about it and looked at it and thought about it. And thought about it some more. ETPS doesn't have a 45 second cd, it has a 15 second cd, despite what tooltips say.

So a second copy is the system and the EPTx is the shared. Because other ETPx go into their full 15 second cd, which I haven't been thinking of as the full cd, because tooltips have made me think of the full 45 seconds as the cd, which it isn't, really. Or is it?

Tell me Uncle, what is the cooldown on EPTS, 45s or 15s? Is the time that the ability is active considered part of it?

Last edited by redricky; 02-18-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: missig lettrs
Captain
# 3
02-19-2013, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redricky View Post
Ok some questions before I do some editing. You really made me think here.

EPTS lasts 30 seconds, has a 45 second cd, starts a 30 second on a second copy, and a 15 on other EPTx. The 30 is shared and 15 would be system cd?

So I wrote that and I thought about it and looked at it and thought about it. And thought about it some more. ETPS doesn't have a 45 second cd, it has a 15 second cd, despite what tooltips say.

So a second copy is the system and the EPTx is the shared. Because other ETPx go into their full 15 second cd, which I haven't been thinking of as the full cd, because tooltips have made me think of the full 45 seconds as the cd, which it isn't, really. Or is it?

Tell me Uncle, what is the cooldown on EPTS, 45s or 15s? Is the time that the ability is active considered part of it?
EPtS
Cooldown: 45 seconds (max training)
System Cooldown: 15 seconds
Shared Cooldown: 30 seconds

Minor nitpick, most boff abilities do become effected by a global cooldown just like weapons firing does of a tenth of a second or so. Their are a handful or abilities that ignore this though I forget which ones. That is why a keybind with several abilities on it does not work properly with several abilities and one press, but some things can be bound together and both will activate with a single press. I still think the limit is two though but not 100% positive on that.

*edit addon*
Weapon boost skills have no global such as CRF, and TS.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781

Last edited by bareel; 02-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Captain
# 4
02-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bareel View Post
EPtS
Cooldown: 45 seconds (max training)
System Cooldown: 15 seconds
Shared Cooldown: 30 seconds

Minor nitpick, most boff abilities do become effected by a global cooldown just like weapons firing does of a tenth of a second or so. Their are a handful or abilities that ignore this though I forget which ones. That is why a keybind with several abilities on it does not work properly with several abilities and one press, but some things can be bound together and both will activate with a single press. I still think the limit is two though but not 100% positive on that.

*edit addon*
Weapon boost skills have no global such as CRF, and TS.
So here's the thing, EPTS is active for 30 seconds, does it make sense to call the cd 45 seconds as opposed to 15? Because if you call it 45 seconds then 1 A2B/3 tech activation will shave 13.5 seconds off (this is how it works currently). If you called it 15 then 1 activation would reduce it by 4.5 seconds. I'm probably shooting myself in the foot to draw attention to this because my two favorite ships right now are A2B builds, but there it is. If a cd is supposed to be the amount of time that it's unavailable, that's 15 seconds, and if the max you're supposed to be able to remove per activation is 30%...
Captain
# 5
02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
The ship system 'emergency power' has a 15 second cooldown.

The ability Emergency power to X has a 45 second cooldown.

This is STO, their is no need to over think things. Most times when people over think the mechanics it leads to the wrong results.
Get yer Fleet Gear here!
Military 5 / Engineering 4 / Science 4
Starbase 5 / Embassy 3 / Mine 3 / Spire 3
Diplomacy 3 / Recruit 3 / Trade 3 / Development 3 / Research 3 / Operations 3
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post16435781