Lt. Commander
Just talked to my ISP which is Sattelite. They told me i wouldn't be able to download the whole thing it would take several days. Thats because of their Fair act policy if we go over that we do not get on the internet for 24 hrs. So Can we order a disc of this download stuff and the patch so we can play?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 08:12 PM
and yes my internet sucks!!!
Lt. Commander
wow i never thought this question would get so much attention. I don't appriciate being talked down to like the cryptic person kinda did I took offense by that i'm not stupid and i did buy the blasted game but i did buy it for 2 reasons the game itself and to play it early. It's not my fault cryptic dropped the ball by over estimating the public love for star trek. In fact i'm a senior member to Everquest to and have been there since launch and have never been talked to like that from SONY. I'm wondering if i should cancel my copy till i get an appology since it is my hard earned money i am giving them. Yes my internet sucks but i have don't everything everone has told me. Go to a place with better internet. Did that and the download is still at 0. It's not the other places ISP I know we checked. Plus my computer is at a computer repair shop using their business cable internet which they get almost 300.00 kbps download speed. I'm not at all impressed at attitude or service let alone customer service. Most Cryptic people have been nice about my questions. I just think the one that talked bad towards this post needs a nap or doesn't feel good and needs to go home and rest. the stress is too much for them at the moment. The way I look at this is it may be a free look into the game early but I have paid for services not rendering and i would like some respect since it's not my fault. And I'm not taking the phrase it's only money lightly. so when cryptic wants to take things differently great i'll be waiting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm sorry I find this super funny. Like very very funny. I'm sorry that you guys have bad internet-but how is that Cryptics fault? I've been playing Betas since Everquest, this is pretty smooth. Sure the file is big and its a pain-sure a dvd would be nice, but if you would have asked and paypal(ed) me money for a DVD I would have happily copied my zipped file for you to enjoy-and I'm sure there are many here that would. I understand some people have net that takes a long time to dowload or can't download because of bandwith issues-this is why you have friends or family that DONT have this issue just download the zip FOR you and burn over. If you have no family or friends that can do that-then you just have to wait. Not missing much anyway, we play for 20mins get D/C'd then have to come back in.

If you don't like that Cyrpic "lied" to you about being able to play beta (which they didn't they can't control your computer or download speed), cancel your pre-order and wait for it. Feb 2nd isn't that far away.

Edit: There is more than one place to DL it. Dont like the Downloader? Use Torrent. Dont like Torrent? Use Filefront. I was dl at 700kb/s from Filefront when I broke down and paid 5bucks for the membership. I was DL at over 100kb/s with the torrent.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 06:12 PM
Quote:
I'm sorry that you guys have bad internet-but how is that Cryptics fault?
The fact that I'm having way more trouble downloading the beta client than I have downloading anything else indicates to me that it's probably not my internet connection that's the problem. I can't speak for the OP, though in some countries, download caps are increasingly common, and to me, it makes sense to consider that if you're a company trying to market a game internationally. But that's just me.

But yes, Cryptic is as pure and blameless as the baby Jesus, and all of the issues people are having are a mass hallucination. Carry on.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
The fact that I'm having way more trouble downloading the beta client than I have downloading anything else indicates to me that it's probably not my internet connection that's the problem. I can't speak for the OP, though in some countries, download caps are increasingly common, and to me, it makes sense to consider that if you're a company trying to market a game internationally. But that's just me.

But yes, Cryptic is as pure and blameless as the baby Jesus, and all of the issues people are having are a mass hallucination. Carry on.
Download the Torrent, or Download the file from Filefront. Problem solved.
Remember people who dont even have a key are downloading the file just to have it.

Never said Cryptic was blameless-I just siad the fact that some people have caps on internet speed or usage isn't Cryptics fault.

Also wait for it.... here it comes..... This is a...... BETA!!!! :-p
Every MMO I've played in the Beta Stage (WoW, STO, EQ1/2, COH) Has had issues in beta stage, I'm actually suprised I've gotten to play at all today.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawron
I'm sorry I find this super funny. Like very very funny....

There is more than one place to DL it. Dont like the Downloader? Use Torrent. Dont like Torrent? Use Filefront. I was dl at 700kb/s from Filefront when I broke down and paid 5bucks for the membership. I was DL at over 100kb/s with the torrent.
Apparently we have a late-comer to the massive threads being generated about this. We have several different threads about different ways to d/l the client. The point, once again, is that Crypic didn't anticipate this WHILE promoting the preorder. Perhaps you should read the threads before posting?
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainVox View Post
Apparently we have a late-comer to the massive threads being generated about this. We have several different threads about different ways to d/l the client. The point, once again, is that Crypic didn't anticipate this WHILE promoting the preorder. Perhaps you should read the threads before posting?
If there are several threads about this issue-why post at all? Just to complain? Hypocrite much?

Again as I said before-if people would be willing to pay for shipping and the dvd, I'm sure we can have some people willing to do it. I would be one of them-I have no issue with people who see an issue and work towards a solution, I just think its funny that we have so much nerd rage about something that Cryptic has nothing to do with. I'm just guessing you guys have never played an MMO before, try raiding 40 man Naxx when severs would just lock up for 10mins then come back with you all dead. Try falling through Molton Core and see every other raid falling around you. Try Downloading a 1gb content patch only to have it patched the next day because people can't use it. Not being able to DL a file from ONE (when there are many) sorces isn't the end of the world-if you are upset over the principle cancel your pre-order and teach Cryptic a lesson! LOL
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Not as far as I know of, however, do you have any libraries near you? They usually provide free Wi-fi access, if you have a laptop, that is.. Otherwise you're pretty much out of luck I think, unless theres a player that you trust that is willing to send you a copy on a DVD or something.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
I was asking the same thing yesterday, and from what I can gather, there's no option to buy a CD with the download on it and have it sent to you. It drives me nuts that so few companies that run MMOs offer this as an option for customers; I had similar problems when I tried to get started playing WoW- glacial download speeds, huge patch files, overloaded download servers... and when I asked tech support at Blizzard about getting a CD, they admitted that it was sometimes an option, but that they wouldn't allow people to request it. Apparently, the decision to send out a CD with the necessary patches to, y'know, play the game you paid for was solely the domain of tech support. After a few fantasies about sending my monthly payment to Blizzard one penny at a time, since that's about how fast I was getting the stuff necessary to play their game, I ended up canceling my subscription.

I'm a huge Trek fan, and while I understand that this is the beta, so problems are to be expected, it concerns me that Cryptic didn't anticipate this level of popularity and take some steps to at least make the downloading of the game a bit easier. I really, really hope that this isn't a sign of things to come, and I'm not going to be impressed if I end up with a game that's virtually unplayable because I can't get gigs worth of patches because the servers are swamped. I preordered this largely because of access to the beta, and now it's looking like I'll be shafted on that because Cryptic couldn't be better prepared for the massive interest this game has generated or even offer something as simple as a CD for people to order in lieu of wrestling with these downloads. That would have mitigated some of the strain on the servers and make it easier for people to get their hands on the beta.