Lt. Commander
# 1 Tv or monitor
01-11-2010, 08:19 PM
I bought a gaming rig and have a crate monitor right now.

Should I but a 23 inch monitor and play this or should I get a 32 in mount tav.

My range for a tav is 350 and my range for the monitor is 230. (US $)
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-11-2010, 08:21 PM
I don't think you can get a decent TV for that price in comparison to a good monitor. I'd stick with the monitor.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitup View Post
I bought a gaming rig and have a crate monitor right now.

Should I but a 23 inch monitor and play this or should I get a 32 in mount tav.

My range for a tav is 350 and my range for the monitor is 230. (US $)
save your money and get a 40" flat screen and wall mount... Looks O so Nice...

I had a 24" widescreen monitor, and went to TV ... Love it
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Monitor hand down. An actual monitor will have a higher resolution than any TV. I know there are a lot of people out there thinking they are real slick using a 32" or larger HD set at 1080p/// but what do you think would give the better picture? 1920x1080 rez or 1920x1200+ rez?
Given the same viewing distance you are going to have an infinitely sharper image on that 23" monitor than you would on a 32" HD set. The onyl difference is size.

Find an image online and look at it. Then resize it larger and look at it. Notice how the original looks better.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalEVE View Post
Monitor hand down. An actual monitor will have a higher resolution than any TV. I know there are a lot of people out there thinking they are real slick using a 32" or larger HD set at 1080p/// but what do you think would give the better picture? 1920x1080 rez or 1920x1200+ rez?
Given the same viewing distance you are going to have an infinitely sharper image on that 23" monitor than you would on a 32" HD set. The onyl difference is size.

Find an image online and look at it. Then resize it larger and look at it. Notice how the original looks better.
I just thought that tv would be better because I have seen cryptic play it on one.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowitup View Post
I just thought that tv would be better because I have seen cryptic play it on one.
It likely will look very good... but not really as good as it could.
It's another one of those "quantity over quality" issues that most seem to have these days. Cryptic could be using an HD set for a number of reasons... most likely being for demonstration. It's easier to show a group of people something using a larger display than a small one. And as a larger group would have to "stand back" so everyone could see what was going on you would lose a lot of the benefit of having a resolution higher than 1920x1080.
(viewing distance article: http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter )
Bigger is only better if the increased size is matched by increased resolution.
If that 32" set could do 2560x1600 or 3840x2400 then it would be the best option. Plus, at those price ranges you are talking I doubt the TV would be very good (I'm guess it's a lower to mid quality LCD TV). For $230 you should be able to get a decent TFT monitor. Not the most color accurate or anything, but low lag time.

I use two $1200 NEC LCD2490WUXi here (H-IPS panel). They have a lot of lag compared to TFT panel monitors (for gaming anyway), but a lot of the work I do requires perfect color accuracy. My TV on the other hand (65" Mitsubishi WD65837) was only $1800. So here I have a 24" monitor and a 65" TV (nearly 3x the size of my PC monitors) that are near the same price. The difference is the TV, for all it's size, is limited to 1920x1080.

Ultimately it IS your decision. These are only my opinions and they are NOT de facto word on the subject. I know I thought about using an HD monitor and even a projector for gaming before, but decided against it because while either would have been nice for gaming, neither would have fit my other PC usage requirements.
I just tend to be of the school of thought that each technology has it's place. For gaming (or general PC use not requiring perfect color accuracy), TFT LCD monitor all the way.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 06:03 AM
What's it with the TV thingy..? HD is nice, but not the best there is IMO...

Compare the regular 22" HD monitor with that 40" HD TV mentioned before... Okay,,, the 40" is a lot bigger than the 22" monitor, but the resolution is the same.

IMO stick with the monitor, or try to find a monitor ar 40". That'll get a better resolution than you'd ever get for your TV

* sticks with his own old 19"CRT on 1600x1200@75hz *
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
Bah.. go hardcore and old school.

Sony Trinitron FW900 24inch WideScreen {22.5viewable} TrueFlat CRT.

I am kidding but hey.. just to chime in on the debate over size vs quality..

This was the same monitor used, and I got it from the same place, for the CG work in 300 the movie. The best color purity and excellent dot pitch. 1920x1200 at 90Hz, blueray looks like a dream. Some expensive converters needed.. but hey this thing is both my graphic editing and gaming monitor. Switching resolutions for anything is a snap.

Sure, some have nice 24inch or 30 inch monitors.. but its quality. The main thing about LCD monitors is what you wanna give up, or how much you will spend. Input lag, bleed out colors, true blacks, etc.

A TV can be great, but I can tell you nothing still beats a solid monitor. Whether its LCD.. or my CRT dinosuar that I think is just plain wonderful, side from the weight. Bigger isnt always better. The amount you will spend on an excellent TV, not just a bigger one that is soso quality, vs spending that on a monitor, will give you very noticable differences in quality.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 06:13 AM
I'm on a Samsung T260 monitor 25.5" and although my 32" Centrum LCD-TV was very good for gaming, it would be a pain to sit close to it and use it as a monitor. The T260 uses a TN-panel but I must say it exceeded my expectations by a mile for being a TN-panel

I'd say go for a decent monitor that's at least 24" (or maybe a 23" led).. depending on your budget

edit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...01281&Tpk=t260 That's the T260HD with a built-in tuner. I have the one without tuner. Excellent monitor. Mine has two USB ports instead of dual HDMI, so I can hide away a usb soundcard for teamspeak/ventrilo/skype usage