Captain
Just an idea like but to avoid the whole "too many currencies" issue again like before, well ok we still will have it imo but, have you thought about combining omega and romulan marks into just "reputation marks" which can be used on any rep system. As i hear it, the rep system will get at least 3 more rep systems in and i can just see the ui for your assets being even more limited where it shows omega and rom marks amounts amongst other things.

Also a unified rep marks system would do away with the whole you must do this for this rep or that rep or the other rep system. Think of it like the whole merits or whatever they were before dilithium. Too many currencies didnt work then, so im figuring too many diff rep marks will not work now.

You already have ppl complaining about lack of romulan marks, if you add more rep systems you will find even more ppl complaining because they are being forced to do yet more content that only rewards certain marks which will mean for the player they cant get marks for one or the other rep systems. Maybe its by design you dont want all rep systems to be done at the same time but is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Btw got flu and just got up so if i didnt make too much sense i apologize.

Last edited by cptskeeteruk; 02-20-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I prefer the idea of a converter for Reputation and Fleet Marks, either as Reputation/Fleet projects or as DOFF assignments like the CXP converter. We can already convert Reputation Marks into Dilithium, so this feels like a natural step.

Maybe this is better posted as its own Proposal thread, but whatever, I'll just dump it here first.

It doesn't even have to be a 1:1 conversion to be useful. Even if it's 5 Romulan Marks to 1 Omega Mark or vice-versa, that would help me a lot.

For Fleets, the same converter for Rep Marks to Fleet Marks would help everyone, small and large. For solo players, being able to exchange Fleet Marks to Rep Marks would be a nice bonus for folks who are never going to use those Fleet Marks anyway. If a cynical appeal to the "bottom line" is needed: more Marks opening up Reputation store options, more chances for Dilithium spending, more potential for Zen purchases for currency trading.

Sooner or later, players pushing hard into Reputations or even Fleets will find themselves with leftover resources just sitting there in their Assets tab doing nothing. Being able to convert Marks puts those resources to good use, and in the long run, might keep people from vacating zones like New Romulus and Defera once they got all the toys they want from those two Rep stores.

If there needs to be some kind of in-universe explanation... I dunno, maybe the New Romulus people have been talking to the Omega people and they all really like how helpful you've been, spreading cheer throughout the universe. We're all in this together, if you've read the Book of G'Kar lately.
---
Relax.
Captain
# 3
02-20-2013, 04:57 AM
Considering one of the original stated purposes of dilithium was to get rid of ten different types of currencies, there shouldn't even be different kinds of marks.

Convert all mark costs to reasonable dilithium equivalents. Remove daily refinement cap. Problem solved, players can now play what they like and make progress where they like without being pigeonholed.
Career Officer
# 4
02-20-2013, 05:18 AM
the problem is, they want to introduce more reputation systems over time, and they want us to "play" (grind) through it every time.

if we can use the Romulan marks that we got from months of Eppoh Tagging when the next one comes... then we will have no reason to play the new content.

condensing all the marks WILL happen ... one day ...but only AFTER they are done with producing more Reputation Systems and after the Inventory Currencies tab has a list as long as the old one.

So... give it a year or two, maybe 3.

...or they might scrap the whole currency approach again and revamp all of the economy.

Cryptic loves remaking working systems, just for the heck of it, so even if people would love it and it would work perfect they would revamp it at some point anyway.

Of course in the conversion you will loose 75% of your purchasing power as well and they wouldn't tell you or let the cat out of the bag until 2 days before the patch. You know, like the last 2 times.

Thats just how they roll.
Empire Veteran
# 5
02-20-2013, 05:28 AM
If I put on my business hat and look at this from Cryptic's point of view, I would never ever combine the marks. It defeats the entire purpose of them, since people would find the easiest ones to earn and just convert.

And the old currencies were not revamped just because there were too many of them, but because they were pointless from the point of view of the new revenue model.

Likewise, the refining cap won't be raised (at least not significantly.)
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Lieutenant
# 6
02-20-2013, 07:00 AM
No. It's reputation. The Romulans don't care that you've helped Omega. I'd rather see a more in depth system (something akin to the old elder scrolls rep system) wherein working for on faction has consequences (positive or negative) with the other factions. This would require a much more robust system with multiple factions, however.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-21-2013, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
if we can use the Romulan marks that we got from months of Eppoh Tagging when the next one comes... then we will have no reason to play the new content.

There is one surefire method to get gamers to play new content. It's not a method Cryptic tries very often, but it has always worked with other games.

Make the new content fun to play!

I know this kind of thinking is radical, subversive and even dangerous, but I think it's worth a try.
Starfleet Veteran
# 8
02-21-2013, 10:14 AM
I demand that all currencies be reduced to Quatloos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjeyWNolnXA
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 02-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Empire Veteran
# 9
02-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzout View Post
There is one surefire method to get gamers to play new content. It's not a method Cryptic tries very often, but it has always worked with other games.

Make the new content fun to play!

I know this kind of thinking is radical, subversive and even dangerous, but I think it's worth a try.
People will always play the most profitable content at some point, just to get their stuff. If there's only one type of marks many nerfs will be required, including on STF rewards. And gods know it will bring a lot of rants on the forums. Cryptic doesn't need to open this Pandora's box again.

Really, new content was cool in season 7. And the current design choice has also a lot of advantages, they can balance finely the rewards and be generous in specific cases (STFs, fleet missions, eppohs). I don't want to see a massive nerf across the board just to appease a group of people who don't like having 7 lines instead of 1 in their asset tab.
Ensign
# 10
02-20-2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
Considering one of the original stated purposes of dilithium was to get rid of ten different types of currencies, there shouldn't even be different kinds of marks.

Convert all mark costs to reasonable dilithium equivalents. Remove daily refinement cap. Problem solved, players can now play what they like and make progress where they like without being pigeonholed.
I distinctly remember this as well. We now have almost as many currencies again as the move to Dillithium was supposed to remove!
Closed Thread