Empire Veteran
All this glory hounding about military starship captains..

What about the work a day civilian spacers out there? Small tramps starships, commercial haulers out to make an e-cred? Doing a little paid for exploration for resources?

You do realize that the bulk of general exploration that goes on in the galaxy is done not by military vessles, but my privatly owned starships looking to open new commercial markets?

Oversized warp capable shuttles, Tramp frieghters (like the one at the beginniing of ST-III)
Mail packets (ship federation Express! When it absolutly, positivly has to get there overnight!) Large bulk carriers, Passenger liners and transports. Colony ships.

Military starships make up only a fraction of the starships travelling the galaxy... These are the people that have the real adventures, and often times find those new worlds that the federation and klingon diplomatic corp ends up sending contact envoys to.

Negociating contracts, hostile takeovers, aggressive marketting! It can be just as exciting as a military carrer. Learning to make do with less.

Recall the civilan hauler in Enterprise that had to deal with defending themselves against pirates.

Consider the possibility of CIVILANS as a third faction in STO. Enrich the universe with those other stories that don't involve those sexy over gunned and EXPENSIVE warships of Starfleet, the KDF, or the other space navies. Play as a Maqui perhapes..

There ARE other posibilities of play in the STO universe!

Khemaraa sends
Release 8.5 "STO The Next Generation"

Let the happy old bug stomping commence, along with refinement toward enhancing each factions play experience!
Lieutenant
# 2
02-21-2013, 11:20 AM
I don't think this would work out. The only real thing I could see them being used for is overflowing the game with e-creds and RP.

You are suggesting a faction with weak ships, Weak everything, Just for the sake of them being there.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
02-21-2013, 11:22 AM
meh they could add a civilian rep or something for those who want to play as one of those dumb colonists that hickks and Co have to save in more ways than one.
Rihannsu
# 4
02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Why not? The devs could just place the KDF within the Federation by re-instating the treaty, crank out the Romulan Star Empire and then add in the civilian faction!

Cryptic, make it so!
Commander
# 5
02-21-2013, 11:27 AM
That would be fun, even more fun if we had a more open map on worlds like Vulcan,new Romulus, Bajor, earth, along with the many civilian outposts we see in show and the movies...the Moon perhaps? How about Cardasia? so much untapped potential but perhaps we should let them focus on getting the bugs and nerfs un-nerfed
Captain
# 6
02-21-2013, 11:32 AM
How about we get EVE, slap Star Trek in front of it and crack on? Sounds like a great idea to me.
Rihannsu
# 7
02-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc10b View Post
How about we get EVE, slap Star Trek in front of it and crack on? Sounds like a great idea to me.
EvE'ers would NOT like having their PvP neutered by Cryptic!
Captain
# 8
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
While I am not totally against a Civilian/non-aligned/neutral faction (I do think it would be not as much fun as you think, but that is another conversation) I don't know that I would like it for the next faction.

Too Many people like the idea of playing as the Romulan Star Empire, or Cardassian Union, or Dominion. I think the resources needed to create a new faction should go to those before you expand into the "non-military" factions
Captain
# 9
02-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Agreed, they should probably finish the KDF off (one way or the other) before introducing another new faction.
Maybe that's what they will do in May, (it would make it "bigger than a season") Who knows?
Career Officer
# 10
02-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I would play within such a thing as a civilian mini-faction. Which would function as integrated within all other fully-developed factions. One example where this might be fun are the Independent Merchants. Instead of the NPC merchant ships seen in Sector Space currently, those merchants could be the player's instead. A roving, mini-exchange, if you will? As the goods would only be what that player has crafted at Memory Alpha or otherwise scavenged in some way.

Edited for further thought:

These merchant's goods would still be available through the exchange. With a tag indicating that you could buy the goods at a % discount if you seek out the Merchant's trading vessel in sector space.
STO Forum:
Where the Human Adventure is Just Beginning!

Where you can also catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.
Give the Art Team time to fix the K't'inga << Link
Exploring STO Since Pavement.

Last edited by psiameese; 02-21-2013 at 11:51 AM.