This is the first time I've actually used a torrent, and I'm having some issues with port forwarding that is murdering my download speeds (sometimes getting < 1 kb/s with estimated times of 1 year+)
My machine is set up for a static IP address on the LAN.
I completely disabled Windows firewall, and am not using any other software firewall.
I configured my router for multiple different ports, and matched them up with the uTorrent client. None of the ports worked; I always have the red exclamation at the bottom of the client, which warns that a firewall/router is blocking traffic. I've used the PFPortChecker from portforward.com, as well as the one built into uTorrent, and both tell me that the ports failed to connect.
I used a website (link posted by another poster on these forums) to test my torrent ports connection, and it said that it couldn't detect my ISP limiting any of them.
I'm completely at a loss as to what to do, I'm getting a maximum DL rate of about 40-45 kb/s (~150 kb/s is about the norm for regular downloads for me). I've tweaked the upload speeds in uTorrent, trying to set them fairly low, but nothing helps; it still says that literally every single port I try can't connect.
If you have your software firewall disabled thats a non-issue. Are you sure you only have 1 firewall installed via software, some ppls accidently have mutliples running and don't realize it.
The other side of the equation is the router ...make sure your forwarding these ports to the right client machine ..doublecheck the IP. Make sure your forwarding TCP and UDP to be safe. Most of the torrents use a "master" port and "slaves" the issue your describing comes from the "master" being messed up.
Re-verify all your settings.
Lastly, your ISP can block and shape your traffic. Very common with some carriers and uni's to limit bandwidth this way.
I actually don't have any software firewall installed at all, outside of the Windows one (which I verified is turned off, and even if it wasn't, I did add the exception for uTorrent earlier).
I just double checked all my settings in the router, and everything there is correct - including both TCP and UDP being allowed. I also checked the port in uTorrent and it matches up with the router exactly, but still says it isn't open.
My speed fluctuates wildly sometimes, I'll see it hang around 45 kb/s for a while, then dip down to less than 10 (sometimes even less than 1). I'm honestly quite confused as to what the problem could be.
Edit: I should also add that I tried disconnecting from the router, and connecting my machine directly to the DSL modem, and had the exact same issues.
Well if you dont have a firewall in software, and you don't have one in hardware (router) then its your ISPs fault.
If your up for it you can take your router outta the mix (do a little rewiring quick) to take one link outta the puzzle. Or you can specify your computer as a DMZ. If you do this don't leave it that way, it effectively unblocks ALL ports to your machine...but for testing purposes its ok.
If you do either of those solutions and its a no - go, then 99% your ISPs fault and all you can do is call em and complain, or try a direct download link.
Just tried setting my machine to DMZ, and it still said the port didn't appear to be open.
My direct downloads (Fileplanet and the official Cryptic non-torrent one) were horrendously slow earlier, so maybe it's just something with my ISP; but the utter inability to open ANY port via the router seems strange. And when I used the link provided by another poster earlier, it ran an ~8 minute test and said it didn't appear that my ISP was limiting anything (Windstream is my DSL provider, if anyone is familiar with them).
I'm just...confused really. My surfing speed doesn't seem particularly slow, even while the torrent is running (cranking up the upload rate changes that, but I still get roughly the same speeds for DL then, if not lower). My inner Star Trek nerd is sad
You set the DMZ in your router btw. Often easier for testing purposes to just disconnect your router and wire your modem(dsl) right to you machine. Then you know that one potentional firewall pt is removed.
It is odd you passed the port tests you ran, but I am not sure what ports were being sniffed either. Something might have happened to your bit torrent application as well. You could stop the application and kill it, then restart it. It'll resume where it left off after it verifies the data quick, see what happens then.