Captain
Thank you for reading my thread, I am a newbie - started playing STO for less than a month although I played Star Trek Command about a decade ago. This mean I am fairly new about many things and want to solicit feedback on my Vesta build.

Character Class: Tactical

Type of Ship: Multi-Mission Reconnaissance Explorer: Vesta Class

Link to Skill Planner Profile:
http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skil...oardoDaVinci_0

Power Settings:
W: 25
S: 50
E: 50
A: 75

Deflector: Aegis Graviton Deflector Array
Shields: Aegis Covariant Shield Array (Shield Strength at about 9400 each facing)
Impulse Engine: Aegis Hyper-Impulse Engines

Devices:
Quantum/Chroniton/Transphasic Torpedo Platforms
Shield Battery X 20
Subspace Field Modulator

Fore Weapon Slots:
Aux Phaser Dual Heavy Cannons Mk XII [Acc]x2 [Dmg]

Aft Weapon Slots:
Transphasic Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [CrtH] [Dmgx2] (Very Rare)

Engineering Consoles:
RCS Accelerator Mk XI (Very Rare)
Neutronium Alloy Mk XI (Rare)

Science Consoles:

Sympathetic Fermion Transceiver
Quantum Field Focus Controller

Antimatter Spread
Field Generator Mk XI (Rare)

Tactical Consoles:

Multidimensional Wave-Function Analysis Module
Transphasic Compressor Mk XI (Very Rare)

Phaser Relay Mk XI (Rare)
Tachyonkinetic Converter

Hangar:
Advanced Peregrine Fighters (Very Rare)
Captain
# 2
02-23-2013, 03:03 AM
I'm just going to give some quick opinions, because I have to get back to work here. Other people might give more thorough feedback

First, console layout:
Engineering Consoles:
Neutronium Alloy Mk XI (Rare) x2

The Vesta has decent turn rate, you maxed the impulse thrusters skill, you'll be better off with more resists.

Science Consoles:
Sympathetic Fermion Transceiver
Quantum Field Focus Controller
Tachyonkinetic Converter
Multidimensional Wave-Function Analysis Module

AMS is questionably useful in PvE, and a bit frowned upon in PvP. If you're going to be running the full Vesta console set, this is the best place to put them, in terms of value of the other consoles. Sure, more shield hit points is nice, but getting things destroyed so they don't down your shields is nicer. This thing'll have plenty of shields regardless

Tactical Consoles:
Phaser Relay Mk XI (Rare) x4

Almost always it provides underwhelming results to use anything but consoles boosting your energy weapon type, here. Particularly in the Vesta, as these consoles also boost your Quantum Phaser lance weapon.

Weapon power, I'd say max Aux power, considering Aux fuels both your skills and weapons.
I'd suggest:
Engine power boosts turn, but doesn't do you a lot of favors in PvE, generally. You can always have a second preset with higher Engine power for quick getaways.

Aft weapons, maybe the Breen Cluster Torpedo from the Breen Episodes? And potentially a beam array for your inbuilt subsytem targeting. Maybe add a turret, for extra proc chances and bit of forward damage? If you're doing it right, you won't be facing away from an enemy frequently anyway

Your skills build has some interesting quarks, but for a tac in a Vesta: fair enough. Only thing that is a pity is that you only have 1 point in Warp Core Efficiency. That thing gives bonus power at low energy levels. I generally have the subsystems set at 25% power running at 51% power because of it. (Yes, that effectively makes for 105, 72, 51, 51, roughly, on an efficient captain with efficient boffs and the Borg console)

You boff skills have some issues, for me. Mostly the liberal use of - Team skills, which share a cooldown. Viral Matrix can be useful in PvP, but has limited use in PvE, for me. Coupled with your damage output from cannon spread, I'd suggest Gravity Well 3 and Attack Pattern Beta instead of Delta: grav well a group of enemies, Sensor Scan, cannon spread with Beta, and you'll seriously hurt and debuff them, with one enemy exploding hurting the rest.

Something like this, is what I'd suggest:
TT1, AP:B1
TT1, CSV1, CSV2
HE1
PH1 (or TB1, or even a second HE1), TSS2, FBP2, GW3
EPtS1, RSP1

Normally I'd suggest replacing Feedback Pulse, but on a tac vesta, it's got potential. With all tac boosts and max aux power (maybe even adding AP:Omega instead of CSV2), you can get it to reflect way more damage back at your enemy than you're receiving.

Hmpf, looks like I got carried away anyway. Ah well, my 2 ec, for what it's worth

Last edited by twam; 02-23-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 3
02-23-2013, 03:15 AM
Is this build for pvp, pve, or both?

Whats your strategy? How do you intend to employ your weapons and powers?

Wheer are you in the rep system? Wat passives did you choose?

Do you have access to a fleet starbase? What level is it if you do?
Actualy reading things pefore posting will make you look smarter than yelling loudly. Reading comprehension is aparently a lost art.

Not everything you see on the internet is true - Abriham Lincoln