Lt. Commander
# 1 Torrent being slow, need help
01-12-2010, 06:57 AM
I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry it is going so slow for everyone, it is such a drag so have to wait...

Do you think it is worth using the torrent compared to FP? I have never downloaded torrent before so do I need some software?? Rar files? I'm not sure what goes into it. thanks

Hope everyhing works out,
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 07:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJady View Post
I have the most current version of Bittorrent, the correct port for bittorrent is opened on the router to the correct computer, and I have never identified any times when my ISP has been throttling or otherwise interfering with any other torrents yet im still only getting about 20-40 kb/s.

My usual speed is 250-300. is there a specific port i should be using, not just whatever bittorrent is set to at the moment?
Torrents sometimes start slow and pick up speed as they go. Before I went to bed last night I was barely getting 50kbs. Now I'm at 274 kbs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 07:10 AM
its bouncing all over the palce from 50kb/s to 500kb/s
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
It vaires for me between 2 kb/s and 280.

but thats still way better than fileplanet.

We're talking I could be in beta by late afternoon my time instead of late afternoon tomorrow as I would be with the FP download.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Thats a lot faster than what I had fp, how do I get a torrent? or just click the download and onzip it?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 07:20 AM
Quick 'n dirty Steps to torrenting ST:O

1; Google "utorrent" and download the very small client (only a few seconds of dl time)

2; install uTorrent, run it and proceed with the intital set up screen.
This consits of;
*2.1 running a speedtest on a website. Don't be doing anything else online whilst running the test.
Take note of your UPLOAD speed.
*2.2 set the uTorrent UPLOAD speed to just under what you saw in the test.

3; go to the ST:O download page, right click on the torrent link and hit 'copy URL'

4; In uTorrent hit file -> 'Add torrent from URL'

5; paste in the previously copied URL and go.

6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
6; be PATIENT! It takes time to get up steam and will rise and fall alot.
I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exactor_mortis View Post
I want to echo this last bit. I just checked and my torrent was hovering between 285 and 305.

Now if I wanted to be cruel, I'd tell you to stay off the internet while it's downloading, that it was choking your bandwidth, but I won't go there.
Im on two different internets for posting and for torrenting.

Sneaky yes?

shssshshssh dont tell