Ensign
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 4
# 1 Hive Onslaught Instant Kill?
02-25-2013, 03:42 PM
So I started playing again recently and I've been easing my way back into Omega missions. The question I have is do the Borg have an instant kill aside from the Plasma Bolt? The reason I ask is that I have, on occasion, died seemingly at random while on this mission. I'll be cruising along, shields usually in the blue, then suddenly I'm told I need to respawn. The really odd part is that it's never been while the game is laggy, which made me wonder if there's another thing that can do it. Is there an out of bounds area, perhaps? I'm curious, because it happened to me at least 5 times, making me wonder if it's a gameplay feature rather than a bug.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,001
# 2
02-25-2013, 03:51 PM
As far as I'm aware, there's 3 possibilities for that:

1) Invisible high yield torpedoes. An issue that the devs just can't seem to get rid of completely, though it seems to be much, much better than it was.

2) Regular torpedo spread. These little borg torps aren't easily spotted, but hit for much more per torp than most of our torps could do.

3) Borg energy weapons - Sometimes these crit/hit for some insane amounts, out of the blue. I'm not sure if it's a cannon or a beam array, but gates in particular seem to one-shot my weaker-hulled vessels (read B'rel). I image some other capital borg units can do it.
Cryptic Studios Team
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,060
# 3
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
As far as I'm aware, there's 3 possibilities for that:

1) Invisible high yield torpedoes. An issue that the devs just can't seem to get rid of completely, though it seems to be much, much better than it was.
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.

Anyway, invisible NON-High Yield Torpedoes are a bane to us as Designers, as well. And we're working to reduce their frequency, and potency. We're currently working on a change that should have a noticable impact on the Borg's ability to one-shot (or come close).

That said, high Kinetic resistance is always, always, always a good idea. If you have an ability that increases it, you should be running it as frequently as possible when fighting the Borg.


Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
2) Regular torpedo spread. These little borg torps aren't easily spotted, but hit for much more per torp than most of our torps could do.
This ability certainly suffers from FX-draw limitations, and can sometimes be very difficult to see in the midst of combat, possibly even invisible. We're recently been going through our higher-rank ships (like Borg Cubes, Tac Cubes, Transwarp Gates, etc) and reducing their Spread ranks from 3 down to 2 or 1 to reduce the raw damage and number of projectiles.


Quote:
Originally Posted by twam View Post
3) Borg energy weapons - Sometimes these crit/hit for some insane amounts, out of the blue. I'm not sure if it's a cannon or a beam array, but gates in particular seem to one-shot my weaker-hulled vessels (read B'rel). I image some other capital borg units can do it.
Off the top of my head, the only Energy weapons that should be capable of dealing massive damage in a single hit are those used by the Unimatrix Ships on Into The Hive. They have a power mechanic that is meant to keep players engaging both of them simultaneously - if you move out of range of either of them, they will Lance you which can frequently be a one-hit-kill. So just stay between them, and they can't use that ability.

The Queen and the Transwarp Gate (in Infected) are also capable of hitting very hard, but they shouldn't be reaching one-shot capacity. If anyone experiences this, please post a screenshot of your combat log.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremy Randall
Cryptic - Systems Design
"Play smart!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
Kurland here...
Commander
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 273
# 4
02-26-2013, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.
Are you aware that's it's possible to make the 3 Plasma Torps from the Romulan plasma torpedo launcher "disappear"? It happens at certain viewing angles, but bascially when they are overlapping.

I haven't tried it when the screen isn't busy but have definately had it during ISE.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,465
# 5
02-26-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
Anyway, invisible NON-High Yield Torpedoes are a bane to us as Designers, as well. And we're working to reduce their frequency, and potency. We're currently working on a change that should have a noticable impact on the Borg's ability to one-shot (or come close).
Just to be clear, are we talking strictly a fix for the VFX issue, or the issue that ESTF plain-jane plasma torpedoes hit for absurd amounts? Both?
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,118
# 6
02-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Isn't the best way to stop the invisible torpedos from one hitting you just to eliminate their criticals? Seems easy enough.

The spreads though are just crazy
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,384
# 7
02-26-2013, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
if it's the fight with the unimatrix ships, they fire huge lances at anyone who doesn't stay close to the queen

if it's the fight with the tactical cubes, you probably just got an unlucky torpedo hit
I mostly fight in Cure and mostly get it while fighting the cubes, but I see it from the Borg Bird of Prey and Borg Warships too. They launch a Heavy Plasma torp it will kill you. Mostly I gtfo, sometimes I move 20k away and still die, but not from the torpedo that I left in the dust its from something else.

Also whoever said hit is calculated on fire, you can cloak to evade the energy bolt, so that's wrong. The energy bolt will come up to you and kind of wander around lost, will not hit.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,202
# 8
02-26-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
The "invisible" torpedoes are never High Yield. High Yield torpedo FX are on the Costume-draw budget, while standard Torpedo FX are on the FX budget. Guess which one caps out first? In fact, I've been led to believe that it's nearly impossible to cap out the Costume-draw budget.

Anyway, invisible NON-High Yield Torpedoes are a bane to us as Designers, as well. And we're working to reduce their frequency, and potency. We're currently working on a change that should have a noticable impact on the Borg's ability to one-shot (or come close).

That said, high Kinetic resistance is always, always, always a good idea. If you have an ability that increases it, you should be running it as frequently as possible when fighting the Borg.
What would you do to balance this nerf? Borg ships are already pathetic. They are actually the weakest NPCs in game, including at level 54/elite. If you play with the foundry, they will always lose a fight, no matter which opponent they fight.

In addition, getting rid of high yield torpedoes is extremely easy, especially with fire at will or an aceton assimilator (the perect "fire and forget" defense in stfs), so it makes the challenge... unchallenging. So easily overcomed.

So, do you plan to give Borg ships some more abilities if you remove some kinetic damage? Or is it a simple nerf?
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 97
# 9
02-27-2013, 07:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogene0 View Post
What would you do to balance this nerf? Borg ships are already pathetic. They are actually the weakest NPCs in game, including at level 54/elite. If you play with the foundry, they will always lose a fight, no matter which opponent they fight.

In addition, getting rid of high yield torpedoes is extremely easy, especially with fire at will or an aceton assimilator (the perect "fire and forget" defense in stfs), so it makes the challenge... unchallenging. So easily overcomed.

So, do you plan to give Borg ships some more abilities if you remove some kinetic damage? Or is it a simple nerf?
Oh come on...

You must realize you're in the VAST minority by claiming that the Borg are "too easy" or "pathetic", right?

Besides, Borticus is only talking about one-shots here, which I think even the elitists like yourself can claim are a freakin' joke.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,118
# 10
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
On elite they are a joke, there is no team work or anything else an elite should require.
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 PM.