Lt. Commander
Hi everyone,

Here are just a few things you should know as we move on in the Open Beta:

There are numerous places who are handing out keys to people who have not pre-ordered Star Trek Online, among them are Ten Ton Hammer, and FilePlanet. More are coming online even as we speak, and we'll be updating our Open Beta Page with more places as we get them.

For now, we have set a level cap in-game of 16, and we are limiting the Open Beta to the first 3 Sector Blocks of content, and PvP content.

We are aware some of you are experiencing frequent disconnects, and difficulties logging into the game. Please remember that Open Beta is still a Beta Test, and we are testing our servers under the strain you guys can put on it. We know this can be frustrating, but please hang in there. With your help, we'll be able to get all the kinks out of the system before launch day!

Additionally, please makes sure to check out our Release Notes page. So that you can be kept up to date on the changes we make to the game as Open Beta Continues.

We'll be updating this post with more known issues as you all uncover them and report them to us. So please keep an eye on the Release Notes page, and check back often for updates!

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I just purchased STO deluxe edition from atari, I have entered my code and want to download the client, It sends me to the download page where it gives me the pre order and non pre order options. The 3 preorder options all want to make me pay a 2nd time , the non pre order want to make me register and join them at a cost .... whats up with this ? where exactly can I get the download I already paid for ?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selectone
I just purchased STO deluxe edition from atari, I have entered my code and want to download the client, It sends me to the download page where it gives me the pre order and non pre order options. The 3 preorder options all want to make me pay a 2nd time , the non pre order want to make me register and join them at a cost .... whats up with this ? where exactly can I get the download I already paid for ?
You can download the game here:

http://www.startrekonline.com/download

On top of our partners we all have a link to a torrent, and the Star Trek Online Downloader.

Thank you,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 01:06 PM
StormShade as unofficial winner of the cutest Avatar here.. You are both wise and helpful.. as a very long time IGN member it took 5 minutes tops to get the beta key .. it was very simple to register a full version key for Champions on -line using this tested system of yours..

The pre order [order] can confuse a eager eye.. hitting that prominent macro is easy.. takes a few tries and all our new friends here should be fine.. its take awhile for a D/l of the client anyway so just sit down with a
Coffee of Red Bull and go thru the links provided..

The 1-2-3 process and link from FilePlanet to STO beta was swift and worked 1st time.. it takes longer for new members to register but for existing reg forum/Cryptic accounts its as good as anything on-line ive seen.

--------d/L status 63%------------
Jolan Tru
prosper as long as you live
and enjoy your journey of discovery space fans
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selectone
Scroll down that same page, and you'll se a heading:

Download with Star Trek Online Downloader - which has a link

and further down:

Download via BitTorrent

with another link.
Lt. Commander
Torrent doesnt work...been Downloading for 14 hours on lotro server and have 37%, never should have purchased a retail copy at the store (gamestop) this is a full blown failure to launch, I for one am ****ed....I should have been playing this game at 10 pst, I paid $80 for the chance.......cryptic you blew it, DL for this should have been going for 3 days prior to 1/12 at least......hope all that got it are having fun.....but I'm ****ed, maybe I'll see the 29th early play but I doubt it.....again happy for all those that can actually try it
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Wow, I guess that proves your point that a lot of people don't understand the word BETA and that the game isn't released for another 2 weeks. <sigh>
Lt. Commander
# 8 Much looked forward too
01-12-2010, 05:48 PM
Purchase and download went smooth via Steam, gj guys on that end.

Gameplay however is still very frustrating, if I can manage to log on. My issues are with instances... I keep getting trapped in instances either from the next sector/map being full or because of spontaneous insta-boots from server. Since the server seems to be directing me to certain maps, why can't it find a spot for me instead of just booting?
Lt. Commander
Is there an MD5SUM for the distributed file? I did not see one when I downloaded the file from Atomic Gamer (I think that is the name) and I probably have a corrupted download. I think I downloaded for 19.5 hrs only to have as a result a corrupted file.

Lt. Commander
I ordered the version from Atari last week, which included my beta key (which I was able to immediately activate). Then Monday night I decided to try to find the beta. After poking around a bit, I ended up on Fileplanet where you DO need to register but you DON'T need to pay to get access to the downloads. After attempting to install it without the FP client, I went ahead and installed it. I was in the queue for a couple hours before going to bed and still hadn't started downloading, but when I woke up, the entire download was complete. After a quick patch I was able to log in just fine (once the servers opened up).

Not sure why everyone else is having such problems. It seemed pretty straight forward to me.