Lt. Commander
# 1 STO under Wine/Linux/Mac
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
Disclaimer: Bioware don't officially support running it under these operating systems or conditions. Don't expect developer help. Don't go nagging when it won't run, or won't run right. This is just a place for users to share experiences, not a place to complain about support or lack thereof.

So, I'm an avid gamer. I've gotten a number of games running fine under Wine (Everything Source-based, Dragon Age, WoW, LotRO). I'm keen on playing STO, but before I lay down money I want to know that I can get it running.

So far, all I can get is the launcher updating and logging in. Once logged in, the "buttons" (app:2,3,4 links) don't seem to do anything. What I assume is the news pane never loads, the drop down box is empty, and it seems like nothing happens.

I've checked with Wireshark, the app is POST'ing the login data, and getting a 200 back, so that's working fine.

It might be something to do with Javascript not running properly on my end. I'm getting [code]0[18bf88]: file http://startrekonline.com/launcher_login, line1: ReferenceError: focus_password is not defined[/code]
focus_password is a Javascript function defined in http://startrekonline.com/themes/sta...js/launcher.js but I can also see from the wireshark cap that it's not being fetched. It's also this JS file that seems to have a decent hunk of content that runs on loading, so I'm guessing this is my current issue.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Of note, the login form isn't actually a form, it is intercepted by the launcher code, so a POST of that data will do nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
The launcher uses MS's Internet Explorer for a lot of functions. Luckily, it seems that you might not even need to touch the launcher if you can get the game patched. If the patch works, you can exit the launcher and run the GameClient.exe file directly, as the launcher just passes your login information along to that program, which does the real game login. The only uses of the launcher are patching and displaying shorter versions of the release notes. Unless it's patch day, I doubt I'll ever bother with the pointless extra step of running the launcher.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-12-2010, 04:24 PM
@coderanger
Actually, yeah that makes sense. I was wondering how that came about (the POST data is quite different to what I type) but if I think about, the 'action="app:4"' should've given it away.

@pliney
Sorry, when i said updating, I meant the launcher itself is being updated. The client is not being updated. However, a lot of IE functionality does actually work. For example, Steam works fine, and it's internal browser is "meant" to be IE but is actually the Gecko engine. So support might not be too hard.

Anyway, I'm now pretty confident that the current issue is a JavaScript in Wine issue. I double checked my wireshark logs, and the javascript file is not even being downloaded. I'm not sure why, testing now.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Launcher/Patcher running fine with IE7 installation in wine.
Game itself does not launch (crash)

Wine 1.1.36 x86_32
WinXP
DX9 August '09 (winetricks)
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Although I do run Ubuntu (both for leasure and for school), I really don't know how to tweek wine. Any information you can provide to help get STO to run in linux would be appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0pi View Post
Launcher/Patcher running fine with IE7 installation in wine.
Game itself does not launch (crash)

Wine 1.1.36 x86_32
WinXP
DX9 August '09 (winetricks)
If you run "winecfg" and check the libraries tab, do you have an override for "mshtml", and if so, what is it?

Edit: Fixed my Javascript issue. I gave up on trying to get native Wine/Gecko working, and just moved to IE6. Currently patching, will keep this updated. Although with the downtime, might be a while.
Lt. Commander
I'm posting this here and under the other thread for the Wineskin solution to running STO.

I'm playing on a 10d trial. I know its not supported on Mac, which is why I havent bought the game.

Further, I won't buy a subscription or the game until the Mac is supported. No angst, no anger here.

I'm just voting with my dollars.

The game so far has been wonderful. I could go on about how much I enjoy it, but it would take a while.

However, despite Wineskin .. I wont pay for a game where I am automatically not supported .. and have to keep paying.

Some might say " Your a mac user" - too bad, no one will miss you. Maybe. However, a lot of my demographic ( Mac users ) have better hardware ( in general ), less support issues, and more importantly more money to spend on things I want.

So, developers, suits, and Cryptic in general : I'd buy the game and a lifetime subscription - if I was supported on a mac. Since I'm not, I'll play out 7 more days of the trial, delete the game and spend my money on a game where I am supported.

Great job on the game. It looks like " the fans" were listened to on this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someenigma View Post
Disclaimer: Bioware don't officially support running it under these operating systems or conditions. Don't expect developer help. Don't go nagging when it won't run, or won't run right. This is just a place for users to share experiences, not a place to complain about support or lack thereof.
Bioware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlehawk
Something Cryptic should consider, there are nearly 24k views on this topic.

Make a MAC client!

While I can run this under whine I am disappointed with the graphics and the performance hit it takes to do so. Sadly I bought this game after reading they didn't support MAC on game opening day but had assumed it was in the works, after all it is one of the fastest pc markets growing atm. Love the game but between the gameplay and the fact I have to dual boot each time I want to optimally play this I fear I'll never see this addition.
This is the sacrifice you make for using a Mac. Sorry to say. They just don't have the market share to cause most game companies to be interested in spending the money to port their games. The ROI just isn't good enough.
Lt. Commander
# 10
03-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarinSolare
Bioware?
Never noticed that one myself when I started reading this thread. Perhaps I've had this fun with their games too and it slipped my mind as well. It's quite true though, they won't give us much support.
Closed Thread