Captain
# 1 "thats not a warship!"?
03-09-2013, 01:58 PM
i was under the impression, that all starfleet ships designed post fed kerb stomp 359 where designed so they could be called on to fight such threats as needed, making them all warships of one kind & capability or another?
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Captain
# 2
03-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
i was under the impression, that all starfleet ships designed post fed kerb stomp 359 where designed so they could be called on to fight such threats as needed, making them all warships of one kind & capability or another?
They always were. Wolf 359 just made Starfleet wonder if they'd been taking it seriously enough.

Exploration suggestions thread - give it a read
Captain
# 3
03-09-2013, 02:57 PM
was pretty much thinking that myself, (though i like to blame brain weevil infiltraitors) i cant think or a single starkleet ship that didnt come with a military classification.
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Captain
# 4
03-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmanx View Post
They always were. Wolf 359 just made Starfleet wonder if they'd been taking it seriously enough.
That's mostly correct. While all starfleet ships were designed to able to do alright in a fight, very few were designed primarily for combat. After the first battles with the Borg, and the subsequent Dominion threat appeared, that changed.

The Defiant, Akira, Steamrunner, Norway, Sovereign and Saber classes were envisioned as the core of an "Anti-Borg Taskforce" whose sole mission was to combat the Borg threat. Once the Dominion War was looming, production of those classes skyrocketed in comparison to construction of just about everything else in the Starfleet inventory.

After the end of the War the pendulum swung back towards research and exploration primary ships (like the Vesta and Luna classes for example), but the concept of frontline warships didn't have anywhere near the taboo that it used to. The Prometheus class is (as far as I'm aware) the only post-war example of starfleet warship design to appear on-screen, but there would have been others.

Last edited by stirling191; 03-09-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Career Officer
# 5
03-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Pre-Wolf 359 was an era of complacency and self-satisfaction.
The ships could be capable of fighting, sure, but more often than not they were designed with this as an afterthrought, with most of their internal space devoted to exploration and families/civilian infrastructure.

They began to wake up after 359, but oddly it wasn't until the Dominion War where Starfleet finally stopped pretending that outer space is a safe place to bring your spouse and children and started properly outfitting ships for warfare.
The Defiant, Sovereign and Prometheus all display the first steps to a proper military instead of a flotilla of cruise liners with guns.
Captain
# 6
03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
this is the whole point I'm going to in the Galaxy Thread. this concept.
Captain
# 7
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
The ships could be capable of fighting, sure, but more often than not they were designed with this as an afterthrought, with most of their internal space devoted to exploration and families/civilian infrastructure.

They began to wake up after 359, but oddly it wasn't until the Dominion War where Starfleet finally stopped pretending that outer space is a safe place to bring your spouse and children and started properly outfitting ships for warfare.
The Defiant, Sovereign and Prometheus all display the first steps to a proper military instead of a flotilla of cruise liners with guns.
complacent hubris from the fed? say it aint so.
i think people are confusing moders naval practice with star travel though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admiralq1732 View Post
this is the whole point I'm going to in the Galaxy Thread. this concept.
i think the ships would be better though of as "assault", "technical" and "auxilliary",
with equal basic capability dependant on their size
but their abilities dictating how they go about their business
and,
Captain
# 8
03-09-2013, 07:58 PM
The Gal is a multi functional vessel and the Ambassador family and the Galaxy family were exploration oriented. the Borg and the Dominion cause Starfleet to reevaluate this stance.
Captain
# 9
03-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post

Agreed. To clarify, it's not to say that the Galaxy-class ships before Wolf 359 were not the apex of Starfleet tactical systems at the time, in fact they were, but their focus was not on warfare.

Once Wolf 359 and the Dominion War hit, Starfleet realized that ships that could be lost at any moment were not the best place to have a family. The reduced crew space and needs likely allowed for expansion of ship's abilities to further enhance defensive and offensive systems within the ship.

stardestroyer001, VA Explorers Fury | Email me for a Pro-Galaxy sig!
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More! | My Forum Gripes
Foundry: A new series coming soon! | PvP: PvP Boot Camp, Notebook Project Almost Done!