Ensign
# 1 Andorian 3-pack worth it?
03-09-2013, 03:46 PM
So, putting more time into STO lately I've bought some ZEN. Wondering if the Andorian ships are worth the 5k ZEN.

I saw a few of them at release, but not nearly as many now. I know they're squishy, but I'm a Tactical captain so if I'm going to throw money at something this seems like the best bet.

Still running my Breen ship and still very happy with it, but the Andorian ships have gotten my attention. Seems like the wing cannon platforms are pretty crap, but the other two consoles seem nice enough.

Anyone bought the 3-pack and have some useful feedback for me?

Thanks.
Ensign
# 2
03-09-2013, 03:59 PM
The three pack is generally worth it for all the vessels just for the console synergy. This one though is debatable because of the charge time for the laser (front facing your target for that long can be dangerous) and that the wing fighters/deployable vessels DPS contribution is questionable and hard to measure.

As a side note the andorian vessels are not nearly as squishy as some people think. In the right hands they are more like adamantium cannons than glass cannons. I think they're actually best for engineering captains.
Commander
# 3
03-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Yes its worth it.

2 sec charge on the phaser overload is really not a big deal and it hits harder then the javalin as well as it is a aoe hit vs a single target. Ive had 130 to 150k crits off it and its a 2km aoe. With a sci ship debuffing ive had 180k crits with it.

The drones are just added dps, with the 3 set they crf and csv and do about the same if not more then a turret does.

Though i would use the eng or the sci ship. The tac's boff layout is kinda bad and you will want the extra boffs for much needed defense and healing skills.
Ensign
# 4
03-09-2013, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelshando View Post
Yes its worth it.

2 sec charge on the phaser overload is really not a big deal
I was under the impression it was 4 seconds. Two seconds is much more manageable.
Commander
# 5
03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
Patch notes....

they were beefed up in damage, lowered the charge time to 2 sec, no longer trigger a 15 cool down on other cannon ablitys, drones health and shields were buffed 25% and also shoot faster.
Ensign
# 6
03-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Patch notes....

they were beefed up in damage, lowered the charge time to 2 sec, no longer trigger a 15 cool down on other cannon ablitys, drones health and shields were buffed 25% and also shoot faster.
Yeah I hesitated buying them because I'd figured there would be a patch...seems a bit more useful after the patch.

Will probably pull the trigger on it tomorrow; thanks for the replies everyone.
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-09-2013, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Yes its worth it.

2 sec charge on the phaser overload is really not a big deal and it hits harder then the javalin as well as it is a aoe hit vs a single target. Ive had 130 to 150k crits off it and its a 2km aoe. With a sci ship debuffing ive had 180k crits with it.

The drones are just added dps, with the 3 set they crf and csv and do about the same if not more then a turret does.

Though i would use the eng or the sci ship. The tac's boff layout is kinda bad and you will want the extra boffs for much needed defense and healing skills.
Unless things have changed there were people complaining about the wing cannons doing less damage than a single turret.
Commander
# 8
03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
Unless things have changed there were people complaining about the wing cannons doing less damage than a single turret.
again patch notes... the ship was pretty buggy on release and the drones were not fireing when they should of been, instead they only fired when the main ships wing cannons fired and only in the 45 degree arc.. now they fire on there own and more offten and will track targets 360 degrees around the ship.
Empire Veteran
# 9
03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
They are tons of fun in PvE, and I have seen some very effective PvP - just not from me.
Career Officer
# 10
03-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lianthelia View Post
More specifically, the issue was that the wing cannons reported their damage exactly the same way as some of your ships cannons, so it ACT wasn't reporting it accurately.