Captain
# 1 Lego Bird of Prey.
03-10-2013, 06:33 AM
http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/24408#

Someone linked this on Reddit, thought I'd share it here. If it gets enough support, Lego may actually put it into production (depending if they can get the rights etc).
Career Officer
Career Officer
# 3
03-10-2013, 06:46 AM
I remember playing with the 'regular' lego as a kid and making variations of starships, etc... Believe it or not I actually came up with a design that would later be seen in Star Trek Voyager. No, I don't mean that I designed an intrepid class starship. I mean I actually had the same design idea with regards to the nacelles and in particular how they moved upwards and downwards when going to warp, etc... You can imaginemy surprise when years later I saw Voyager...imagine if I had the hindsight to patent said design!

As for Lego making Star Trek, believe it or not they did do something back in the late 1980's. At The Bay in downtown Montreal there was a full sized replica of the U.S.S. Enterprise in a glass case. It was roughly the size of a pedal car, maybe smaller and was used to promote the toy line celebrating Star Trek's anniversary I think. I dunno if this was a once off, whether this was just an exhibition of sorts, or whatever but it was the coolest thing I think I probably had ever seen in the Lego universe.

Anyways, given that Star Wars has their own line don't be surprised if the new Trek films don't spawn a new generation of Trek lego.
"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward." - Rocky Balboa (2006)
Captain
# 4
03-10-2013, 06:52 AM
There's lego sets for SWTOR player ships, so Trek is actually behind Wars on this aspect.

A B'rel set and JJ's Constituition-class for the movie, and a STO Odyssey-class set please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Comm. Pion
What should I wish upon the endless universe;
To be able to smile and forgive everything;
That's right, if we light up the dream in our hearts without averting our eyes;
We should be able to walk whatever tomorrow comes...

I am V. Adm. Kha Yuung, and I approve of this message.
Starfleet Veteran
# 5
03-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugspatteredjack View Post
I remember playing with the 'regular' lego as a kid and making variations of starships, etc... Believe it or not I actually came up with a design that would later be seen in Star Trek Voyager. No, I don't mean that I designed an intrepid class starship. I mean I actually had the same design idea with regards to the nacelles and in particular how they moved upwards and downwards when going to warp, etc... You can imaginemy surprise when years later I saw Voyager...imagine if I had the hindsight to patent said design!
Yeah, well I came up with the idea as a kid for a mobile holographic emitter well before one showed up on Voyager. Mine was actually inspired by those armbands the TNG crew wore in Timescape. (Of course mine was made out of an armband and an oversized toy TNG communicator.)

@greendragoon
Career Officer
# 6
03-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Lego has the license for both Marvel and DC comics characters, doesn't it? Maybe there's hope...
Community Moderator
# 7
03-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Until after the next Trek movie comes out, I can't imagine there being a wide-enough market for Lego/Kre-O/Mega-Blox Star Trek sets. Even then, it's not looking much like a kiddie-fare movie so it's even less likely.

(I know adults do buy and build these things, yes, but they don't market them to adults...)

But if there was a market, somebody would find a way to make it happen.

Lego already has it's own line of space opera themed sets and they still make new Star Wars legos year after year. The Star Wars sets are hugely popular, and no marketer in his right mind would do anything that would result in the discontinuation of that line. Certainly nobody is going to yank the license for any reason short of a serious threat to the profit margin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Trek. But in this area, the franchise is no threat to Star Wars merchandising at present. My sons have Star Wars Legos, and Star Wars Imaginext. The closest thing they've ever seen to a Star Trek toy is a plastic model of the Enterprise.

They simply do not market Star Trek to the kids, while Star Wars has marketed to the kids almost since day one. Star Wars has the lightsabers, the vehicles, the robots, and the weird aliens.

All that said, that B'rel is a work of art.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Career Officer
# 8
03-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegeek View Post
Until after the next Trek movie comes out, I can't imagine there being a wide-enough market for Lego/Kre-O/Mega-Blox Star Trek sets. Even then, it's not looking much like a kiddie-fare movie so it's even less likely.

(I know adults do buy and build these things, yes, but they don't market them to adults...)

Lego already has it's own line of space opera themed sets and they still make new Star Wars legos year after year. The Star Wars sets are hugely popular, and no marketer in his right mind would do anything that would result in the discontinuation of that line. Certainly nobody is going to yank the license for any reason short of a serious threat to the profit margin.

Don't get me wrong, I love Star Trek. But in this area, the franchise is no threat to Star Wars merchandising at present. My sons have Star Wars Legos, and Star Wars Imaginext. The closest thing they've ever seen to a Star Trek toy is a plastic model of the Enterprise.

They simply do not market Star Trek to the kids, while Star Wars has marketed to the kids almost since day one. Star Wars has the lightsabers, the vehicles, the robots, and the weird aliens.

Lego's Technic line is largely an adult line (or at the least, impasssioned teenage line). The low quantity of Technic sets shows that it's not a money printers, but at least makes some small profit. I think Star Trek sets would in the same league.

However, the whole Star Trek vs Star Wars thing is stupid. If that's really what's preventing the license from being acquired, neither the owners of Star Wars nor LEGO Group know that neither is in the same market. I like Star Wars, but I only buy the ship sets (and even then, only if they're good or have unique/rare pieces).
Starfleet Veteran
# 9
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Quote:

Well get your kids some Art Asylum Trek

Proof that we ALL being MINDCONTROLLED!!! (Possibly 1984 style) Click here to find out more!
Captain
# 10
03-12-2013, 03:48 AM
Quote:

Lego's recent Batman range would possibly disagree, especially the Arkham Asylum set, as would the Architecture sets

AFAIK CCP are also still in negotiations with Lego about this Rifter, and EvE's a LONG way from a kids' game.