Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 749
They just added a new reputation that is only leveled via a token sold in their "Cartel Packs" (SWTOR LockBox). They claim the item can be sold on the GTN (Exchange), but the credit limit enforced on non-subs (200K Free, 350K Preferred) will cement this as a "Pay2Win" reputation, a dangerous precedent that shows EA is trying to make Western-Style Free2Play the mainstay.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,582
# 2
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by burstdragon323 View Post
They just added a new reputation that is only leveled via a token sold in their "Cartel Packs" (SWTOR LockBox). They claim the item can be sold on the GTN (Exchange), but the credit limit enforced on non-subs (200K Free, 350K Preferred) will cement this as a "Pay2Win" reputation, a dangerous precedent that shows EA is trying to make Western-Style Free2Play the mainstay.
EA/BioWare has the worst F2P model in existence atm. Hell, even SOE is backing away from some of its more restrictive F2P policies of late. All this shows is how clueless EA/BioWare is with regard to the F2P market; and the only thing the addition will do is drive more players away from teh disaster that multi-million dollar fiasco that is SWToR.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9,664
# 3
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
It's tradable Lobi Crystals. Okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivenneanthony View Post
Get your facts straight about Star Trek. It was not a money making scheme. It was one person vision / idea.

CBS turned it into a making making scheme during the original movies.
-vivenneanthony 2014
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,582
# 4
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
It's tradable Lobi Crystals. Okay.
Not really - in STO, you get Lobi from using master keys (which one can do with in game earnable currency (EC, Dilithium) as well as with buying Zen straight up with cash - IE - you have a choice, and while ultimately someone pays real money, those who don't want to have other options - to open Lockboxes.

The ONLY way to get this new SWToR currency is via SWToR Cartel Coins (which can't be earned by SWToR gameplay) - you either subcribe for a stipend - or buy Cartel Coins with real cash.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 117
# 5
03-12-2013, 04:35 PM
SWTOR is dead. It is just that neither the publisher nor mass media have realized it yet. Sad thing is that in its current form, it won't be resuscitable, but if kept in a carbonite freeze, may morph into the new SW setting when the movie comes out in 2015.

Games have been on life support longer than that... I'm sure EA will have another iteration of space combat that may finally move beyond the rails by then.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,309
# 6
03-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticarmsman View Post
Not really - in STO, you get Lobi from using master keys (which one can do with in game earnable currency (EC, Dilithium) as well as with buying Zen straight up with cash - IE - you have a choice, and while ultimately someone pays real money, those who don't want to have other options - to open Lockboxes.

The ONLY way to get this new SWToR currency is via SWToR Cartel Coins (which can't be earned by SWToR gameplay) - you either subcribe for a stipend - or buy Cartel Coins with real cash.
But, and you knew there had to be a but , someone is paying for the Keys and putting them on the Exchange - and that person is using real money or Stipend to do so.

In SWTOR someone can use real money or Stipend and put the Tokens on their Exchange, which you can then use your in-game currency to purchase it. So, ultimately, they are the same thing: someone using real money to convert it to game money.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,180
# 7
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
It is EA games.
They make PWE look very very awesome by comparison, so what did we expect?

All we can do is be happy EA does not have STO.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,582
# 8
03-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
But, and you knew there had to be a but , someone is paying for the Keys and putting them on the Exchange - and that person is using real money or Stipend to do so.

In SWTOR someone can use real money or Stipend and put the Tokens on their Exchange, which you can then use your in-game currency to purchase it. So, ultimately, they are the same thing: someone using real money to convert it to game money.
Except there's an element of their new Rep system that's still bound to a character and available ONLY via Cartel Coins. And yes, while it's true STO Lobi are character bound; their are multiple ways to get Master Keys using STO in game currency - thus, while it is true that in both systems SOMEONE at some point paid real cash; at least in STO, the option is still available to get anything this game offers without paying a cent, as long as someone paid real cash at some point.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,561
# 9
03-13-2013, 02:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
It's tradable Lobi Crystals. Okay.
that! PWE is the one that invented it...EA just made it slightly worst. However in my opinion SWTOR is more a subscrition based MMO and a free to play RPG...you are so limited in swtor, even as a one time subscriber, that if you want to play the game in multiplayer you need to subscribe. But frankly for me it is not worth a subscription, i'd rather go back to WOW if i wanted to pay subscription.
Go pro or go home
Rihannsu
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 275
# 10
03-22-2013, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
It's tradable Lobi Crystals. Okay.
My thinking as well.... A better deal then we have methinks; sadly enough....

Join the preeminent Romulan community now!

Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan
(member #124)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:30 AM.