Lt. Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 203
# 1 Size Comparison
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I noticed this at DS9 today, although I'm not sure why I didn't notice it sooner because I used to frequent DS9 quite often, but here it is.

Sovereign/DS9 size comparison

Here is a couple of shots from the shows

Enterprise D docking at DS9

Defiant docking at DS9

Here is a size comparison chart of Federation ships

Comparison chart

The last chart shows the size difference between the Defiant and Sovereign classes. The photo from in-game shows my Sovereign easily able to fit into one of the docking bays on the outside ring. Looking at the stills you can see that the Defiant just fits into the dock on the outside ring, and the Enterprise D is too large to use the outside ring so it has to dock at the end of the arms extending from the outside ring. Look again at the size chart, and you can see that the Sovereign is far larger than the Defiant, and slightly larger than the Galaxy.

I took some other shots to compare several other ships in STO to my Sovereign, and they all look fairly accurate, but DS9 is far too large.

My question to the developers is this: Is this intentional? Is it something having to do with the game mechanics as to why DS9 is so oversized?

My question to the community: Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone noticed any other size discrepencies in STO?
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,220
# 2
03-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm19delta View Post
My question to the community: Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone noticed any other size discrepencies in STO?
Yes, there have been many threads about size scales
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,789
# 3
03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Virtually all of STO's size discrepancies are intentional, either for playability or aesthetic purposes.

DS9 is big because it's a hub and big hubs are more impressive. The Dominion Dreadnaught is too small because its true size would be ludicrous for a player ship. Most of the game's Escorts, Fed-side at any rate, are slightly larger than they ought to be for, and shuttle are gargantuan because if they were accurate, they'd be specks on the screen next your Odyssey.

Then there's the Defiant which is a clusterfrak of biblical proportions regarding its... proportions.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,100
# 4
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh lordy. These are my favorite! Let's begin shall we?

1. DS9 is about 5 times it's actual size.

2. Spacedock is too small. Canonically it can contain 8 Galaxy Class sized ships. The Galaxy Class cannot fit through the doors.

3. K-7 is FIFTY times its actual size! It should be smaller than a Galaxy Class.

4. Every shuttle is too big. Supposedly this too make them easier for players to "see", but there are actual sized shuttles/fighters in game.

5. Torpedos are too large. Seriously.

6. The Defiant is also too big.

7. The B'rel, and Jem'hadar bugship are supposed to be smaller than the Defiant.

8. The D'deridex and Scimitar of all things are too small.

9. Most of the combages, the TNG ones in particular, are way too big.

10. The Odyssey is an interesting case. Due to it having no canon size, it's tricky trying to figure out how big it's really supposed to be. But the more you look at it currently, the weirder it looks. Going from the number of floors, it's only about the size of the Sovy. However, it looks really stupid at that size. So based on it's crew capacity and description, that makes it wider than a Galaxy class.

11. The Jem'hadar Dreadnought is about half it's actual size.

12. All the shuttles are more or less the same size. Even if you have only a passing experience with the show, you know that this is really wrong.

...and that's just what I have at the top of my head.
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 673
# 5
03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
2. Spacedock is too small. Canonically it can contain 8 Galaxy Class sized ships. The Galaxy Class cannot fit through the doors.
Actually the size of Spacedock is accurate to the films. The starbase we see the Ent-D fly inside in a couple of TNG episodes is not Spacedock, it's Starbase 74, a ludicrously scaled up version of Spacedock. The Galaxy class was never even supposed to be able to enter Spacedock because it was too large. It was intended to dock on the exterior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
8. The D'deridex and Scimitar of all things are too small.

11. The Jem'hadar Dreadnought is about half it's actual size.
No, they're relatively accurate. The Dreadnought was always intended to be 1500m long but in game it's closer to 1300m. The D'deridex is about the same size as the Dread and it's official length was meant to be 1300m. The Scimitar's length is only 800m. The width is what makes it seem big in Nemesis, but really it's not larger than the D'deridex.
Ensign
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 12
# 6
03-13-2013, 09:40 PM
DS9 needs to be smaller.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,180
# 7
03-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis67 View Post
DS9 needs to be smaller.

And Leon's getting Laaaarger

The Following signature is not endorsed by the Dukat administration, and Down with Bajor Party


Rihannsu
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,627
# 8
03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centersolace View Post
7. The B'rel, and Jem'hadar bugship are supposed to be smaller than the Defiant.
Then explain the fact the Bug Ship model had a plate saying the length was 150 meters and also why Martok's BoP was 158 meters?

DS9 is a pile of VF shoots absurdities, the station itself was grown from 1,100 meters to 1,609 meters! the absurdity never ever ends because your 120 meters Defiant makes NO SENSE with the Chaffee shuttlepod.

It appears they hated to be consistent, as much I like to say "the idiocy that is Voyager" at least they had some consistence, sure Voyager had a "Shuttlebay of Holding +3" and there are many absurdities like the Delta Flyer and Voyager Hangar doors (and Neelix ship) but still at least they put down the abilities of Voyager, not "well 120 doesnt work, lets put it at 170" ... granted the Klingon Bird-of-Prey will ALWAYS have size problems because it was shown at different sizes and this is why I dont like when someone tries to bring about a ship that was never consistent in size as "supposedly be" anything because if anything it was not consistence before and guess what? its not going to be consistent with anything you say unless you are saying its size is inconsistent.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,043
# 9
03-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Then explain the fact the Bug Ship model had a plate saying the length was 150 meters and also why Martok's BoP was 158 meters?
You got a screenshot of said plate?

Also the "Starship Spotter" gives the BoP at a length of 88 meters while the "Bird-of-Prey Owner?s Workshop Manual" states the Bird of Prey was produced at several sizes (including the K'vort cruiser) at the Martok's BoP hat a length of 139meters.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,876
# 10
03-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
You got a screenshot of said plate?
No screenshot, but a source.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM.