Career Officer
I am curious where the fans, in general, place all of the individual Star Trek stories such as comic books, novels, video games (including Star Trek Online) and any other story-telling material in relation to the film and television stories.

For example:

Is the STO storyline considered soft canon?

Are Foundry Spotlight Missions considered soft canon?

Is the comic book Countdown considered soft canon?

Would the TNG/X-Men crossover comic book be considered non-canon?

What do you think?

Last edited by alanburch; 03-14-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Captain
# 2
03-14-2013, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanburch View Post
I am curious where the fans, in general, place all of the individual Star Trek stories such as comic books, novels, video games (including Star Trek Online) and any other story-telling material in relation to the film and television stories.

For example:

Is the comic book Countdown considered soft canon?

Would the TNG/X-Men crossover comic book be considered non-canon?

What do you think?
-------------------------------------------------------
anything published before Gene roddenburtys death is Canon
Exception is the fed officers manul-Fasa had there lisence pulled for breaking his canon

Anyhing after GR's death is soft canon , and some is REALLY soft !
Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Career Officer
# 3
03-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellico1 View Post
-------------------------------------------------------
anything published before Gene roddenburtys death is Canon
So...do you think all of the Gold Key comic book stories are canon?
Starfleet Veteran
# 4
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
What I've heard from people actually involved with this is currently anything onscreen (tv shows and movies) = canon, anything not on screen (books, comics, video games) = not canon.

But mostly its whatever the people running Star Trek at the time says is canon.
Career Officer
# 5
03-17-2013, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
But mostly its whatever the people running Star Trek at the time says is canon.
Isn't it all out the airlock with JJ's "alternate timeline" anyway? :/
Captain
# 6
03-17-2013, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfreeman98 View Post
Isn't it all out the airlock with JJ's "alternate timeline" anyway? :/
Not really. It's canon also...in the same way as the events of the mirror universe are.
Republic Veteran
# 7
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
I think calling non-Gene works "soft canon" is rather harsh. That includes most of TNG, all of VOY, DS9, ENT and all Picard's films.
Captain
# 8
03-14-2013, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanburch View Post
So...do you think all of the Gold Key comic book stories are canon?
------------------------------

If they were published before his death he read them and approved them he had complete control of his creation ( Star trek )

Everything published before he died was approved by him including pc games comice and board games , the all obeyed the canon he created

After he died there was no control and many things published by scores of companys completly butched the canon that was created to make a quick sale

This includes tv shows movies books ect , Some tried to stay with the canon some totally disreguarded it and made whatever was needed to make a deadline

STO is a prime example but not alone , many have tried to rewrite the canon but in reality its all soft canon because they dont folow the canon already made

I have enjoyed all of the conon and soft canon things published that i have bought and saw , but i know how its soposed to be and when i see something thats absurd i know it
Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
Career Officer
# 9
03-14-2013, 10:12 AM
You do realise that Gene disapproved of Nick Meyer's militaristic potrayal of Starfleet in Star Trek II?
Is that now non-canon as well?

It's a bit futile to base canon policy on Gene Roddenberry's arrogant boasts given that he was kicked upstairs and stripped of any real power over Star Trek after the utter disasters that were Star Trek: The Motion Picture and later TNG season 1.
Career Officer
# 10
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwei View Post
You do realise that Gene disapproved of Nick Meyer's militaristic potrayal of Starfleet in Star Trek II?
Is that now non-canon as well?

It's a bit futile to base canon policy on Gene Roddenberry's arrogant boasts given that he was kicked upstairs and stripped of any real power over Star Trek after the utter disasters that were Star Trek: The Motion Picture and later TNG season 1.
this right here, while a good guess, is far far from what the truth is...

again, gene is a great man, but he did not create the "canon" rule.. it came when the next generation was aired, as cbs wanted continuity with what gene had created, and thus, wanted the star trek product not to go in a thousand different directions... not saying he wasnt trying to send a message, but at the end of the day, it was his living.. and in the interview that woopie goldberg has with shatner, frakes, nemoy, and stewart, they all agreed on this.. he had a vision, but it wasnt the driving force behind it.. he was a writer trying to get his vision on tv and trying to make his money...

watch interviews with the cast, gene didnt really care about his product being "pure" he was more worried about the money.. tos is a prime example of this.. they break rules that earlier episodes created.. every episode was a mix matched mess.. it wasnt until later in tos, and into the tmp movies, that it established rules, and stayed true to what had already been published..

so again, it has always been considered that onscreen is canon, everything else is soft canon..