Career Officer
# 1 so...what now?
03-16-2013, 03:02 PM
ok, so i'm a va, flying a ship i like (mobius) with mostly mkxii gear, and i have most of the ships i'm interested in in my collection. I'm in a great fleet, and am progressing through the rep systems and doff missions. I have completed all the storyline missions (once, except in a couple cases).

I have little to no interest in the pvp in this game.

please tell me that estf's and fleet mark events are not the pinnacle of endgame in-ship pve content.

I also have little interest in getting out of my ship and playing City of Star Trek on one of the planets.

I've heard the phrase "no win scenario", but am not clear on exactly what it is. and "kerrat" is pvp, right?

In other words, what's the point of getting better gear (by doing estf's), or maximizing my ship's potential with boffs? slightly faster future estf's?

I could probaly advance my character further, but...why?
Captain
# 2
03-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by br3akingforce View Post
please tell me that estf's and fleet mark events are not the pinnacle of endgame in-ship pve content.
I would but to do so would be a lie... sorry, if its any consolation there is a new Star trek game in the works called Excalibur the release date sadly to TBD
Captain
# 3
03-16-2013, 03:15 PM
yea, the official endgame pve content is a morass of untapped potential reduced to marks events.
though this isnt so much cryptics fault as it is the fault of progression gamers demanding more things to grind for

my advice is hit the foundry content.
spawn of medusa series has ground stuff, but its not too bad.
'another mans hell' is another decent one.

there is plently of 'ship only' content with varying degrees of difficluty.
but as i said of untapped potential, there arent enough filters to narrow down the content by much. i usually just hit the custom filter & select 'longer than 30 minutes'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Career Officer
# 4
03-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
yea, the official endgame pve content is a morass of untapped potential reduced to marks events.
though this isnt so much cryptics fault as it is the fault of progression gamers demanding more things to grind for

my advice is hit the foundry content.
spawn of medusa series has ground stuff, but its not too bad.
'another mans hell' is another decent one.

there is plently of 'ship only' content with varying degrees of difficluty.
but as i said of untapped potential, there arent enough filters to narrow down the content by much. i usually just hit the custom filter & select 'longer than 30 minutes'.
ok, foundry is a good suggestion, and one i might end up following... But...what for? my understanding is that foundry rewards are whatever drops during the mission (usually not anything good..just random greens and maybe blues), and a small amount of dil. right? so i'd just be running it for the story (which, while no doubt good and well thought out, won't be canon).

Quote:
is the fault of progression gamers demanding more things to grind for
like what? i thought i understood that for the most part, what they did was take the stuff that was already available, and lock it behind repgates.
Captain
# 5
03-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Quote:
ok, foundry is a good suggestion, and one i might end up following... But...what for? my understanding is that foundry rewards are whatever drops during the mission (usually not anything good..just random greens and maybe blues), and a small amount of dil. right? so i'd just be running it for the story (which, while no doubt good and well thought out, won't be canon).
you said you where looking for content.
now you say you want farm & grind? if you have all the stuff you want why do you want grindwheels rather than content?

regardless, the drops are based on the difficultly similarly to regular content, and there are farm missions to expedite collection of drops.

spotlight missions will net you 2880 dil. the first one you do anyway afer that the usual 1440. unless you do the 15 minute farm spams in which case it will be lower.

Quote:
like what? i thought i understood that for the most part, what they did was take the stuff that was already available, and lock it behind repgates.
not so simple.
you had to collect drops, at random, then trade them for gear.
drops you could grind stf's for 6 months and not see. now its a matter of putting in the resources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redz4tw View Post
can you say attack pattern angry forumers 3?
Career Officer
# 6
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Quote:
you said you where looking for content.
now you say you want farm & grind? if you have all the stuff you want why do you want grindwheels rather than content?
I am looking for content. preferrably harder content, with rewards commensurate to the difficulty.

For example, WoW: regular dungeons (stf's) prepare you with player experience (not just character experience) and gear for heroics. heroics (estf's) prepare you with player experience and gear for raids. raids (no sto equivalent, afaik) prepare you for heroic raids. heroic raids prepare you for the next round of heroics and raids, which are released before most people are able to crush the old content.

It's a system that makes people want to complete content not just to have shiny gear. without it, and the player experience you gain, things in the future are much more difficult.

In sto: why advance beyond being able to reliably complete estf's?

Last edited by br3akingforce; 03-16-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Captain
# 7
03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
I would but to do so would be a lie... sorry, if its any consolation there is a new Star trek game in the works called Excalibur the release date sadly to TBD
What new game?
Captain
# 8
03-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
What new game?
ST Excalibur, it's made by the same peeps who made Bridge commander
Career Officer
# 9
03-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamkafei View Post
ST Excalibur, it's made by the same peeps who made Bridge commander
Um, no, it's made by Modders who were fans of the original Bridge Commander (and that's not a bad thing); but work seems to have slowed to a crawl or completely stalled for the most part.
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012 http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91861979000&dateline=  1340755546
PWE Drone says, "Your STO community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
Career Officer
# 10
03-16-2013, 11:31 PM
Quote:
ok, so i'm a va, flying a ship i like (mobius) with mostly mkxii gear, and i have most of the ships i'm interested in in my collection. I'm in a great fleet, and am progressing through the rep systems and doff missions. I have completed all the storyline missions (once, except in a couple cases).

I have little to no interest in the pvp in this game.

I also have little interest in getting out of my ship and playing City of Star Trek on one of the planets.

I've heard the phrase "no win scenario", but am not clear on exactly what it is. and "kerrat" is pvp, right?

In other words, what's the point of getting better gear (by doing estf's), or maximizing my ship's potential with boffs? slightly faster future estf's?

I could probaly advance my character further, but...why?
Roll a Klingon. Or Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan, or whatever your space pirate of choice is.

If you'd rather not be that awesome, roll a new Fed character in a different career and learn a whole new style of play.

"I won't try to hide behind the Law if what I stand for is what's Right."

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics